This page relates to the year 1999 Gregorian Calendrier.
- March 12th: admission of the Poland, the Hungary and the Czech Republic in NATO
- April 2nd: resumption of the bombardments of the the United States and the the United Kingdom on the Iraq
- June 18th: meeting with Cologne of the G7, which decides to reduce the debt of the poorest countries
- October 6th: opening to Vienna of a conference on disarmament, within the framework of the CTBT. On 44 indicated countries, 24 signed it and ratified, 21 signed but not ratified (whose United States, China and Russia) and 3 neither signed it nor ratified (India, Pakistan, Korea)
- October 11th: military coup d'etat to the Pakistan. The army reverses without bloodshed the civil government of Nawaz Sharif, it is replaced by the general Pervez Musharraf
- December 3rd: With Seattle, failure of the ministerial meeting of the Member States of OMC. Europe refuses the abandonment of the system of export subsidy of their products required by the States-uniens, because the end of such a system would give total supremacy to the multinational firms.
- December 20th: the Portugal reassigns Macao with the China, after more than 400 years of occupation, the territory will profit, during 50 years of a particular status of special Autonomous region (RAS).
- December 24th: The pope Jean-Paul II opens the holy Porte in the Basilique Saint-Pierre of Rome, and opens large the Jubilé of the year 2000.
- the team of Australia is for the second time world champion of Rugby.
- April 15th: Abdelaziz Bouteflika gains the presidential election Algérie (74%) at the end of a poll disputed by the other candidates who withdraw themselves by denouncing many irregularities
- May 29th: With the Nigeria, new President Olusegun Obasanjo takes his functions.
- June 2nd: Nelson Mandela not being presented, it is his/her friend Thabo Mbeki of the ANC which gains the presidential election in South Africa
- July 23rd: Death of Hassan II, king of the Morocco, after 38 years of reign.
- July 30th: Establishment of Mohammed VI, king of the Morocco.
- February 2nd: Hugo Chávez, president of the Venezuela.
- February 12th: the American Senate innocent Bill Clinton in the business Lewinsky.
- April 1st: Creation with the Canada of the territory of the Nunavut starting from the Territories of the North-West, immense territory (2 M km ²) and very little populated (25 000 inhabitants, for the majority Inuit S).
- April 20th: Massacre of the college of Columbine, with Littleton, Colorado.
- May 28th: With Cuba, Fidel Castro names Felipe Pérez Roque as Foreign Minister.
- 4 and July 5th: The Derecho at the canado-American border makes for more than 100 $US million of damage and 4 dead.
- October 3rd: the United States tests successfully EKV ( exoatmosphéric kill vehicle ) against an atom-free missile Minuteman . That shows the feasibility of a program NMD ( National missil defense ) which before is very directed against the emergent nuclear powers.
- October 13rd: the American Senate refuses (51 votes against 48) to ratify the treaty of prohibition of nuclear tests (CTBT), such a refusal to ratify had not been seen since 1920
- December 22nd: Torrential rains and mud avalanches make between 15.000 and 30.000 victims with the Venezuela and more than 300.000 without shelter.
- December 30th: The constitution of the Republic bolivarienne of the Venezuela is approved by Référendum.
- December 31st: restitution of the zone of the Panama Canal by the United States with the Panama.
- January 18th: meeting with Geneva of both Korea S, on the initiative of the the United States and the China.
- February 16th: Tachkent (Ouzbékistan) undergoes attacks Islamiste S: six explosions, of which a front the Parliament, which aimed at the president Islom Karimov.
- February 19th: Assassination with Nadjaf (Iraq), the holy big city Shiite, of the Large Ayatollah Mohammad Sadeq Al-Sadr and of two of its sons.
- March 6th: Your Mok, called “the Butcher”, last military chief of the Khmer Rouge, still in escape, is stopped by the Kampuchean army , close to the border inhabitant of Thailand.
