This page relates to the year 1996 Gregorian Calendrier.
September 24th: Opening of the negotiations on the CTBT ( Understanding Nuclear Test Round of applause Treaty ), signed the very same day by the five declared nuclear powers. this treaty will return into force only if 44 nations indicated by name sign it and ratify it.
- January 10th: Swiss modification in of the ordinance of the July 4th 1984 regulating the documentary evidence of the origin of the goods as regards Foreign trade.
- January 11th, Italy: The President of the Council Lamberto Dini resigns after having obtained the vote of the finance law.
- January 24th: The Prime Minister Polish Józef Oleksy announces his resignation.
- January 25th: Adhesion of the Russia to the the Council of Europe.
- January: The governmental majority is reduced to a seat with the the United Kingdom.
- February 9th: Attack of the WILL GO to London (two dead) putting an end to 17 months cease-fire.
- Reprise again operations by WILL GO, which refuses the prerequisites to the peaces posed by John Major in January: total disarmament of the paramilitary groups and organization of elections in Ulster. The negotiations on the statute of Ulster take again in June, but John Major always claims the stop of the attacks of WILL GO so that the Sinn Féin is allowed with the table of the negotiations.
- February 15th: Shipwreck of the tanker Sea Empress with the Wales.
- March 27th: Embargo of the EU on the sales of British bovine meat, following the disease of the mad cow , beginning of a European crisis on the topic of the precaution principle.
- April 22nd, Italy: The coalition of Olivier (center-left) gains the legislative elections with 284 seats. Rifondazione Comunista obtains 35 seats. On the right, the Pole of freedoms (Forza Italia, right-hand side of pi, Alleanza Nazionale) obtains from them 246 and the Northern Lega 59. It is the first alternation of the parliamentary history in Italy.
- May 5th: Jose María Aznar (popular party), chief of the government in Spain.
- May 17th: Romano Prodi form a government in Italy with Lamberto Dini with the foreign affairs and Giuliano Amato with the Budget.
- August 15th: Beginning of the business Marc Dutroux, paedophile and assassin, who calls into question the police force, justice, even the government, in Belgium.
- September 14th: The three nationalist parties (Croatian, Serb and Bosnian) gain the elections in Bosnia-Herzégovine with the detriment of the federalists: Serb, Musulmans and Croatian intends to preserve each one a homogeneous ethnic zone. The confederal institutions cannot function.
- October 1st: Call of Geneva for the European legal Space
- November 22nd: Admission of the Poland to OECD.
- December 14th: European Summit of Dublin.
- December 23rd: The Wochenpost, very popular newspaper in ex-GDR, cease to appear; he will not have survived very a long time the German Réunification.
- Privatization of the national companies of telecommunication in Germany.
- Measurements of recovery of public finances in Italy.
- Commemoration of the eleventh centenary of the Hungary.
See also: 1996 in France
See also: 1996 in Switzerland
- June: the Ukraine gives up stocks of nuclear warheads stored on its ground with the profit of the Russia.
- June 16th: at the conclusion of the first turn of the presidential election in Russia, Boris Eltsine collects 34,8% of the voices, pursued by Guennadi Ziouganov, the communist leader, who obtains 32,1% of the votes, while the general Alexandre Lebed, formerly sanctioned vigorously to have expressed its opposition to the war as Chetchnia, reached 14,7% score making of him the referee of the second turn. Boris Eltsine makes alliance with Lebed by appointing it secretary of the Safety advice.
- July 3rd: re-election of Boris Eltsine like chair federation of Russia (53% of the voices) against 40% its adversary the Ziouganov Communist.
- August 31st: peace agreement in Chetchnia. The Lebed general obtains the withdrawal of the Russian troops, the solution of the final statute of Chetchnia being given to later. The war made enormous destruction and more 30 000 dead.
the fall of the production in Russia reaches its point low. In August, the very strong devaluation of the rouble slows down the imports and makes it possible the Russian companies to find market shares interior. A banking system and a beginning of market of the capital are set up.
- the Uzbek president Islom Karimov recognizes abuses its government and releases the opponents. It takes its distances with respect to the projects of customs union with the Russia, refusing all “mentality of block”.
- January 5th: In Algeria, the new Prime Minister, Ahmed Ouyahia presents her government.
- January 27th: Coup d'etat of the colonel Ibrahim Baré Maïnassara with the Niger.
- March 15th: First elections multipartists in Sierra Leone since 1967. Ahmad Tejan Kabbah is elected president of the Republic.
- March 31st: Constitution multipartist with the Chad: Idriss Déby is elected president of the Republic.
- April 4th: Mathieu Kérékou, former president of the Benign , is elected Head of the State against the outgoing president Nicéphore Soglo (fine in 2006).
- April 11th: Signature with the Cairo of the Treated of Pelindaba, on the denuclearization of the Africa and the Indian Ocean.
- April 19th: Departure of the last Blue helmets of the Rwanda.
