Arc of Wellington
See also: Wellington (homonymy)
The arc of Wellington is a Triumphal arch located at the south of Hyde Park in the center of London. It was ordered by the king George IV in 1825 to commemorate the British victories during the Napoleonean Guerres.
The arc of Wellington was also used as door of access towards Constitution Hill creating an entry of prestige thus to London while coming from the west.
Also known under the name d
In 1846, the arc was selected to accommodate a statue representing Sir Arthur Wellesley, 1st duke of Wellington, soldier and Prime Minister. The equestrian statue of the duke of Wellington is due to Matthew Cotes Wyatt and has a 8,5 meters height, largest never manufactured until this time. Its size caused many controversies during its construction.
At the time of its displacement, the statue of the duke was moved with Aldershot and was replaced in 1912 by imposing a Quadrige out of bronze of Adrien Jones. The statue represents the Angel of Peace going down on its tank from war. The face of the driver of the tank which guides the quadriga is a young boy (the son of Lord Michelhan, the person having financed the sculpture). This statue is the largest bronze statue of Europe.
Dig inside, until 1992 was installed the second smaller police station of London (smallest is with Trafalgar Square). In 1999, English Heritage took it again. It is opened to the public and is exposed there on three stages the history of this building.
- Seen satellite of the Arc of Wellington on WikiMapia
|Random links:||County of Maricopa | FiltraciÃ³n de Bogon | Bizzy Bone | Anthropology of health | Wallace Breen | SuperGrave | Indicatif_régional_252|