- April 18th: victory of the left and the extreme right-hand side at the time of the legislative elections in Turkey
- April 29th: the Palestinian authority defers in June the proclamation of the State Palestinian, which was envisaged the May 4th
- May 17th: victory of the member of the Labor Party Ehoud Barak (56%) who replaces like Prime Minister Benyamin Netanyahou (Likoud)
- May 26th: begun again engagements with the Cashmere, between infiltrated and Indian soldiers Pakistani, the Pakistani defeat will have as a consequence a coup d'etat to the Pakistan in October
- June 7th: first democratic elections in Indonesia since those of 1955. The Partai Demokrasi Indonesia Perjuangan of Megawati Soekarnoputri arrives at the head, preceding the Golkar, governing party under Soeharto.
- July 9th: Lyonpo Sangay Ngedup becomes Prime Minister for the Bhutan.
- August 17th: a violent one Séisme magnitude 7,4 assigns the town of Kocaeli (Izmit) to the south-east of Istanbul making more than 17000 victims
- August 30th: a referendum supervised by the United Nations with the Eastern Timor results in a very broad victory of the freedom fighters (72%). Immediately, the militia indonésiennes break out against the civil populations
- September 21st: a Earthquake measuring 7,1 on the scale of Richter shook Taiwan
- October 18th: the Indonesia repeals the decree of 1978 annexing the Eastern province of the Timor.
- October 20th: Abdurrahman Wahid is elected president of the Republic by the MPR (assembled)
- October 29th: The State of the Orissa in India undergoes the Cyclone Super which makes 20.000 victims and kills 700.000 heads of cattle, damages or uproots 90.000.000 of trees, makes 20.000.000 homeless people, 5.000.000 of farmers lose their work and 1,2 million hectares of culture are devastated.
- December 20th: Retrocession of Macao to the Popular republic of China after nearly 500 years of Portuguese occupation.
- December 31st: Release of the hostages of the Airbus of Air India diverted on December 24th, following the relaxation of three separatist cachemiris.
January 1st: introduction of the Euro into 11 countries of the European Union to form the Economic and Monetary Union, or Euro area. The UEM is made up of Germany, Austria, Belgium, Spain, Finland, France, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands and Portugal. January 1st, 1999 marks at the same time the beginning of the transitional period of the national currencies with the euro.
- January 13rd: in Germany, the green government and social democrat make prohibit the reprocessing of the radioactive waste abroad (i.e in France) starting from 2000
- March 11th: resignation of Oskar Lafontaine of its posts of minister of finances of the the Federal Republic of Germany and of president of SPD. Marked on the left, its departure shows the liberal orientation government social democrat of Gerhard Schröder
- March 15th: resignation of the whole of the European commission (chaired by Jacques Santer) following the revelation of abuse some of its members.
- March 24th: the Italy N Romano Prodi succeeds the Luxembourg eois Jacques Santer with the presidency of the European commission.
- May 1st: coming into effect of the Treated of Amsterdam.
- May 6th: election of the Parliament of Scotland
- In May, business of “chicken to the dioxane” which shakes the Belgian government
- 3 and June 4th: The European Council of Cologne marks the birth of the European Politique of safety and defense (PESD).
- June 8th: a common text of Tony Blair and Gerhard Schröder proposes a European social democracy adapted to the requirements of the Libéralisme. This text seems to isolate the French Socialists
- June 10th: election of the European Parliament: strong Abstention and victory of the democratic Christians over the social democrats who lose the majority and the presidency (10 June 13rd)
- June 19th: conference of Bologna on higher education. This conference belongs to a process of consistency of the university courses in Europe.
- June: Vaira Vīķe-Freiberga becomes the 3rd president of the Latvia since its independence in 1990.
- : Lifting of the embargo, in Europe, issued in 1996 on the British meat because of the crisis of the “Mad cow”.
- September 30th: resumption of the war in Chetchnia: the Russian troops penetrate in the Republic, to prevent the support of Chetchnia for islamist close Daguestan
- October 11th: joined together with Tallinn, the 6 Eastern European countries in process of adhesion to the European Union required that this one be made at the latest at the end of 2002
- November 17th: Swiss modification in of the ordinance of the July 4th 1984 regulating the documentary evidence of the origin of the goods as regards Foreign trade.