- May 8th: Signature of the new South-African Constitution turning definitively the page of the Apartheid.
- May 21st: The shipwreck of a ferry on the Lake Victoria, vis-a-vis the Tanzania, makes some 500 victims.
- May 21st: Assassination of seven monks Trappist S French by the islamist terrorists of the Islamic Group armed (GIA) in Algeria.
- June 26th: Mubarak escapes an attack in Ethiopia. The Egypt shows the Sudan to be used as a basis back for the islamist movements.
- July 25th: Military coup d'etat of the former president Pierre Buyoya with the Burundi.
- July: The Malagasy president Albert Zafy is relieved by the High Constitutional court. He resigns the September 5th.
- : The bishop of Oran (Algeria), Mgr Pierre Claverie, 58 years, is killed in his car, destroyed by a bomb in front of the door of évêché.
- : Sir Cuthbert Sebastian takes its functions of General governor of Saint-Christophe-and-Niévès.
- January 7th: the final election for the presidency of the Guatemala is gained by the former Foreign Minister Álvaro Arzú Irigoyen with 51,2% of the voices compared with 48,8% for its adversary Alfonso Portillo Cabrera.
- 19 and July 20th: Flood of Saguenay to the Quebec
- July, Revolt of Chiapas: “intergalactic conference against the neoliberalism”.
- October 20th: Victoire of the right-wing candidate Arnoldo Alemán vis-a-vis the Sandinista Daniel Ortega with the elections with the Nicaragua.
- November: the voters California NS approve a measure legalizing the use and the culture of the medical Cannabis.
- December 8th: Meeting of the ZLEA ( Free exchange zone of Americas ).
- December 29th: Peace agreements putting an end to the civil war with the Guatemala. One estimates that close to 150 000 people, mainly of the Mayas, have found death in the civil war for thirty-six years. The social injustice remains manifest, only fiftieth owners holding the three fifth of the cultivable grounds.
Brazil, violent ones confrontations burst between the landowners and the without-ground. The president Fernando Henrique Cardoso makes redistribute 1000 km ² grounds of rich person fields deprived to give them to more than 3600 poor families, and authorizes the ground resumption allotted to the Indians.
The United States
- January 26th: Scandal Whitewater. Hillary Clinton must deposit under oath in front of justice.
- January: Bill Clinton reminds the Congrès that “the index of misery” forever be also low.
- Spring: Provisional compromise on the budget.
- April 9th: Item Veto for the President starting from 1997.
- April 24th: Law anti-terrorist which authorizes the expulsion of very emigrated having been condemned once for crime. Decree on the crime, which extends the capital punishment to a whole series of crimes and assigns 8 billion dollars to the construction of prisons.
- April: Fusion of Nynex and Beautiful Atlantic and SBC and Pacific Telesis. There remain nothing any more but five regional companies of telephone.
- May: The Dow Jones to 5800.
- Be: The Gartner Group publishes its first estimates on the project Y2K (data-processing passage to the year 2000), which amount to 300 to 600 billion $ in the world.
- July 27th: Attack of extreme right-hand side to Atlanta, at the time of the Olympic Games: 2 died, 111 wounded.
- August 8th: Vote by the American Congress of the law of Amato-Kennedy
- August 22nd: Law upsetting the system of Welfare. Limitation of the federal allowances in time to support the return to employment.
- November 5th: Re-election of the democrat William (“Bill”) Jefferson Clinton as President of the United States against the republican Robert Pares and independent the Ross Perot with 47% of the votes (45% of abstentions).
Movement around businesses concerning the White House: Whitewater, transfer of the files of the FBI, Travelgate…
- Law putting a term at the regulation of the agricultural production.
- 8,5 million jobs created since the arrival of Clinton.
- weak Inflation (less than 3%). Less than 6% unemployed.
- 240 000 American soldiers are deployed abroad, of which 85 000 in the Member States of NATO.
- January 11th: Ryūtarō Hashimoto, Prime Minister for the Japan.
- March 23rd: democratization with Taiwan. Lee Teng-hui is elected president by the direct suffrage.
- August 10th, Popular republic of China: approval of the Flag of HongKong by the preparatory committee.
- September 26th, Afghanistan: entered of the Taliban S (“islamist students”) with Kabul, the north of the country still resists. The country is divided more than ever between the various armed militia which hold each one of it a part.
- September: stop of the conflict with the greatest group of Moslem secessionists in the south of the Filipino (more 100 000 died since twenty-five years): peace agreement with the national Face of release Moro (FLNM). Talks with the beginning of the year 1997 with a smaller faction.
- November 5th, Pakistan: dismissal for corruption of the Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto, by the Pakistani president Farook Ahmed Leghari.
- November 12th: the collision in flight, above the Indian village of Charki Dudri, of a Boeing 747 of the Saudi Arabian Airlines which had just taken off of Delhi and of a Kazakh Iliouchine It-76 in phase of approach of the same airport results in the death of 349 people. To see the detailed article: Flight 763 Saudi Arabian Airlines.
