Its inhabitants is called Antoniens.
GeographyAntony is a city of the southern suburbs of Paris, located in the Hurepoix crossed by the river Bièvre, chief town of district of the Hauts-de-Seine, with twelve kilometers in the south of the Cathédrale Notre-Dame de Paris. Its altitude is of 45 m for the point low on the level of the valley of the Bièvre and 103 m for the highest point in extreme cases of Châtenay-Malabry.
Antony with the characteristic to be with the confluence of three departments:
- the the Essonne, with the communes of Glass-the-Bush to the west, Wissous in the east, Massy in the south,
- the Hauts-de-Seine, with the communes of Châtenay-Malabry to the west, Seals and Borough-the-Queen in north,
- the the Valley-of-Marne, with the communes of Fresnes and the Haÿ-the-Pinks in the east.
ParksSeveral parks are on the commune, including two more important: the Park of Seals and the Park Heller.
Transport6 stations of the RER are on the commune:
- 5 stations of. North in the south:
- Park of Seals,
- Antony, only station where all the trains stop. The new station, entirely rebuilt, was brought into service in June 2002, the daily traffic is approximately 30.000 travellers there.
- Fountain Michalon,
- the station Way of Antony of.
- Of many lines of bus;
In addition, since 1991, one can in a few minutes join the Aéroport of Orly by the ''' Orlyval ''' starting from the station Antony of the RER B.
The known origins of the city go back to the 3rd century. The name “Antony” is of Latin origin, it comes from a Gallo-Roman owner of the name of Antonius, it is quoted in a confirmation of the king Louis Ier the Piles, made with the abbots of Saint-Germain-of-Meadows into 829, possession of Antony where it is written Antoniacum cum ipsa capella . The commune was called Anthoniaco, Anthognyaco, Antoigni, Antongni, Antoni and Antony since the 18th century, except for one short period during the French revolution where it took the name of Antony-Revolution.
10th century - 15th century: Antony was one of the principal dependences of the Abbaye of Saint-Germain-of-Meadows. The inhabitants all of Antony were serfs of this abbey. They were freed as from 1248.
16th century - 18th century: The road from Paris to Orleans is paved under François 1st. The road crossed the Beaver with the “Bridge of Antony” of or a way led to the center of the village close to the Saint-Saturnin church
19th century: Antony remained primarily agricultural until the 19th century. The city was known for its relay of station to the horses which accommodated the travellers with the crossroads called “Cross of Berny”. The construction of the railroad deeply transformed the activity of the city when the Ligne of Seals was open in 1854, as well as the Arpajonnais at the end of the 19th century.
20th century: Antony was the first city of the department of the Seine released by the troops of the the 2nd armor-plated division of the general Leclerc.
Church Saint-Saturnin : chorus of the end of the 12th century, bell-tower of, nave of the 15th century, modern southern vault. Beautiful stained glasses of the end of the 19th century, beginning of the 20th century - organ of quality. The belfry supports four bells of which oldest, Charlotte-Genevieve, date of 1730. This monument, registered voter with the additional inventory of the historic buildings by decree of October 19th, 1928 (reference PA00088057), was the object of important renovation works these last years. The presbytery was restored in 1989. Inventory Base Mérimée: IA00121273
Church Saint-François d' Assise : built in 1972 (Paul Henry, architect)
Saint-Jean-Carry-Latin Church : built in 1967 (Paul Pinsard, architect). The “urban signal”, surmounted of a giant cross, was inaugurated on January 6th, 2002.
Church Holy-Jeanne-of-Chantal : the building comes from the colonial exposure of 1931. Not to confuse it with the church Holy-Jeanne-of-Chantal located at Paris, one added the qualifier “out-the-walls” to specify that it was not in the walls of Paris.
Church Saint-Maxime : built of 1978 to 1980 (Paul Henry, architect), very beautiful organ. The church was devoted to the catholic worship on November 16th, 1980.
Church Holy-Odile : built in 1933 (Charles Venner, architect) within the framework of the “building sites of the Cardinal”. Inventory Base Mérimée: IA00121272
Vault “Sainte-Marie Mother of the Church” of the Institution Sainte-Marie : built in 1968 (Georges Dengler and Zunz, architects), very beautiful and very large openwork brick wall, work of the Master-glassmaker Henri Martin-Granel, large ceramics fresco of 41 m ², work of Jacqueline Bechet-Ferber
Church evangelist Baptist : entirely rebuilt, inaugurated in March 2001, modern architecture, important stained glasses.
