This page relates to the year 2001 of the Gregorian Calendrier.
2001 is the first Année and 21e century. The Attentats of September 11th constitute the big event of the year and even ten last years. These attacks are sometimes regarded as the starting point of the Guerre against terrorism and put in parallel with the fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989 which marked the end of the Cold war.
- January 15th: Launching of the first edition of Wikipédia on Internet.
- January 25th: Opening of the first Worldwide social forum with Porto Alegre with the Brazil.
- April 16th: Signature by 800 delegated Green left the Charter of the world Greens to Canberra in Australia.
- July: The the United States refuse that a treaty sets up a checking on the production of bacteriological weapons, prohibited since 1972.
- 20 - July 22nd : The top of the G8 to Genoa attracts 300 000 demonstrators. The July 21st, a police officer kills one of them, Carlo Giuliani. The demonstrations which surround this top make some 300 wounded.
- September 11th : Attack-suicides of the World Trade Center and the Pentagon perpetrated with diverted planes by members of Al-Qaida. The two twin towers of the World Trade Center crumble, making close to 3 000 died of 80 nationalities. It is the heaviest attack ever perpetrated on the American ground.
- September 13rd : The White House announces that Usama Bin Laden is the silent partner of the Attentats of September 11th.
- September 15th : The US president George W. Bush uses for the first time the formula “Guerre against terrorism”.
- September 19th : In Afghanistan, the Ouléma S (doctors of the faith), convened by mollah Mohammed Omar, spiritual leader of the Talibans, exhort Oussama ben Laden to voluntarily leave the country, while threatening to call with the holy war in the event of American military intervention.
- September 20th : In the world combat against the Terrorism, the president George W. Bush invites the American Armée to be held ready as well as the American people to remain “ calm and déterminé ” and exhorts the nations of the whole world to join the antiterrorist coalition, which he wants to set up to answer the attacks of the September 11th.
- October 7th : The the United States begin the bombardments on the Afghanistan.
- November 2nd: Universal declaration of UNESCO on cultural diversity.
- November 13rd: Kabul, deserted by the Talibans, falls between the hands from the Alliance from North supported by the United States.
- December 7th : Kandahar, last bastion of the Talibans, falls, while their leader, the Mollah Omar, escapes.
- December 17th : The ultimate pocket of resistance of the combatants close to Al-Qaida in Afghanistan, in the mountains of Tora Bora, is reduced.
- January 16th : Assassination, with Kinshasa, of Laurent-Desired Kabila, president of the Democratic republic of Congo.
- April 18th : In Kabylie (Algeria), the assassination of a young person by the gendarmerie at Beni Douala causes several months of riots: the black Spring. Repression will on the whole make 123 dead and of the thousands of casualties.
- June 17th: the death of Sheik El Miloud Al Mahaji El-Falah association was created under the aegis of Sheik El Miloud Al Mahaji, this Work exciting and long-term was started by the construction of first free Medersa (El-Falah) of Medina I dida (Tahtaha) .mort the June 24th 2001, it was buries with the cemetery of Ain Beida has Oran. Sheik El Miloud Al Mahaji, the first student of the Algerian west of the Sheik Ben Badis with Constantine.
- August 10th : In Angola, a ambush carried out by the rebels of UNITA against a train transporting approximately 500 refugees makes 252 dead, of which children and elderly.
- November 10th: Flood S and flow mud kill more than 900 people in Algérie.
- the year 2001 in Canada
- January 11th : Lucien Bouchard resigns as chief of the Québécois Party and Prime Minister for the Quebec, but assumes the interim with the functions of Prime Minister.
- January 20th: George W. Bush succeeds Bill Clinton like chair the United States of America, after having gained accuracy the American presidential election in 2000.
- March 8th : Bernard Landry succeeds Lucien Bouchard with the head of the government of the Quebec, following the resignation of this last.
- 19 - April 22nd: Summit of Americas in the town of Quebec.
- June 11th : Timothy McVeigh, culprit of the Attack of Oklahoma City in 1995, is carried out in a prison of the Indiana.
- July 28th : With the Peru, beginning of the presidential mandate of Alejandro Toledo.
- October 4th : The American authorities officialize the first case of attack by letter contaminated with the carbuncle.
