This page relates to the year 997 Calendrier Julien.
The Middle East
- Mokjong becomes king of Koryŏ
: Beginning of the reign of Etienne Ier, duke of Hungary (fine in 1000). Etienne of Hungary married in 995/996 the girl of the duke Henri of Bavaria, Gisele. He makes adopt Christianity by the Hungarians.
- Saint-Jacques-with-Compostelle is destroyed by the Moslems under the control of Al-Mansur. The Christian prisoners carry on their shoulders the bell of Saint-Jacques-of-Compostelle until Cordoue.
- country Revolt in Normandy.
- the pope Gregoire V runs up against the Roman faction of Crescentius which causes the antipape Jean XVI (997 - 998).
- the Danes systematically devastate the Wessex of 997 with 999.
- the port of Trondheim is founded in Norway.
Births in 997
Death in 997
- : Géza of Hungary
- April 23rd: Saint Adalbert of Prague (Slavnik) assassinated by a pagan priest during the first attempts at conversion of the pagan old man-Prussians. He will be canonized two years later.
- August: Subuktigîn.
Map-bms: 997 Simple: 997
|Random links:||PolÃtica de Nigeria | Réthoville | Vécés were closed interior | Zinha | China Construction Bank | Christopher Samba | Histoire_de_la_physique|