The House Midsummer's Day , old property Chénier known as of the Beautiful Levantine . This building was built by Chénier Louis-Saver, wire junior by Louis Chénier, and brother of André Chénier in the fields of the architect Georges Auguste Ranchon. This house belonged to Jean-Charles Persil, minister of Louis-Philippe, which died there in 1870. She belongs today to the community Marianiste of Antony. The frontages and the roof of this building were registered with the additional inventory of the historic buildings by decree of November 21st, 1973 (reference PA00088059). Inventory Base Mérimée: IA00121237
Old royal manufacture of the waxes (14 avenue du Bois- of-Glass):
dont the exact name was “Manufacture of Antony for the washing of waxes & the factory of the candles”. This manufacture was founded in 1702 by Péan of Saint-Gilles, it becomes royal manufacture in 1719.
Le building of origin was built in 1714, one produced there candles and candles for the court of Versailles and the other castles of the area. A clock with stamp with hammer surmounts the roof. It is called “Trudonne” in remembering Mrs Trudon who offered this clock to the workmen of her husband. This building is occupied today by the Sœurs of Saint-Joseph of Cluny which settled there in 1890. It was registered with the additional inventory of the historic buildings by decree of April 10th, 1929 (reference PA00088060). Inventory Base Mérimée: IA00121241.
La vault was built in 1930 in the fields of the Hardy architect. The house of Master was demolished in 1961 after the sale of the park, to leave room to a whole of apartment buildings.
Principal equipment of the city: the Firmin-Gémier theater, the cinema Sélect, the Academy Darius Milhaud, the Library and the House of Arts.
Theater Firmin Gémier - the Swimming pool
The theater Firmin Gémier was created in 1967 on the initiative of the mayor, Georges Sweating. The direction was entrusted to Jacques Sarthou (actor, director), then director of the Theater of the Ile de France. This theater of 500 places was installed in the market built in 1930 on the place of the market. Some improvements were made: the seats were laid out on steps. Several very creative directors animated the theater and thus brought to Antony a cultural life which found quickly a public faithful.
In 2003 was created a “space circus”, national scene, where the capitals of “new circuses” settle regularly.
In June a festival Solstice turned towards arts of the circus and the street takes place.
The city is located in the academy of Versailles. Two academic institutes of training of the Masters are established there: the IUFM Valley-of-Beaver and the IUFM Leon-Jouhaux.
The city has fifteen nursery schools and thirteen communal elementary schools, which accommodate approximately: 5300 pupils.
- 15 nursery schools: Ferdinand Bush, Andre Chénier, Anatole France, Jules Ferry, Jean Moulin, Adolphe Pajeaud, Jean Zay, Walnut tree-Gilded, Crêpe, Reductions, the Fountain, Dunoyer de Segonzac, Valley-of-Beaver, Andre Pasquier, Paul Bert.
13 elementary schools:
- Paul Bert, Edmond Blanguernon (school on 2 sites: Edmond Blanguernon and Andre-Chénier), Ferdinand-Bush, Jules-Ferry, Anatole-France, Adolphe-Pajeaud, Walnut tree-Gilded (this school is located in the district of Baconnets), Velpeau, Andre-Pasquier, the Fountain, Dunoyer-of-Segonzac and Reductions.
- the college Anne Frank, whose building, built in 1978-1980, is a very original construction. It is the result of the “policy of the models”: the municipality having chosen one of the models suggested by the ministry, and having then asked two architects Jean Nouvel and Gilbert Lézenès to adapt the model according to their creative inspiration and of the constraints of the ground
- the college Descartes which is a general high school and technological. He proposes the sections economic and social, scientific, literary and finally science of the management sciences. He has 1300 pupils
- the college François Furet, which replaced the old college Ferdinand-Bush in a new building, inaugurated on February 7th, 2003 by Luc Ferry, Minister for State education, and by Mona Ozouf, historian, research director at CNRS.
- the college Henri-Georges Adam
- the college the Fountain
Three colleges: Theodore Monod and his appendix; Descartes.
It also counts three private establishments:
- the Jewish school Ozar Hatorah,
- the new school of Antony,
- the Sainte-Marie Institution, establishment Marianiste.
The sports complex says “stage of Croix-de-Berny”, or “metropolitan Sporting union”: Gaston Vrolix, chief engineer of the RATP, creates in 1928 the metropolitan Sporting union (current USMT). He builds a sports complex on the site of part of the old racecourse of Croix-de-Berny, of which he transforms the stables into cloakrooms. The first section is started in 1928, along the R.N. 186; it includes/understands: football fields, of Rugby, hockey, basketball, tennis, swimming pool, plays for children, gymnasium, shooting. About 1932 the second is built slices more in north: grounds of Rugby and tennis, stage of athletics. The third section includes/understands a Basque pediment of ball, and a cycle-racing track built in 1938 by a Dutch architect (concrete counterpart, wood track of Vigorelli to Milan).
Other equipment: the municipal stage Georges-Sweating (in the past stage Salvador Allende), the Georges-Heller park, the stage Crêpe, the sporting center Lionel-Terray, the gymnasium Pierre-of-Coubertin, the gymnasium of the Reductions, the gymnasium the Fountain, the center Andre-Malraux, the field Jacques-Junior, the gymnasium Anatole-France, the Pajeaud gymnasium, 6 grounds of tennis shoe in free access downtown, sporting installations in the Park of Seals, rooms and tennis of the Residence hall, the Pony Club, the bowling pitch, the skate Park, the 3 swimming pools (Lionel-Terray, Iris, Snap fastener) and all sports equipment of the schools (colleges and colleges).