- October 5th : The governor of the Pennsylvania, Tom Ridge, becomes the first secretary with the Internal security of the United States.
- October 10th : FBI publishes its list of the 22 most required Terroriste S.
- October 26th : George W. Bush sign the Patriot Act.
- November 13rd : George W. Bush authorizes the military tribunals to consider the foreign nationals suspected of bonds with terrorism.
- December 11th : Inculpation, with the the United States, of the French Zacarias Moussaoui, for its implication in the Attacks of September 11th which reduced the wtc to the state dust.
- December 12th: Adoption by the Heads of State or government of the countries of the Association of the States of Caribbean (AEC), joined together on the island of Margarita, with the Venezuela of the Declaration of Margarita , “recognizing the Caribbean Sea like common inheritance of the area, and a priceless credit”.
- December 13rd: George W. Bush announces that the the United States withdraw Traité ABM (anti-missile ballistics) signed with the Soviet in 1972.
- December 20th : In Argentinian, the repression of demonstrations, with Buenos Aires, against the governmental management of the economic crisis, causes the death of 26 participants.
- December 21st : The Argentinian president Fernando of Rúa resigns.
- December 22nd : On board a flight Paris - Miami, a passenger, Richard Reid, tries without success to explode its shoes. It is stopped at the time of the arrival to the the United States.
- January 1st: Calcutta, the big city of the Indian Bengal is officially famous Kolkata.
- January 20th: Gloria Macapagal Arroyo is named president of the Filipino after four days of riots which led to the withdrawal of its predecessor Joseph Estrada.
- January 26th : A violent one Seism striking the area of the Gujarat in India, killing more 20 000 people.
- April 26th: Jun' ichirō Koizumi of PLD becomes Prime Minister for the Japan.
- June 1st: The prince Dipendra assassinates his father, the king of the Nepal Birendra, and several members of his family before committing suicide. The brother of the king, Gyanendra, reaches the throne later three days.
- August 8th: Lyonpo Khandu Wangchuk becomes Prime Minister for the Bhutan.
- December 13rd : Islamist terrorists cachemiris attack the Indian Parlement with New Delhi. Fourteen people are killed, and the tension with the Pakistan is revived.
- December 22nd: Hamid Karzai takes the head of the provisional government in Afghanistan.
- January 31st : The Scottish Tribunal in the Netherlands condemns the Libyan Abdel Basset Ali Al-Megrahi for his participation in the Attentat of Lockerbie in 1988.
- June 15th : Opening of the Summit of the European Union to Gothenburg, in Sweden: the police force opens fire on militants antimondialisation, of which three are wounded by bullets.
- December 15th: Declaration of Laeken: at the European top, convocation of the Convention on the future of Europe.
- February 12th: Publication of the book of Edwin Black, IBM and the holocaust , on the collaboration of the company with the Nazi Germany.
- August 28th: Spectacular jacking maneuver (eight hours) of the Turn of the Millenium, turn of observation built since March on the territory of the commune of Gedinne, on the plate of the Cross-Scaille, in the the Belgian Ardennes.
- May 13rd : Regional elections with the Spanish Basque Country, in a context of tension with ETA. The moderated nationalists of it are the principal winners.
- the year 2001 in France
- January 11th : Burden with the male nurses anesthetists, involving a movement followed by all the specialized male nurses and several demonstrations (in particular the January 30th and February 6th), then extension of the movement to all the public male nurses, frameworks male nurses and students.
- 11 & March 18th : Municipal elections. The line conquers many cities (Aix-en-Provence, Beauvais, Blois, Chartres, Chateauroux, Dieppe, Montauban, Montlucon, Nimes, Orleans, Quimper, Rouen, Saint-Brieuc, Strasbourg, Tarbes, etc) but loses Paris, Lyon and Dijon.
- April 26th: First of the emission of tele reality, Loft Story on M6.
- May 10th : Vote “ law Taubira ” recognizing the Slavery like Crime against humanity.
- May 15th : Publication of the law on the New Economic Regulations (NRE) with the Official journal (Responsibility sociétale for the companies).
