Abbey of Montheron
The Abbey of Montheron is at the bottom of the valley dug by the Talent, between this last and a rock. According to the tradition bénédictine and especially Cistercienne, the convent is organized around a square court surrounded by covered galleries, the cloister. The church of the old abbey in north, was directed east-south-east. Its length was of 37 m, the width of the nave of 14 m and that of the transept of 28 Mr.
The rock of the small valley of Montheron being in the north of the church, preventing, like would like it the tradition, the presence of the cemetery of the monks at this place. It is thus established in the east. A certain number of burials are also placed in the galleries of the cloister.
HistoryThe presence of a monastery on this site goes back to the 12th century. It is one of the rare witnesses of architecture Cistercienne in the Canton of Vaud. The current temple, frame at the 18th century, was restored in 1930. The interior of the building was refreshed in the years 1960. The current church of Montheron is built on the remainders of a convent of the 12th century destroyed in 1536 after the Réforme. The layout of the disappeared Romance church always visible, is symbolized by paving stones in front of the current building.
12th centuryThe abbey of Montheron is an abbey Cistercienne: In 1115, Cîteaux founds the Abbaye of Morimond and Morimond founds that of Bellevaux, close to Besancon. Bellevaux, in its turn, founds six monasteries girls of which Montheron, before 1129. In fact, excavations carried out in 1911 then in 1975 show that the abbey initially was installed with Co.-Catherine, to 5 km from there, close to the brook of Pierre Ozaire, then moved in its current site starting from 1142.
The monastic community was very few (14 monks in 1340); one knows practically nothing them, no significant event not having marked their history.
The convent was owner of the vineyard of Dézaley (commune of Puidoux) which had been given to them by the bishop Girard de Faucigny, the founder of the abbey, died in 1129.
13th century at the 15th century
Between the 13th century and first half of the 15th century, the church is supplemented by two vaults.
At the end of the 15th century, a fire almost completely destroys the monastery and the church. The rebuilding is done by preserving the same plan and by recovering the sections of wall still upright. The church, whose walls were undoubtedly preserved, is then covered with ribbed vaults.
The last abbot silent partner of Montheron is the cardinal Jean Salviati.
16th century at the 17th centuryAt the time of the Reform in 1536, the church becomes reformed temple and part of the monks adopt the new faith. One of them, Antoine Cilliard, becomes first Pasteur of the new parish.
The church being then in very bad condition, it is given up and demolished in 1590. The worship is then transferred in the chapter house. In 1668, considered to be too wet, this room is in its turn given up, partially filled, and the place of worship installed on the floor, in what remained dormitory of the monks.
20th century and 21e centurySince, a new church is built in 1930, restored in 2005 and profiting the same year from a new organ.
|Random links:||Michel Simon | Adnan Terzić | Proechimys | Drive out-crossed mortal | Line has subway of Buenos Aires | Liste_de_sénateurs_territoriaux_canadiens|