- 9 and December 10th 1999: The Council euopéen of Helsinki establishes the institutional affairs necessary before the widening of the European Union. He specifies the military capacities necessary to the European Politique of safety and defense (PESD). December 10th, the Turkey becomes official candidate with adhesion with the European Union.
- 26 and December 28th: the storms Lothar and Martin cause extensive damage. The first passed from the south of the England towards the Denmark while crossing the north of the France. The second crosses the north of the Spain, the center-south of France and the north of the Italy.
- December 31st: surprised resignation of the Russian president Boris Ieltsine. The Prime Minister Vladimir Poutine takes the president's functions by interim while waiting for presidential elections in March 2000.
See also: 1999 in France
In January, following several massacres the Kosovan ones by the Serb ones, Louise Arbor, Procureur of the International penal court for ex-Yugoslavia (TPIY) is prevented by the Serb forces from going in the province
- February 6th: the conference of Rambouillet on the Kosovo (6 February 23rd) is a failure, UCK refusing a simple statute of autonomy and Serb international deployment in the province
- March 15th: resumption and failures of the negotiations of Rambouillet on the future of Kosovo (15 March 19th), this time Ci they are the Serb ones and them only which ruin the conference, the UCK having accepted the simple statute of autonomy for the province
- March 23rd: NATO orders the beginning of strike air the Serbia
- March 24th: beginning of strike air NATO Serbia (March 24th - June 9th), immediately starts an surge of Kosovan refugees towards the adjoining countries. Russia suspends its co-operation with NATO
- March 26th: beginning of strike air NATO the Serb forces stationed in Kosovo
- April 2nd: for the first time, strike NATO aim at the center of Belgrade
- May 6th: agreement of the Foreign Ministers of G8 on the deployment of troops international in Kosovo
- May 8th: the embassy from China to Belgrade is touched by a missile states-unien
- May 27th: Slobodan Milošević, Serb president, is accused by the International penal court for ex-Yugoslavia (TPIY), for crime and war crimes against humanity
- June 3rd: Slobodan Milošević accepts the peace plan for Kosovo
- June 8th: suspension of the bombardments of Serbia by NATO and beginning of the withdrawal of the Serb forces of Kosovo
- June 9th: agreement of Kumanovo between NATO and Serb, end of the bombardments in Kosovo, international forces (the KFOR) must give an opinion in Kosovo
- June 12th: entered in Kosovo of the troops of the KFOR, but also of unexpected Russian troops, which discuss the airport of Pristina
- June 20th: end of the withdrawal of the Serb forces of Kosovo
- June 21st: the UCK signs an agreement of demilitarization with the KFOR
- July 2nd: the French B. Kouchner is designated by UNO special representative of the United Nations in Kosovo
- July 23rd: massacre of 14 Serb peasants in Kosovo
- July 25th: beginnings of the “Kouchner administration”, directing MINUK, mission of the United Nations in Kosovo
- August 6th: the leader Albanian moderate Ibrahim Rugova agrees to take part, with the UCK, at the committee of transition to Kosovo whose B. Kouchner is the instigator
- In August, beginning of the exodus of Serb of Kosovo, victims of the reprisals of the Albanians
- September 3rd: the Deutsche Mark (DEM) replaces the Yugoslav dinar like official currency of Kosovo
- September 20th: the UCK (armed with release) is transformed into body of civil protection (TMK) of Kosovo
- November 17th: a conference with Brussels makes it possible to free 1 billion $ for the rebuilding of Kosovo
- December 6th: SOEC publishes his report on the crimes committed by the Serb ones in Kosovo
- December 15th: an agreement signed between Albanian UNO and the three principal parties allows the installation of a provisional administration Kosovo
Arts & culture
- April 25th: With Abanilla (Spain, province of Murcie), alternate of Alfonso Romero, Spanish Matador.
