Antoine Faivre (born on June 5th, 1934 in the surroundings of Rheims) is a philosopher and enquiring French. He is the first to have constituted the pulpit of “History of the Western esotericism” like speciality specific within the academic discipline “History of the Religions” to the EPHE (Practical Ecole of the High Studies) with the Sorbonne, the first of this type in Europe. Two other pulpits were constituted later at the universities of Amsterdam (Wouter Jacobus Hanegraaff) and of Exeter in England (Nicholas Goodrick-Clarke).
Faivre published many books since 1962 on the esotericism and natural philosophy. It passes to be the researcher of the end of 20th which contributed in a decisive way to the establishment of this branch of research .
He is member many authorities, inter alia scientific advisory counsel of the review Suevica, and is the director for France of discussed Center for the study of the new religions (C.E.S.N.U.R.).
PublicationsOnly the works published since 1990 are indicated:
- Golden Fleece and alchemy , Milan, Arch, 1990. English translation (very increased text): Golden delicious Fleece and Alchemy , Albany, State University off New York Near, 1993, reprint 1995.
- Philosophy of nature (physical crowned and theosophy, XVIIIe-XIXe centuries) , Paris, Albin Michel, 1996 (Price of philosophy Louis Black poplar, the Academy of Science morals and policies). Italian edition in progress.
- The Eternal Hermes (From Greek God to Alchemical Magus) , Large Rapids, Phanes Near, 1996. Italian edition: I volti di Ermete , Roma, Atanor, 2001.
- Access to the Western esotericism , Paris, Gallimard (“Library of the social sciences”), vol. I, 1986, 2nd ED., 1996, and vol. II, 1996. English translation of the vol. I: Access to Western Esotericism , Albany, State University off New York Near, 1994, and of the vol. II: Theosophy, Imagination, Tradition. Studies in Western Esotericism , Albany, State University off New York Near, 2000.
- the esotericism , Paris, PUF (“Which do I know? ”), 1992, 3rd ED., re-examined and corrected, 2003. Translated into seven languages.
Scientific laboratory of fastening
- Center of studies of the religions of the Book (UMR 8584, CNRS-EPHE-Paris IV).
Co-operation with other institutions
- University off Amsterdam, Faculty off Humanities, Department off History off Hermetic Philosophy and Related Currents (Oude Tufmarkt 147, NL - 1012 GC Amsterdam).
- American Academy off Religion (825 Houston Millet RD CO. 300, Atlanta, GA 30329-04246).
- University off California, Riverside, Department off Religious Studies (1609 Social Humanities and Sciences Building, University off California, Riverside, CA 92521).
- California State University, Fullerton, Department off Comparative Religions (P.O. Box 6868, Fullerton, CA 92834-6868).
- International Association for the History off Religions (mobile seat).
- Deputy manager, with R. Edighoffer and W.J. Hanegraaff, of the review Aries (Leiden, Brill).
- Directing of the collection “Books of hermetism” (Paris, Albin Michel, then Dervy).
- Directing of the collection “Library of hermetism” (Paris, Albin Michel, then Dervy).
- Member of Leading European Board of the review Religion (Department off Religious Studies, Lancaster University, Lancaster LA1 4YW, the U.K.).
- Conference “Henry Corbin and compared spirituality”, in joint management, EPHE - Section of religious Sciences, June 1999.
- Conference “Hierarchy and traditions”, in joint management, EPHE - Section of religious Sciences, May 2000.
- American Academy off Religion, joint management of Program Links “Western Esotericism from the Early Modern Period”, Boston, November 1999 and 2000.
- Colloque “Esotericism and Protestantism in XVIe and XVIIe centuries”, in joint management, EPHE - Section of religious Sciences, March 2000.
- Co-organization and animation of the International symposium “Fernando Pesoa, Aleister Crowley and esotericism”, Lisbon and Cascais, June 2000.
- International Association for the History off Religions. Joint management of Program Links “Jewish Mysticism and Western Esotericism”, Durban (South Africa), August 2000.
- Esotericism and university
|Random links:||Deux del Ã de Folie | Richard Mallié | Līvi | Camp Cracks Eel | Championships of the world of cross-country skiing 1966 | Carl Bezold | Egregore|