Al Jazeera (in Arab rear RTL الجزيرة ), often retranscribed Al-Jazira , Al-Jezira or Al Djazira in France, of its complete name the satellite channel Al Jazira (rear RTL قناةالجزيرةالفضائية), is a television channel Qatar IE become in very little time very listened world media, at the point to be called the Arab CNN . In October 2001, the Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak visits some in their modest buildings would have said: “ It is thus of this small box of matches that all this din comes”. It is estimated that the chain in Arab language counts today between 35 and 40 million daily televiewers in the world.
Il exists an English variation of the chain panarabe called Al Jazeera English, intended mainly to the not-Arabic-speaking people, more particularly for the televiewers of North America and Southeast Asia.
HistoryThe chain Al Jazeera whose name literally means “ the peninsula ” was launched on November 1st 1996, according to the will of the sheik Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani, emir of Qatar, and is based with Doha with the Qatar.
It emits 24 hours a day since 1998, and it is diffused in 35 countries, mainly the Middle East, but also in Europe. In France, it is diffused in the bouquets TPS, Canalsat and offers it Free and of Last nine. Nevertheless, one can receive Al Jazeera free since it diffuses in light on the satellites Hot Bird and Astra. In England, it employs 60 journalists and laid out, in 2001, of a budget of 30 million dollars.
In Occident, Al Jazeera is regarded by certain as the voice of the islamist ones because it offers other sights on the topicality of the Arab world that those of the great European or North-American media. It is especially about a chain of international information which aims, just like its model CNN makes it for Europe and the United States, to let be expressed “ all the Arab sensitivities ” with the problems that can generate. In the Arab world on the other hand, Al Jazeera is often regarded as pro-American.
Its first victory over the media ground was a video recording of Usama Bin Laden at the time of the American intervention against the talibans in Afghanistan, which it had presented, the October 7th 2001, like direct, but which proved to be a preregistered document. During all the mode of the Taliban S, it was only international television to have correspondents in this country.
During the war of Afghanistan, its positions and its reports were shown to be pro-talibans and anti-American, and focused, of share its reports, the Moslem public opinion against the the United States. The American chains then had censured its images and even called (Daily News) the soldiers to regard it as potential target for a bombardment. The October 3rd 2001, Colin Powell, Secretary of State American, had been addressed to the Sheik Hamad Ben Khalifa Al-Thani, emir of Qatar and principal shareholder of the chain, requiring of him to intervene with the direction in order to modify its cover of the events.
The buildings of the chain were bombarded by the United States with 2 recoveries: the first time in Afghanistan and the second in Iraq. A journalist, Tarik Ayyoub, died in Baghdad because of the bombardment. The Daily Mirror announced the November 22nd 2005 in one that Bush would have liked to bombard the buildings chain with Doha but Tony Blair would have dissuaded some. Sami Al-Haj, a journalist-cameraman Sudan board, was also victim of this policy, it is locked up today with the Prison of Guantanamo.
Al Jazeera on InternetGroup Al Jazeera has four Internet sites: two sites for chain Al Jazeera (in Arab and English), a site for Al Jazeera Sport and a site for Al Jazeera Children. The group has to change on several occasions shelterer because of his orientations and the political pressures. End March 2003, during the war against Iraq, the search engines received three times more requests relative to Al Jazeera. On Google, the number of requests with word Al Jazeera had known the greatest growth at the time of the last week of March 2003. Then, first week of April, this request passed from the 3rd place to the first. Al Jazeera then launches an english language version to face the increasing demand of Western Net surfers who see the chain like an alternative vision with the information delivered by the Western mediums and Anglo-Saxons during the war against the Iraq. At the time of the war in Iraq, a young data processing specialist of Los Angeles, John William Root, had succeeded in redirecting the visitors of the site towards a page posting an American flag as well as the patriotic currency: " That freedom triomphe". He was condemned, in November 2003, with 2.000 dollars of fine and 1.000 work hours of public interest by a court of California. Today the Al Jazeera site is the site more visited in the Arab Monde and is classified 222 on the international scales. Each day, the site is visited by more than 3,3 million people. In April 2004, Webby Awards nominated site Al Jazeera like one of the five best Web sites with the sites of BBC News, National Geographic, RocketNews and The Smoking Gun.