- June 25th : End of the lawsuit of the Order of the solar Temple, the court pronounces the Relaxe Michel Tabachnik
- June 27th : End of the conscription. The French Army is from now on entirely professional.
- September 6th: With Castellane (Alp-of-High-Provence), the prefecture makes dynamite the 33 height meters statue to the effigy of Gilbert Bourdin, which had directed the movement of the Mandarom until its death in 1998.
- September 21st : The town of Toulouse is victim of the explosion of the factory AZF which makes 30 dead and approximately 2 500 wounded, as well as considerable property damages.
- October 6th : First match of Football between the France and the Algeria. the Marseillaise is whistled. The match is stopped with fifteen minutes of the end following the invasion of the ground by part of the public.
- December : Burden with the liberal Infirmière S for the revalorization of the payment of the acts and displacements, which are always with the tariff of 1992.
- January 1st: Greece integrates the Euro area.
- January 10th: The Parliament names the former Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for the Economy Leszek Balcerowicz - the principal architect of the deep change of Poland during the years 1990 - at the position of president of the national Banque of Poland.
- February 20th : Beginning of the crisis of the Foot-and-mouth disease concerning the sheep.
- June 7th : The Workers party of the Prime Minister Tony Blair gains, for the second consecutive time, the legislative elections.
- the year 2001 in Switzerland
- January 23rd : The prosecutor of the International penal court for ex-Yugoslavia, Carla Del Ponte, request with the authorities of Belgrade to give to the court the Yugoslav former president Slobodan Milosevic.
- March 31st : The former president of the Serbia and the Yugoslavia Slobodan Milosevic goes to the special forces of his country to Belgrade.
- June 28th : Transfer of Slobodan Milosevic to $the Hague, to be judged by the International penal court for ex-Yugoslavia.
- : Agreement of Ohrid concluded between the government from Macedonia and the Albanian guerilla, carrying in particular on the statute of the language Albanian E and the reform of the police force.
- August 2nd : The general of Serb of Bosnia Radislav Krstić, recognized guilty of Genocide by TPI of $the Hague, is condemned to 46 years of prison for his role in the massacre of thousands of Moslems with Srebrenica, in Bosnia-Herzégovine in July 1995. The Inculpation of Génocide will be withdrawn at the time of the passage in call of the business but the court will preserve the inculpation of genocide complicity.
The Middle East
- February 6th : Ariel Sharon becomes Prime Minister of Israel after the electoral success of the Likoud.
- March 1st : Afghanistan, beginning of the dynamiting of the statues of the Buddhas of Bâmiyân, which is completed at the end of the month.
- March 6th : Publication in the Egyptian daily newspaper El Midan of an interview granted by the writer Egyptian woman Nawal El-Saadaoui, following the prohibition of several of its works to the international exhibition of the book of the Cairo, in which she says that the pilgrimage with Mecque (where 35 pilgrims died in scuffles the day before) and to embrace the black Pierre concerned paganism.
- March 27th : The Large Mufti of Egypt, Nasr Farid Wassel, requires that the writer Nawal el Saadawi disavows the reported remarks by the newspaper El Midan about the pilgrimage with Mecque, which it will do on its return in Egypt towards mid-May.
- June 1st: A Attack-suicide in a discotheque with Tel Aviv, asserted by the Hamas, costs the life 21 young Israelis.
- September 9th : The commander Ahmed Shah Massoud is assassinated by two kamikazes in Afghanistan. He had, as a guest with the the European Parliament, informed dangers which the Occident because of the integrism of the area would run.
- October 17th: Assassination of the Israeli general Rehavam Zeevi, Minister for tourism in the government of Ariel Sharon, by PFLP, during the the Second Intifada.
Chronologies sets of themes
- April 1st: With Saint-Sebastien (Spain, province of Guipúzcoa), alternate of Javier Castaño, Spanish Matador.
- April 15th: With Madrid, (Spain), plaza of Mow Were windy, alternate of Rafael Rodríguez Escribano known as “Rafael de Julia”, Spanish Matador.
- April 21st: With Seville (Spain), alternate of Shine Vilches, Spanish Matador.
- June 23rd: With Soria (Spain), alternate of Iván Vicente, Spanish Matador.
- September 11th: With Albacete (Spain), alternate of Sergio Martínez, Spanish Matador.
