GeographyThe Adige is one of the four large Italian rivers (the second after the Po), with its 410 km, it takes its source 1507 meter from altitude to the Col of Resia ( Reschenpass ), Val Venosta ( Hochvinschgau ) of the province of the Haut-Adige, in the south of the the Tyrol. It sprinkles the towns of Merano ( Meran ), Bolzano ( Bozen ), there it borrows the valley of the Brenner to go down again on Thirty, Rovereto, Vérone, Legnago, shaves the north of Rovogo then crosses Cavarzere before throwing in the Adriatic Sea, where, with the mouth of the Brenta, it delimits the littoral of Isola Verde.
Its hydraulic basin is of 12.200 km ² (what puts it in third position behind Po and the the Tiber), 7.200 km are in High Adige (on 140 km).
curiosity is that the source of Adige, is not that visible with the collar of Resia, as indicated on the sign, but is located a few front meters, inside a bunker of the Vallo Alpino Littorio in Viola Adige, close to the Barrage
ValleysThe valley of flow of the river bears several names:
- Valley Venosta, between the source and Merano, national park
- Valley of Adige, between Merano and Rovereto,
- Vallagarina, between Rovereto and Vérone,
- Valley Padana, between Vérone and the mouth.
- Rio RAM (Rambach) close to Glorenza (Glurns) (BZ),
- Passirio (To pass) close to Merano (Meran) (BZ),
- Isarco (Eisack) meadows of Bolzano (Bozen) (BZ),
- the Wedding close to Mezzocorona (TN),
- Avisio close to Washing (TN),
- Fersina Close to Thirty
- Leno close to Rovereto (TN)
- Alpone (Battle of the bridge of Arcole),
- other Rio: Antanello, Carlino, Wearied, Plima, Puni, Saldura, Roia, Rom, Ross, Senale, Fosse, Silandro, Slingia, Solda, Trafoi, Such, Valsura.
- other torrents: Went, Alpone, Chiampo, Tramigna, Aviana, Avisio, Fersina, Isarco, Passino, Tasso.
Stoppings and water reserves
- Precipitations annual averages: Silandro (High basin) 472 mm, Thirty (average basin) 959 mm and Vérone (Low basin) 663 Misters
- Stoppings: the basin of Adige currently includes/understands 31 artificial basins of a variable capacity, a maximum value of the 183 118 million and m ³ million for S. Giustina di m ³ for Resia, with values minis of 100.000 m ³ for VaI of EGA and 90.000 m ³ for Sarentino; for a total of 571 million m ³.
- hydroelectric Establishments: the 34 large hydroelectric stations produce annually more than 4000 GWh.
PopulationIn 2001, the population resident in the 369 common ones counts approximately 1.637.497 inhabitants, thus divided:
History of the riverThe river was the protagonist of some risings devastators, to start with the aforementioned rotta della Cucca (rupture of Cucca) which is, in the Vénète tradition, hydrographic upheaval which at the VI century openly modified the river panorama of low Venezia. The name comes from the locality of Cucca , beside Veronella, where Adige would have left its bed. Following this rupture of the dams, the river gave up its old course (which passed by Este and Montagnana) to take the current course more in the south. Paul Deacon (Paolo Diacomo), in his chronicle, dates the event into 589, but this dating is discussed by the historians. Today it is retained that in the oral tradition the rotta indicates the disorders which, to the wire of the centuries, followed the fall of the Roman Empire and to the weak handling of the river.
Other phenomena of this type were noted in the past: between most recent and serious, let us recall the floods of 1882, 1966 and of 1981.
- In September 1882 the river broke the dams in 9 points between Bolzano and San Michele ale Adige, flooding the northern part of the city of Thirty.
- In November 1966 , the town of Thirty knew the greatest rising ever recorded in the history: A good part of the city and approximately 5000 ha of countryside were submerged by nearly two meters of water.
- In August 1981 , the dams yielded close to Salorno which was submerged with the countryside around.
Just to save the town of Vérone of possible floods, in the XX century half, the locality of Mori, a tunnel was built to pour the water excess of Adige in the Lake Garda towards Torbole (length: 9873 m, maximum flow: 500 m ³ /s). But, because of the notable difference in temperature and water quality, the recourse to this system extremely rare and is used in the event of peremptory necessity. The tunnel was used only twice, on the occasions of believed of 1966 and 2000.
History of the men
- the September 8th, 1796 , was held the Bataille of Bassano in approximately of Mantoue, between the troops of Napoleon Bonaparte and the Austrian army.
- November 15th and 17th 1796 , Battle of the bridge of Arcole, on bank of Alpone
- January 14th and 15th 1797 , Battle of Rivoli around Rivoli Veronese
It is with this river that referred the first stanza of the song whose only third stanza is the official German national anthem, when he says that Germany must extend
Von der Maas (a) year die Memel
Von der Etsch (a) year den Belt
of the Meuse until Memel, Adige until Belt.
TourismThe areas crossed by Adige, from the tourist point of view, among most beautiful and are varied from Italy. The sites in mountain, with its fauna and its flora, are to be visited (High Adige, Bolzano, Merano, Lavis, Mezzocorona, Thirty); as well as sites in charge of history like Vérone, Venice, Milan. Without forgetting the lakes of Guard and Iseo.
- the possibility of lodging in the localities of mountain is approximately 403.000, of which for the province of Bolzano: 190.000 (131.500 in hotel trade) and for the province of Thirty: 213.000 (46.500 in hotel trade).
- List of rivers in the world
- Believed of 1882
- Believed of 1966
- Authority of the basin of the river Adige
|Random links:||Alexei Verbov | Count of the Unicode/U31C0 characters | Posidonia oceanica | Great Falls Explorers | Zvezd | Perodicticinae|