- June 24th: With Alicante (Spain), alternate of Antonio Pérez Rueda known as “El Renco”, Spanish Matador.
- July 11th: With Ávila (Spain), alternate of Antonio Barrera, Spanish Matador.
- September 11th: With Arles (France, department of the Rhone delta), alternative of Jean-Baptiste Jalabert known as “Juan Bautista”, Matador French.
- October 12th: With alternate Saragossa (Spain), of Jesús Millán, Spanish Matador.
Sciences and technology
- January 28th: Volvo sells its automobile industry with Ford
- February 7th: Launching of the probe Stardust, since the base of Cap Canaveral in Florida.
- March 21st: landing Breitling To orbit 3 in Egypt after 19 days, 21 hours and 47 minutes for the first round the world tour in balloon. Controlled by Bertrand Piccard and Brian Jones it had left on March 1st Castle-in Œx in Suisse.
- May 11th: official birth of Aibo, the first dog robot with commercial vocation.
- July 12th: in France, Lionel Jospin inaugurates Éole, the new line (line E) of the the RER, which connects is Parisian with the Gare Saint-Lazare.
- September 30th: serious nuclear accident (level 5), with the manufacturing plant of fuel of Tokaimura.
- December 2nd: the first decoding of the genetic code of a human chromosome, the chromosome 22 by a team of scientists of Cambridge.
- December 10th: first commercial flight of ARIANE 5, during which is put into orbit XMM, a space telescope of the European space agency.
- January 1st: coming into effect of the single news Currency European: the Euro (€) on the financial markets. Its parity with the currencies which it replaces is fixed definitively. The tickets and coins will enter in circulation only in 2002
- January 11th: fall of the Rouble
- January 13rd: the government Brésil IEN lets float the réal, which loses 40% of its value from January 15th to 20th
- January 28th: Volvo sells its automobile industry with Ford
- February 10th: sale of the first actions of Air France
- February 14th: privatization of Aerospace, to allow a fusion with Matra
- February 19th: opening of the market of electricity in the European Union.
- February 20th: Tender offer of Olivetti on Telecom Italia.
- March 3rd: APERTURE of BNP on the General society and Paribas. The rejection by these two last (on April 6th) of the APERTURE marks the beginning of a long stock exchange and media battle.
- March 23rd: the countries of OPEC decide to reduce their production, as of on April 1st, for one one year duration. The oil prices go up.
- March 26th: Renault acquires 36,8% of Nissan
- March 29th: the IMF frees 5 Mandelevium $ in favor of the Russia
- April 6th: rejection by the General society and Paribas of the APERTURE of BNP
- April 7th: OMC condemns the European Union in the “war of the banana” which opposes it to the firms states-uniennes
- May 8th: elections in New Caledonia: 24 RPCR and 18 freedom fighters are elected
- July 2nd: Renault repurchases 51% of Dacia
- July 5th: announces of an APERTURE of TotalFina on Elf
- July 5th: course record of the barrel of Brent: more than 18 $
- July 12th: lowest price of the euro vis-a-vis the dollar: 1,018 $ per one euro, thereafter it will go up
- July 13rd: fusion of French Rhône-Poulenc and the German Hoechst, who train the giant Aventis, first world of the “life sciences”
- July 19th: Against-APERTURE of Elf on TotalFina
- September 3rd: Deutschmark (DEM) replaces the Yugoslav dinar like official currency of Kosovo
- December 3rd: exact parity enters the Euro and the American dollar.
Striking of NATO on Serbia
- War of Kosovo; Massive exodus of Kosovan (Albanian of Serbia) towards the Albania and the Macedonia; strike NATO Serbia
- France: Reserve funds is set up to attenuate the difficulties of coming from the modes of retirement.
Chronologies sets of themes
- the year 1999 in France
- the year 1999 in Aeronautical Switzerland
- : 1999 in aeronautics
- Railroads: 1999 in the railroads
- Sport: 1999 in Data-processing sport
- 1999 in data processing
- Nobel Prize of physics: Gerald 'T Hooft and Martinus J.G. Veltman.