November 1996, launching of the chain.
- January 2001, launching of the Web site Aljazeera.net in Arabic.
- Thursday the 4th October 2001, diffusion of images not gone back to Usama Bin Laden and which would have been turned during the meeting of fusion between the Al-Qaeda terrorist movements and of the Egyptian Djihad.
- Sunday the 7th October 2001, diffusion, as of the beginning of strike air, of a video preregistered of Usama Bin Laden, which announces: “ America will know safety never again before Palestine does not know it and before all the Western armies do not leave the Holy Lands ”.
- Friday the 19th October 2001, interview of Donald Rumsfeld, American Secretary of State to Defense.
- Saturday the 22nd June 2002, diffusion of a sound recording of a spokesperson of Al-Qaeda Abou Ghaïth which affirms that Usama Bin Laden is in good health and that the the United States again will be struck.
- Thursday the 5th and Sunday the 8th September 2002, diffusion of a maintenance in 2 parts, carried out in June with Karachi with the Pakistan, with 2 Al-Qaeda dirigants, the Kuwaiti Khaled Sheik Mohammed , and the Yemeni Ramzi Ben Al-Shaiba , in which they assert the logistic organization of the attacks of the September 11th.
- June 13rd 2002, imprisonment of the journalist Sami Al-Haj with the prison of Guantanamo
- Monday the 9th September 2002, diffusion of a radiophonic maintenance allotted to Usama Bin Laden which asserts the attacks of September 11th. The American department launches a “world alarm” against of new terrorist activities.
- Tuesday the 8th October 2002, diffusion of a sound recording, islamist Ayman al-Zawahiri , founder of the Egyptian Djihad, in which he threatens of attacks the France and the Germany.
- Tuesday the 12th November 2002, diffusion of a new recognized sound recording as coming from the terrorist chief Usama Bin Laden in whom he greets the last attacks with the Yemen, with the Kuwait, Bali, Moscow, and in advertisement the new ones. It warns and threat several Western countries to be the target again new attacks if they continued to support “ the gang of the butchers of the White House ”.
- January 2003, cooperation agreement between Al Jazeera and BBC.
- Tuesday the 11th February 2003, diffusion of a recorded message, allotted to Usama Bin Laden and calling the Moslems with the Djihad against the Westerners in the event of attack against Iraq. Colin Powell sees there the proof of collaboration between Saddam Hussein and Usama Bin Laden.
- the 8 April 2003, the agency of Al Jazeera of Baghdad is attacked by American forces. To defer Tareq Ayyoub is killed, in spite of the fact that the American forces were informed of the precise place where the offices were. A similar event had taken place against the agency of Kabul, during the American military intervention in Afghanistan.
- 26 March 2003, interview of Colin Powell, American Secretary of State.
- Friday the 4th July 2003, diffusion of a message of Saddam Hussein, dated from the June 14th in which he declares: “ We sacrificed the capacity, but we refuse to sacrifice our principles, our faith and our honor ”. Five other messages will be diffused until the end of August.
- November 2003, Al launching Jazeera Sport.
- April 2004, founders of Al Jazeera among the 100 most influential people of the year according to the weekly magazine Time Magazine.
- 7 August 2004, the Iraqi temporary government closes for one indefinite duration the local office of the chain, asserting that Al Jazeera presents an negative image of Iraq and troops of the coalition.
- September 9th 2005, Al launching Jazeera Children.
- 19 July 2006: the corresponding one of the chain in the West Bank is attacked by an Israeli vehicle which tried to strike it by the back whereas it covered on line the events with Nablus. The technician of the chain which accompanied it was touched with the foot by rubber balls.
- 15 November 2006: launching of Al Jazeera English.
|Random links:||(14) Irene | Via Canada Rail | Edward Foley | Matagne-the-large | Kassem Hachem | Arteritis_temporel|