5th Panzerdivision S Wiking
While waiting for the end of recycling, it can be useful to consult, to replace this unit in its context:
See also: Waffen-SS
The 5th Panzerdivision S Wiking is a division German S consisted of foreign volunteers, mainly Scandinavian but also of other European countries. During the Second world war, division evolved/moved of a motorized formation of Infanterie to a Panzer division. It was formed in December 1940 under the name of Germania . Into January 1941, its name changes and becomes Wiking , division decorated with 55 Croix of iron.
Formed in November 1940, division leaves to the east in June 1941, it passes by Tarnopol, Zitomir, Tcherkassy in November 1941. Defensive actions take place on banks of the Gift in November 1942. At the same time, division is famous S Panzer Grenadier Division . In January 1943, division crosses then the the Caucasus, Rostov and the river Koubane. Engagements take place of March to July 1943 in Ukraine, particularly with Kharkov.
During its deployment in Ukraine, division massacres 600 Galician Jews.
It becomes Panzer Division in October 1943. The armor-plated units of division are finally encircled and destroyed in the pocket of Tcherkassy. But division is reformed and leaves then to the combat in Poland on the face the the Vistula, of July to December 1944.
Following the success of divisions Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler, Das Reich and division Totenkopf during the programs of Poland and Is, it was decided to increase the number of divisions Waffen-SS. Being given the increasing flow of foreign volunteers, particularly coming from the Denmark, of the Netherlands and the Norway, the formation of a specific unit of volunteers was decided. The division, which was at the origin to be called the 5th division Nordique , was consisted of the many Scandinavian volunteers, mixed with veterans S of Germanic origin. The " Wiking" was one of the divisions most decorated with the Third Reich.
List successive commanders
S Panzergrenadier Division Wiking , February 1943
- SS-Panzergrenadier-Regiment Germania
- SS-Panzergrenadier-Regiment Nordland (Withdrawn at the end of 1943)
- SS-Panzergrenadier-Regiment Westland
- Finnisches Freiwilligen-Battalion der Waffen-SS (withdrawn in 1943)
- SS-Panzer-Abteilung " Wiking"
- Artillery-Regiment 5
5.SS-PanzerDivision Wiking , April 1944
- SS-Panzergrenadier Regiment 9 Germania
- SS-Panzergrenadier Regiment 10 Westland
- SS-Panzer Regiment 5
- SS-Panzer Artillerie Regiment 5
- Estnisches SS-Freiwilligen-Panzer-Pomegranate-Battalion '' Narwa '' (withdrawn in 1944)
- SS-Sturmbrigade '' Wallonien '' (withdrawn in 1944)
- SS-Panzerjager-Abteilung 5
- SS-Sturmgeschutz-Abteilung 5
- SS-Sturmgeschutz-Battery 5
- SS-Flak-Abteilung 5
- SS-Werfer-Abteilung 5
- SS-Panzer-Nachrichten-Abteilung 5
- SS-Panzer-Aufklarungs-Abteilung 5
- SS-Panzer-Pioneer-Battalion 5
- SS-Dined 5
- SS-Instandsetzungs-Abteilung 5
- SS-Wirtschafts-Battalion 5
- SS-Sanitats-Abteilung 5
- SS-Feldlazarett 5
- SS-Kriegsberichter-Zug 5
- SS-Feldgendarmerie-Trupp 5
- SS-Feldersatz-Battalion 5
Theaters of operationsTakes Rostov and Kiev, Kharkov, Koursk (1943), Poland and Hungary
|Random links:||Jean Glavany | Relaciones exteriores de la Guayana Francesa | Presidents de Lituanie | Frossasco | National Assembly (Benign) | Jean Louis Ier de Nassau | Jamesia|