- Nobel Prize of chemistry: Ahmed H. Zewail
- Nobel Prize of physiology or medicine: Günter Blobel
- Nobel Prize of literature: Fatty Günter
- Nobel Prize of peace: Doctors without borders
- “Nobel Prize” of economy: Robert Mundell
Births in 1999
- July 20th: Alexandra of Hanover, girl of the princess Caroline of Monaco and of the prince Ernest-Auguste of Hanover
Death in 1999
- January 14th: Gaetan Girouard, organizer and Canadian journalist (° March 10th 1965)
- January 21st: Susan Strasberg, actress (° May 22nd 1938)
- January 26th: Claude Bez, French footballer
- February 7th: King Hussein of Jordan (° November 14th 1935)
- February 21st: Walter Lini father of the independence of the Vanuatu (° 1942)
- February 27th: Stephan Sirkis, guitarist of the group Indo-China (° June 22nd 1959)
- March 7th: Stanley Kubrick, realizer (° September 26th 1928)
- March 8th: Joe DiMaggio, player of baseball (° November 25th 1914)
- March 12th: Yehudi Menuhin, American violonist (° April 22nd 1916)
- March 15th: Harry Callahan, American photographer (° October 22nd 1912)
- May 7th: Emile Danoën, French writer (° January 10th 1920)
- May 8th: Dirk Bogarde, actor and American scenario writer (° March 28th 1921)
- June 10th: Élie Kakou, French humorist (° January 12th 1960)
- June 11th: DeForest Kelley, American actor (° January 20th 1920)
- July 1st: Sylvia Sidney, actress
- July 2nd: Mario Puzo, American author
- July 5th: Jean-Pierre Darras, French actor (° November 26th 1927)
- July 8th: Charles Conrad, American astronaut (° June 2nd 1930)
- July 19th: John Fitzgerald Kennedy Jr. (° November 25th 1960)
- July 23rd: Its majesty Hassan II, king of Morocco (1961-1999) (° July 9th 1929)
- August 4th: Victor Mature, American actor
- August 23rd: Georges Boulogne, French footballer
- August: Hermann Panzo, French athlete (° February 8th 1958)
- September 7th: Thierry Claveyrolat French cyclist
- September 22nd: George C. Scott, American actor
- October 6th: Amalia Rodrigues, Portuguese singer of Fado.
- October 12th: Wilt Chamberlain, American basketball player
- October 19th: Nathalie Sarraute, French woman of letters (born in 1902).
- October 21st: Paul Vatine, French navigator
- October 25th: Payne Stewart American golfer
- October 29th: Greg (Michel Régnier), creator of cartoon (° May 5th 1931)
- October 31st: Greg Moore, Canadian racing driver
- November 8th: Iouri Malychev, Soviet cosmonaut (° 1941)
- November 19th: Henri Giraud, aviator of mountain
- November 27th: Alain Peyrefitte, French politician
- December 2nd: Darling Légitimus 92 years, Actress, actress of theater, singer and dancer in the negro review (near Josephine Baker), (1st price of female role of the Mostra of Venice, in 1983 for its role of " Man Tine" in " the Street Puts Negro " , Money Lion of the same festival.
- December 11th: Franjo Tudjman, president of Croatia.
- December 16th: Roger Clipping-Rock, mountaineer and writer French.
- December 18th: Robert Bresson, French scenario writer (° September 25th 1901)
- December 19th: Desmond the, actor
- December 24th: Maurice Broods of Murville, politician French
- December 31st: Alain Gillot-Pétré, French presenter of television, born in 1950.
Beats-smg: 1999 Be-X-old: 1999 Cbk-zam: 1999 Map-bms: 1999 Nds-nl: 1999 Simple: 1999 Zh-min-nan: 1999 nor Zh-yue: 1999 年
|Random links:||Bailleul-lès-Pernes | Superstition (music) | Jabberd | Championship of Ireland of football 1927 | Giovanni Battista Piazzetta|