MissionThe air-to-ground Missile AGM-65 Maverick was conceived for the missions of brought closer support, of prohibition of zone and suppression of enemy defenses. It offers to its launcher a capacity of remote shooting of safety with high degree of accuracy against tactical targets varied such as armoured tanks, anti-aircraft defenses, ships, transport facilities or storage. During the War of the gulf, in 1991, are effectiveness was of 85% of blows to the goal for a precision of impact of 91cm.
DevelopmentIn 1965, the US Air Force, very disappointed performances of the missile AGM-12 Bullpup, approves the launching of the AGM-65, whose manufacture is entrusted to Honeywell in 1968. The first not-guided shootings take place the following year. In 1975, the production of a first batch of 17000 AGM-65A is completed.
ConstructionThe missile has 4 delta wings has small ratio and four surfaces of control located immediately behind the wings. Construction is of modular type, making it possible to assemble different type of loads and guidance. The first part contains the guidance system which can be electro-optical (TV), Infrarouge (IR) or Laser. The center section contains the load which can be made up of a hollow-charge of 57kg or of a penetrating load high explosive capacity of 135kg has. The third and last section contain the propulsion.
- AGM-65A : 1972. Initial version with guidance TV based on contrast. Require optimum conditions for launching which if they are not joined together, make lose the target with the missile. Focal distance of the guidance system: 200mm
- AGM-65B : 1975. Version improved of the AGM-65A, with better guidance TV, updated electronics and focal distance of 400mm allowing to acquire the target moreover further.
- AGM-65C: Version with laser Guidance. Can use a large variety of pod of guidance, including ATLIS French.
- AGM-65D: Version with Infra-red guidance . On the assumption of a war in Europe, the atmospheric conditions often did not make it possible to draw part of guidance TV, the Infrarouge, less sensitive to the atmospheric effects was thus selected as solution. This capacity makes it also suited to the shooting of night.
- AGM-65E: Version carrying a penetrating head of 135kg for the use by the body of the Marines.
- AGM-65F: Version optimized for the US Navy for a naval use. Sensor IR + load of 135kg.
- AGM-65G: Version in service in the US Air Force, the guidance system can lock targets of bigger size. Sensor IR + load of 135kg.
- AGM-65H: 2003. Version improved of the guidance system TV.
- AGM-65I: -
- AGM-65J: Improved anti-ship version.
- AGM-65K: 2003. Version improved of the guidance system TV.
- AGM-65L: Undeveloped version improving the range of the weapon as well as the possibility of acquiring a target or of changing target lasting the vol.
- AGM-65M: Undeveloped version improving the range of the weapon as well as the possibility of acquiring a target or of changing target lasting the vol.
VectorsA-4 Skyhawk, A-6 Intruder, A-7 Corsair II, AV-8B Harrier II, A-10 Thunderbolt II, F-4 Phantom, F-4G Wild Weasel, F-5 Freedom Fighter, F-15E Strike Eagle, F-16 Fighting Falcon, F/A-18 Hornet, YF-20 Tigershark, F-111 Aardvark, F-117 Nighthawk, P-3C Orion, SH-2G Seasprite, AH-1W Cobra, KAI A-50, Panavia Tornado, Harrier GR.Mk3, AERITALIA AMX, Ching-Kuo IDF, SOKO J-22 Orao , AERITALIA M-346, CASA C-101 Aviojet.
Weapons of the same type
- South Africa, Mupsow
- France, AS-30L
- Japan, ASM-1 Standard 80
- Russia, AS-14 Kedge/Molniya
- Serbia, Grom
With the combatThe AGM-65A entered in service at the end of the Guerre of Vietnam. A total of 18 missiles were drawn there for 13 blows with the goal. It is during the war of the Gulf that Maverick knew its hour of glory since 5296 missiles were drawn successfully in 85% from the cases for the versions TV and IR and 66% for the versions Laser. The weapon was also used with the Panama in 1989, with the Kosovo in 1999, Afghanistan in 2001 then in Iraq in 2003. Israel for its part used a great number of Maverick during the Guerre of Kippour in 1973, with the Lebanon in 1983 then again with the Lebanon in 2006 with scores close to 100%.
The Iran used a great number of Maverick during the Guerre Iran-Iraq against terrestrial targets like maritime, mobile or not. The Yugoslavia has, of dimensioned sound, used the near total of its stock during the civil war of the years 1990, but would still have of it a small number in Serbia.
|Random links:||Christie' S | Argelouse | Oteri darling | Scottish education system | Andre Mentzelopoulos | Feingold|