See also: Triumphal arch (homonymy)
The triumphal arch of the Star called everywhere in the world triumphal arch , is located at Paris, on the place of the Star, at the western end of the Avenue of the Fields-Élysées, with 2,2 kilometers of the Place of the Harmony.
The place of Star forms enormous a Rond-point of twelve avenues bored at the 19th century under the impulse of the baron Haussmann, then prefect of the department of the Seine. These avenues “radiate” out of star around the place, in particular the Avenue of the Large-Army, the Avenue of Wagram and, of course, the Avenue of the Fields-Élysées.
This major Parisian monument 50 meters is high and 45 meters is broad.
Napoleon i ordered the construction of the arc in 1806: its preliminary draft was to make of them the starting point of a triumphal avenue in particular crossing the Louvre and the Place of the Bastille.
The architect Chalgrin in load of the project was inspired by Antiquity. He designed this monument measuring 50 meters height and 45 meters of width. The foundations required two years of building site. At the time of the first defeats (Countryside of Russia in 1812), construction was stopped, then abandoned under the Restauration then finally taken again and completed between 1832 and 1836, under Louis-Philippe Ier. The Goust architects then Huyot took the changing under the direction of Héricart de Thury.
The Triumphal arch of Star is inaugurated the July 29th 1836 for the sixth birthday of the Glorious Three. At the beginning a great military review in the presence of Louis-Philippe had been envisaged. But, whereas this one has just been aimed by new a attack the June 25th, the President of the Council, Adolphe Thiers, convinces the king to abstain from. The military review is countermanded and replaced by a large banquet offered by the king to 300 guests chosen, while the monument is inaugurated in catimini by Thiers, at seven o'clock in the morning.
It forms part maintaining of the national monuments with strong historical connotation. With its feet the is fall from the Unknown soldier of the First World War. The eternal Flame which it shelters, the first since the extinction of the flame of the Vestales in 391, commemorates its memory and never dies out: it is revived each evening with 18:30 by associations of war veterans or war victims. Since 1923, year of the lighting of the flame which takes care on the tomb of the Unknown soldier, this gesture of brightening up symbolic system was accomplished each evening, even the June 14th 1940, day when the German army entered Paris and ravelled on the place of Star: this day there, brightening up took place in front of the German officers who authorized the ceremony. Association the Flame under the Triumphal arch , which gathers 41 members resulting from the world combatant and war victims, organizes the ceremonies of brightening up as well as the wreath layings by the French and foreign personalities: there are each day one or more members of the Comité of the Flame under the Triumphal arch to accommodate associations which come in turn to revive the Flame of the Memory.
Details of the sculptures
the four more important carved groups are:
|Random links:||Marseilles-lès-Aubigny | Trilogy | Palomino (dress) | List contemporary French military personalities | Tiyi (wife of Ramsès III) | Achilles|