See also: Varda (homonymy)
Agnès Varda (born Arlette Varda, the May 30th 1928 with Ixelles, Belgium) is a Réalisatrice of Cinéma and a French Photographe . It in particular carried out the Film S the Short Point (1955), Cléo from 5 to 7 (1962), Without roof nor law (1985) and Glaneurs and glaneuse the (1999).
In 2002, the whole of its cinematographic work is rewarded by the Prix Rene Clair for the French Academy.
BiographyIt was born from a Greek father and a French mother. After having lived its early childhood in Belgium, its adolescence with Sète, then with Paris, it occupies an use of photographer to the popular National theater, then carried out by Jean Vilar. It will meet the realizer Jacques Demy, her engaged couple, in this city. They are the parents of the actor Mathieu Demy. Agnès Varda is one of the rare directors resulting from the New wave
In 1954, using sober means, it creates the Short Point with Philippe Noiret and Silvia Monfort as actors and Alain Resnais like Monteur. This film will make date, because it brings a breath of freedom on the French cinema.
Five years later, it produces Cléo from 5 to 7 , a film on a singer with superb figure and mortally patient. Varda will produce other films which will make of it, in the Années 1960, one of representing New wave, although it is defended some.
Between 1968 and 1970, it remains with Los Angeles, where it produces a hippie-Hollywood film: Lions coils . Of return in France, it makes a feminist and optimistic film: One sings, the other not . Then, set out again to Los Angeles between 1979 and 81, it turns two documentary: one very noticed on the murals: Wall walls and Documenteur . During its first voyage it became acquainted with famous King Lézard alias Jim Morrison singer of the group The Doors; this last had in addition obtained a diploma in cinematography with UCLA in 1965. It was one of the rare people to have attended the burial of Morrison to the Cimetière of the Father-Lachaise.
In 1985, Without roof nor law , putting in the high-speed motorboat Sandrine Bonnaire, is worth the to him Lion of gold to Venice. In 1987, she films Jane Birkin, which saw painful professional moments, because she has just crossed the 40 year old bar. Varda leaves two films there fiction: Jane B. by Agnes v. and Kung Fu Master .
After the death of her husband Jacques Demy in 1990, it carries out three films in its homage: Jacquot of Nantes , a fiction and two documentary: the Young ladies were 25 years old and the Universe of Jacques Demy .
In 1995, for the hundredth birthday of the cinema, with the support of several high-speed motorboats, it creates the Hundreds and one nights , an imagination filled of winks and references to the cinema. It will be a failure.
In 1999, Glaneurs and glaneuse the is another important moment in its career. It extensively uses a Numeric camera there, which gives the opportunity to him to realize, only, a work on the Glanage. This documentary fascinating will be well accommodated by the critics and the public. Two years afterwards, it carries out a continuation under the title Two years after .
In 2005, it is member of the jury of the feature-length films to the Cannes festival 2005. Always the same year, the Québécois Cinémathèque pays to him homage by the means of a filmographic retrospective and a photographic exposure. Agnès Varda carries out the multiple supplements for the exit of the DVD of collection Cléo from 5 to 7 and Daguerréotypes .
Feminist engagementAgnès Varda belongs to the personalities which signed the Manifeste of the 343 in France, in company of many feminists.
Catalog of films
- 1955 : the Short Point
- 1957: O seasons, O castles (short-measuring)
- 1958: the Opera mouffe (documentary)
- 1958: On the side of the coast (documentary)
- 1962: Cléo from 5 to 7
- 1963: Hello the Cubans (short-measuring)
- 1965: Happiness
- 1966: the Creatures
- 1967: Uncle Yanco (short-measuring)
- 1967: Far from Vietnam (documentary collective with Chris Marker, Jean-Luc Godard, Alain Resnais, Joris Ivens, William Klein, Claude Lelouch)
- 1968: Black Panthers (documentary)
- 1969: Lions Coils
- 1970: Nausicaa (TV)
- 1975: Answers of the women (documentary)
- 1976: Pleasure of love in Iran (short-measuring)
- 1977: One sings, the other not
- 1977: Answers of women (documentary)
- 1978: Daguerreotypes (documentary)
- 1981: Walls, walls (documentary)
- 1981: Documenteur
- 1982 : Ulysses (short-measuring)
- 1983: One minute for an image (series TV)
- 1984: the Known as caryatids (documentary)
- 1984: 7p., cook., S. of B.,… to seize (short-measuring)
- 1985: Without roof nor law
- 1986: You ace of beautiful staircases you know (short-measuring)
- 1987: Jane B. by Agnes V.
- 1987: Kung fu master!
- 1991 : Jacquot of Nantes
- 1993: the Young ladies had 25 years (documentary)
- 1995: Hundreds and One Nights of Simon Cinema
- 1995: Universe of Jacques Demy (documentary)
- 2000: Glaneurs and glaneuse the (documentary)
- 2002: Glaneurs and glaneuse… two years after (documentary)
- 2003: the volatile Lion (short-measuring)
- 2004: Ydessa, bears and etc (documentary)
- 2004: Cinévardaphoto (documentary)
- 2004: Der Viennale '04-Trailer card (short-measuring)
- 2005: Some widows of Noirmoutier (documentary)
- 2007: Installation in the Pantheon of Paris for the ceremony of installation of a plate to the memory of the Right among the Nations of France; 2 unseen films out of 4 screens and some 300 portraits the Right ones.
|Random links:||Lazzi | Whorl (city) | Montauriol (Aude) | Year Lushan | Séveraisse | Accentor with black throat | 112_AVANT_JÉSUS_CHRIST|