Antony is the principal center of the Communauté of agglomeration Tops of Beaver .
The canton of Antony includes/understands only part of the commune. The other part belongs to the canton of Borough-the-Queen.
ElectionsFor the electoral deadlines of 2007 Antony belonged to the 82 communes of more than 3500 inhabitants having used the machines to vote.
Antenna of the Chamber of commerce and industry of Paris.
PersonalitiesWere born in Antony (classified by age):
- Auguste Champetier de Ribes, politician, born in 1882.
- Louise de Vilmorin, writer, born in 1902.
- Madeleine Lebeau, actress of cinema, born in 1923.
- Philippe Duron, politician, born in 1946.
- Jules-Edouard Moustic, born in 1952, presenter high-speed motorboat of the chain Canal+.
- Stephan and Nicolas Sirchis of the group Indo-China, twin brothers born in 1959
- Élie Semoun, humorist, actor, writer, poet and chansonnier, born in 1963.
- Agnes Jaoui, actress, scenario writer, director and singer, born in 1964.
- Manuela Ramin-Osmundsen, lawyer, president of the Norwegian Management of Immigration, born in 1964.
- Christian Quesada, three times gaining of the finale of the play “of the Figures and the Letters” born in 1964.
- Pascale Doniguian, born in 1966.
- Laurent Lafforgue, mathematician, born in 1966, prize winner in 2002 of prestigious the Medal Fields (equivalent of the Nobel in mathematics).
Lived an important part of their life with Antony (classified alphabetically):
Spéranza Calo, professional singer of Greek origin, her husband Jean Charles Séailles, inventor, and their children Simone Séailles, resistant, whose street of Antony bears the name, Jean Séailles, resistant, and Pierre Séailles, resistant; the family vault of the old cemetery of Antony is decorated of a sculpture of Jan and Joel Martel
- Georges Chaulet, writer, creator of Fantômette, born in 1931
- Patrick Devedjian, mayor of the town of 1983 to 2002, former minister, born in 1944
- Didier Drogba, footballer evolving/moving in the club of Chelsea passed part of his childhood in the district of Baconnets has Antony where his/her parents always reside.
- Richard Guino, sculptor of Catalan origin, died in Antony in 1973
- François Mole, actor of theater. After its death on December 11th, 1802, and as it had wished, it was buried in its property whose entry is always visible with 1 rue des sources, like its tomb close to the entry of the Parc Heller, in the avenue which bears its name.
- Georges Nomarski, inventor of the microscope with interferential contrast, died in Antony in 1997
- Jean-Charles Persil, minister of Louis-Philippe, died in his house with Antony in 1870
- Jonathan Zebina, footballer evolving/moving in the club of the Juventus
See also the famous residents of the Residence hall Jean Zay.
TwinningsAntony is twinned with:
- , district of Berlin (250 000 hab.)
- , in the State of the Massachusetts (30 000 hab.)
- , in the south-east of London (248 000 hab.)
- , in the North-East of Greece (20 000 hab.), the protocol of twinning was signed on September 9th, 2000.
- , in the south of Tel-Aviv (20 000 hab.)
- , industrial big city close to Turin (50 000 hab.)
- , city located at 200 km of Prague (102 000 hab.)
- , city located at 50 km of Moscow
- , seaside resort close to Tunis (50 000 hab.)
Life of associationsAntony counts more than 300 active associations, including 23 in the field “district-environment-habitat”.
- One of the most active associations is the CDR MaVal which fights against the introduction of a rail expressway between Massy and Valenton. CDR MaVal, apolitical association, promotes an extension of line TGV in exclusive right of way which would safeguard the peace of thousands of residents. The president of CDR MaVal is Jean Moureh and association counts more than 200 members.
- the Association of the Friends of the Theater Firmin Gémiercréée in 1972, supports the cultural activities and theatrical in Southern Suburbs. It militates actively for the rebuilding on the spot of the Theater Firmin Gémier.
SportThe practice of the sport is a priority since long years with Antony: 40 disciplines are practiced there in 40 rooms and stages thanks to more than 50 sporting clubs.
The tennis tournament handisportThe every years in July, Antony organizes with the park of Seals (the Snap fastener) the international tournament of tennis handisport which receives the best players of the world. The last tournament proceeded from Tuesday, June 26 to Sunday the 1st er July 2007.
The sports associations are gathered within the Council of the sport antonien (SCUMS).
- Official site of the town of Antony
|Random links:||2047 | Kienheim | Haucourt (Oise) | Regulate with tenons | Little Bernera | ENFOPOL|