- June 22nd : The Game Boy Advance leaves to Europe.
- December 2nd : The giant of energy Enron placed himself under the protection of chapter 11 of the law on the bankruptcies of the the United States.
- October 2nd : The airline company Swissair is in bankruptcy.
- October 23rd : Apple lance the IPod.
- October 25th : Microsoft lance Windows XP.
- November 7th : The Belgian airline company SABENA is in bankruptcy.
- November 10th : The Popular republic of China is allowed with the World Trade organization after 15 years of negotiation.
- March 23rd : The orbit station Mir disintegrates in the atmosphere above the Pacifique South, not far from the archipelago of the Fiji.
- April : Discovered role the Hepcidine like the principal hormone of the regulation of the homeostasis of iron in the organization by a research team of the Institute Cochin in collaboration with researchers of Unité Inserm 409 (Hospital Bichat) succitant a new hope like preventive medication of the Hémochromatose.
- April 28th : The American millionaire Dennis Tito becomes the first tourist of space, on board the Soyuz TM-32. He goes down again on ground the May 6th.
- June 30th : Launching of the American space probe WMAP intended for the study of the Anisotropy of the cosmological thermal Radiation.
- : Israeli scientists announce to have succeeded in for the first time manufacturing cardiac cells starting from a human Embryon.
- October 15th : The space probe Galileo launched by NASA approaches with 180 kilometers the satellite Jupiter Io.
See also: 2001 in aeronautics
- November 12th : The flight 587 of American Airlines bound for the Dominican Republic is crushed with New York. 265 people are killed.
See also: 2001 in the railroads
See also: 2001 in sport
See also: 2001 in football
- Nobel Prize of physics : Eric A. Cornell, Wolfgang Ketterle and Carl E. Wieman.
- Nobel Prize of chemistry : William S. Knowles, Ryoji Noyori and K. Barry Sharpless.
- Nobel Prize of physiology or medicine : Leland H. Hartwell, R. Timothy Hunt and Sir Paul Mr. Nurse.
- Nobel Prize of literature : Vidiadhar Surajprasad Naipaul .
- Nobel Prize of peace : The the United Nations and their general secretary Kofi Annan.
Births in 2001
- October 25th : The Elisabeth princess in Belgium. Its godfather is the prince Amédéo of Belgium, wire of the Astrid princess. Its godmother is the countess Helene d' Udekem d' Acoz, sister of the Mathilde princess.
Death in 2001
- January 12th : Shine Floriano Bonfa, guitarist and type-setter Brésil IEN.
- January 14th: Julio Robles, Spanish Matador (° December 4th 1951).
- January 16th : Laurent-Desired Kabila, Congolese statesman.
- January 19th : Gustave Thibon, philosopher French.
- January 25th : Guy Tréjan, French actor
- January 30th : Jean-Pierre Aumont, French actor.
- February 2nd : Marie-Jose of Belgium, queen of Italy (° August 4th 1906).
- February 3rd : Gilbert Trigano, contractor of French tourism.
- February 4th : Iannis Xenakis, French type-setter.
- February 7th : Flagstone Evans, actress.
- February 12th : Kristina Söderbaum, actress and photographer.
- February 14th :
- Jean Giraudy, inventor of road publicity.
- Guy Grosso, French actor
- February 16th : William Howell Masters, American sexologist .
- February 18th : Charles Trenet, French singer.
- February 19th : Balthus, French painter.
- February 23rd : Robert Enrico, French scenario writer.
- March 2nd : François Abadie, French former minister.
- March 4th : Jean Bazaine, French painter.
- March 12th : Robert Ludlum, American writer (° May 25th 1927).
- March 15th : Ass Sothern, actress.
- March 16th: Bob Wollek, French racing driver (° November 4th, 1943)
- March 22nd : William Hanna, producer of many cartoons (° March 24th 1911).
- March 29th : John Lewis, pianist of American jazz.
- April 9th: Jerome Lindon, French editor.
- April 10th : Jean-Gabriel Albicocco, French realizer.
- April 19th :
- April 20th : Irene Joachim, soprano Frenchwoman.
- April 23rd : David Walker, American astronaut (° May 20th, 1944)
- April 25th :
- May 5th : Boozoo Chavis, Musician American Zydeco .
