See also: Ariège (homonymy)
See also: History of Ariège
A request with the Council of State was posed in order to re-elect the department in the Ariège-Pyrenees . According to the defenders of this project, the mention " Pyrénées" would allow to better locate the department in order to promote it in all France.
See also: Political of Ariège
See also: Geography of Ariège
Ariège belongs to the Région the Midday-Pyrenees. It is bordering on the departments of the Haute-Garonne, the Aude and the the Eastern Pyrenees, as well as Spain (Province of Lérida) and of Andorre. The department is staged north in the south in three distinct geographical areas:
- the Plaine of Ariège located at the north of the department consists of plains, hills and weak small valleys where agriculture is very present. Part of the Lauragais extends on the North-East from the department. Two important rivers, the Ariège and the Lèze cross south to north the plain. The landscape of cereal pieces dominates with the culture of the Maïs and the Tournesol and with Prairie S.
- Pyrenean Piedmont gathers the solid mass of Plantaurel and the hills prépyrénéennes lower than 1.000 meters. Various geological structures form landscapes contrasted like the valley of Foix in its granitic solid mass or the area of Lavelanet with its marnes and its limestone.
- the highland ariégeois represents the high mountains of the Pyrenees exceeding the 1.000 meters of altitude. The peak of Estats, the Montcalm and the Maubermé are the culminating points of the department with 3.143 m, 3.077 m and 2.880 m respectively. The Forêt dominates the landscape where cohabit of the gasolines of coniferous tree with leafy trees like the Châtaignier S, the Acacia S, the Frêne S and the Hêtre S.
According to a Pyrenean paradox , “softness is in North”. Flat of Ariège in north with snows of Spain and Andorra all in the South, one passes from the Hiver S soft and the be S heats and dry to a climate hard, cold, with the abundant Précipitation S by traversing a whole range according to the Altitude and the exposure.
Some values of the temperature in Low-Ariège, raised on more the high summits:
- annual average of 14 °C with 3 °C
- annual average of the minima of 8 °C with - 1 °C
- annual average of maximum of 19°C with 7°C
The Chamber of commerce and of industry of Ariège has its seat with Foix.
See also: Tourism in Ariège
Departmental committee of tourism of the Ariège-Pyrenees
See also: Demography of Ariège
The inhabitants of Ariège are Ariégeois.
137.205 inhabitants (145 000 inhabitants 1/1/2005 estimate)
District/Foix: 50.114/Pamiers: 61.058/Holy Bosoms: 26.033
City/Pamiers: 15.013/Foix: 9.708/Lavelanet: 7.130/Holy Bosoms: 6.765
Source: recencement INSEE 1999
See also: Culture in Ariège
See also: Kitchen ariégeoise
- Jacques Baker (1285-1342), bishop of Pamiers then of Mirepoix, Pope under the name of Benoit XII of 1336 with 1342 (Avignon), born with Laid close to Saverdun.
- Michel-Aime Baudouy (1909-1999), academic, novelist and dramatic author, born with the Vernet of Ariège.
- Pierre Bayle (1647-1706), philosopher and writer, born with the Carla-Bayle (at the time Carla-the-Count ; the commune changed name into its homage).
- Marc Guillaume Alexis Vadier (1736-1828), politician, deputy with the national Convention, creator of the department of Ariège.
- Theophilus Delcassé (1852-1923), politician. Born with Pamiers.
- Fabien Barthez (1971-), footballer, born with Lavelanet.
- Eric Career (1973-), footballer, born with Foix.
- Augustin Bonrepaux (1936-), politician, Appointed of Ariège and chairs general advice of Ariège, former president of the committee of supply to the National Assembly. Actor of the road opening-up of Ariège in particular by the Tunnel of Puymorens.
- Jean-Pierre Bel (1951-), president of the socialist group to the French Senate and mayor of Lavelanet.
- Roger Fauroux (1926-), former minister, former mayor of Saint-Bosoms.
- Gabriel Fauré (1845-1924), type-setter born with Pamiers.
- Frederic Soulié (1800-1847), novelist born with Foix.
- Christian d' Orgeix (1927-), contemporary artist born with Foix.
- Georges-Patrick Gleize, novelist.
- Joseph Lakanal (1762-1845), born with Greenhouse-on-Arget, appointed with the national Convention.
- Isabelle Sandy, writer, born with saint hones river
- List of the deputies of Ariège
- List of the senators of Ariège
- List of the general advisers of Ariège
- List of the prefects of Common Ariège
- of Ariège
- Old communes of Ariège
- List of bridges of Ariège
- Prefecture of Ariège
- General advice of Ariège
- CCI of Ariège
|Random links:||112 (group) | PHP | Flein | Company linnéenne of Provence | Pavie-Macquin castle | Theodor Bredichin|