This page relates to the year 980 Calendrier Julien.
- June 11th:
- Birth of the Principality of Liege
- Almanzor revival the holy war in Spain. In Al-Andalus, he maltreats and persecutes the Mozarabes. Jewish and Christians take refuge towards north.
- Taken again raids and Danish plunderings in England.
- Raid on Chester by the Viking S of Ireland or the island of Man. Raids on Southampton and operations in the basin of the the Thames.
- the “Danish” king of Dublin, Óláfr Kvaran, is beaten by the king gaël Moelsechlainn II with the battle of Tara. Óláfr will finish its monk days with Iona in 981. His/her son Sigtryggr Silkiskegg (with the silk Beard) succeeds to him but does not find any ally to be opposed to the efforts of reconquest of Moelsechlainn in North then Brian Borce in the South.
- Advent of the Tsar Samuel Ier of Bulgaria (fine in 1014).
- Samuel proclaims the archbishop's palace of Ochrida patriarchate. The Bulgarian church leaves control constantinopolitain.
- the Poméranie passes to the Poland (fine in 1033).
- Construction of the circular camp of Trelleborg in Sweden according to the Dendrochronology (winter 980 - 981). Four Danish strengthened camps have excavated summers: Aggersborg and Fyrkat in the septentrional Jütland, Nonnebakken (Fyn) and Trelleborg (Sjælland). They have the same structures: two perpendicular diameters lead to the four doors of the camps; a ground lifting constitutes the rampart, sometimes doubled of a ditch and one second circumvallation; wood naviformes houses are laid out geometrically. None of these camps was a long time of use. Fyrkat and Trelleborg could be devastated by fires and arrows are driven in the rampart of Fyrkat. A necropolis was found close to Trelleborg.
Art & culture
- Foundation of the abbey of Saint-Saver of Lodève.
- rectangular Church of Gniezno in Poland (890 - 900, rebuilt in 1018 with a polychrome ceramics pavement).
- the Persan poet Firdûsî takes again the project of Daqiqi and begins the drafting of the national epopee ( the Book of the Kings , finished in 1010).
Births in 980
- Constantin IX Monomaque, Byzantine Emperor († 1055)
Death in 980
Be-X-old: 980 Map-bms: 980
|Random links:||Veratrum | Phil@poste | Pieter Lastman | John W. Dunn | The Dirty Liar | L'industrie_d'holocauste|