- May 9th : Marie Cardinal, French writer.
- May 11th : Douglas Adams, British writer .
- May 12th : Alexeï Tupolev, aeronautical engineer Russian.
- May 13rd : R.K. Narayan, Indian writer (° October 10th 1907)
- May 14th : Mauro Bolognini, Italian realizer.
- May 24th : Patricia Robertson, suction American astronaut (° March 12th 1963)
- May 28th : Francisco Varela, philosopher and enquiring Chile in.
- June 1st : Hank Ketcham, humorist, painter and American draftsman.
- June 3rd :
- June 7th : Carole Fredericks, Franco-American singer (° June 5th 1952).
- June 15th : Henri Alekan, French operator chief.
- June 18th : Rene Dumont, agricultural engineer, sociologist French and founder of the ecology policy.
- June 21st:
- June 24th : Igor Barrère, producer and realizer of French television.
- June 26th: Lalla Romano, 94 years, writer, journalist and painter Italy. (° November 11th 1906).
- June 27th : Maurice Estève, French painter.
- June 28th :
- Jack Lemmon, American actor.
- Joan Sims, 71 years, actress.
- June 30th : Chet Atkins, guitarist and American producer.
- July 16th : Morris, Belgian draftsman of Cartoon.
- July 25th : Phûlan Devî, “ex-queen of gangsters” then appointed Indian.
- July 31st :
- Francisco da Costa Gums, soldier and politician Portuguese, former president of the Portugal of 1974 with 1979.
- Poul Anderson, writer of Science fiction and American Fantasy
- August 6th : Jorge Amado, writer Brazil IEN.
- August 8th : Jean Dorst, French naturalist.
- August 8th : Jean-Louis Fleming, French historian.
- August 12th : Pierre Klossowski, writer and draftsman French.
- August 20th : Fred Hoyle, British cosmologist.
- August 25th : Philippe Léotard, French actor.
- August 25th : Raymond Abescat, French veteran of the First World War.
- August 25th : Aaliyah Dana Haughton, 22 years, singer and actress.
- September 2nd : Christiaan Barnard, South-African doctor .
- September 3rd : Pauline Kael, 82 years, film critic.
- September 9th : Ahmed Shah Massoud, Afghan politician .
- September 16th : François Bédarida, French historian.
- September 22nd : Isaac Stern, American violonist of origin judéo - Ukrainian.
- October 7th : Mongo Beti, writer Cameroun board (° June 30th 1932).
- October 14th: Willam Christensen, dancer, choreographer and American ballet master (° 1902)
- October 17th:
- Micheline Ostermeyer, sporting and French pianist.
- Rehavam Zeevi, general and Israeli politician (° June 20th 1926).
- October 22nd:
- October 24th : Guy Schoeller, French editor.
- October 28th : Grigori Chukhrai, realizer.
- October 31st : Régine Cavagnoud, sporting Frenchwoman.
- November 5th : Sleeve-board Thorez-Vermeersch, French political woman.
- November 13rd : Frederic Pottecher, French legal chronicler.
- November 16th : Tommy Flanagan, pianist and American jazzman (° March 16th, 1930).
- November 26th : Seiken Shukumine, founder of the Gensei-Ryu (° December 9th 1925)
- November 29th : George Harrison, musician and former member of the Beatles (° February 25th, 1943).
- February 1st : Jean-Pierre Chabrol, French writer.
- December 6th : Peter Blake, navigator New Zealand.
- December 10th : Ashok KUMAR, 90 years, actor.
- December 12th : Jean Richard, man of circus and actor French (° April 18th 1921).
- December 13rd : Chuck Schuldiner, founder of the Death group.
- December 14th : Claude Santelli, realizer of French television.
- December 15th : Rufus Thomas, American singer.
- December 18th : Gilbert Bécaud, French singer.
- December 20th : Léopold Sédar Senghor, statesman and poet Senegal board (° October 9th 1906).
- December 22nd : Jacques Mayol, apneist French (° 1927).
|Random links:||Tactical studies rules | Mqabba | Louis Farrakhan | Incognito (album Celine Dion) | Successive Hermaphrodism|