- December: the Timoreses Jose Ramos-Horta and Carlos Filipe Ximenes Belo, obtain the Nobel Prize of peace.
Kampuchea: the Khmer Rouge are divided into two factions, one pacifist and the other quarrelsome one. Thousands of rebels line up at the sides of the government, while the others, carried out by Pol Pot, gather in the north of the country.
- Mongolia: narrow majority of democratic Alliance to the elections, putting an end to 75 years communist majority at the assembly.
- the Indian Republic counts 900 million inhabitants.
- 11% of Indonésiens lives in lower part of the poverty line.
The Middle East
- March 13rd: Bill Clinton convenes a world summit against terrorism with Charm el-Cheikh in Egypt.
- May: The resolution “Pétrole against food” is accepted by the Iraq and comes into force to the end of the year. It contributes to better bring one to the populations, but the vital needs are far from being satisfied.
- June 25th: An attack aiming at the air base of Khobar kills 19 Americans. The investigation directs towards the billionaire islamist Bin Laden, private of Saoudi nationality in 1994 and taken refuge in Afghanistan.
- June 28th: Government of Necmettin Erbakan in Turkey. The Turkish army makes pressure to obtain the resignation of the ministry directed by islamist.
- July, Syria: The young people of less than 15 years account for 47% of the population. 70% of more the 15 years are taught reading and writing.
- August: New bloody confrontations with the Iraqi Kurdistan. The DPK of Massoud Barzani decides to make alliance with Saddam Hussein. The Iraqi army occupies most of the Kurdish territory. The opposition must evacuate the area. The United States answers by the new ones strike air and extend, without mandate of UNO, the zones of air exclusion in the south of Iraq.
- September 3rd: The the United States fire 27 missiles against military targets from the South of the Iraq in response with the offensive of Saddam Hussein in the Iraqi Kurdistan.
- October, Iraqi Kurdistan: The PUK, supported by the Iran, against attack and takes again part of the lost ground. A new truce is concluded. The following years are remembered by an alternation of confrontations and cease-fires, punctuated of incursion soldiers Turkish.
- December 10th: Resolution 986 of UNO concerning the oil sales of the Iraq, against food.
- Egypt: The economic reforms begin again with the autumn and are accompanied by new cancellations of the debt. The economy knows a clear recovery with a reduction in the inflation and the restarting of the growth. The country opens with the overseas investments and accelerates privatizations.
- the financial crisis in Saudi Arabia is dammed up at the price of the stagnation of the national revenue.
- January 5th: The most required man of the Hamas, the bomb disposal expert Yahia Ayache is assassinated with Gaza. 100 000 Palestinians go to its funeral.
- January 20th: First elections with the Vote for all in the West Bank and with Gaza. Yasser Arafat is elected president of the Palestinian authority with 88% of the votes. After the elections, Shimon Peres authorizes the members of CNP to enter to Gaza in order to hold a meeting of revision of the Palestinian charter.
- February: Terrorist violences begin again. A proposal for a cease-fire of the Hamas is refused by E Israeli government.
- February 25th: A double murder commits suicide Hamas made 25 dead civilians.
- March 3rd: A new operation kills 19 people. Shimon Peres proclaims an all-out war against the Hamas.
- March 4th: A third attack makes 13 dead. The approval rating of Fathers crumbles.
- April 10th: Release of the operation '' Raisins of anger '' by the Israelis with the Southern Lebanon, in reaction to rocket fires of the Hezbollah. It aims at the economic infrastructures but causes civil losses (100 died in a camp of FINUL the April 18th). The populations of the south flee towards north.
- April 15th: An Israeli bombardment on a camp of UNO makes 102 dead civilians in Lebanon and of the hundreds of casualties.
- April 24th: The Palestinian National council removes Charte of the PLO the articles which required the disappearance of the State of Israel.
- April 26th: A cease-fire is obtained with the Southern Lebanon thanks to a Franco-American mediation. Inspection committees are set up.
- May 29th: Victoire of the Likoud at the time of the elections to the Knesset. Its chief Benyamin Netanyahou is the new Prime Minister, to replace the member of the Labor Party Shimon Peres. He criticizes the action of his Labor predecessors and stresses the safety of Israel; he gives green light to the extension of the Jewish colonies in the West Bank and lays down conditions such as the discussions on the future of the autonomy of the Palestine are blocked.
- June 23rd: In front of this program, the Arab States meet in the Cairo and point out the principles of peace (“peace against the ground”) and asks for the respect of the commitments entered into. Netannyahou estimates this standpoint like a provocation and “diktat”. Colonization begins again during the summer.
- September 24th: The digging of a tunnel with tourist vocation close to the Esplanade of the mosques causes an angry outburst (81 dead including 65 Palestinians). The occupied territories are immediately closed.
Législatives with the Lebanon, which devotes a Net political pluralism (be).
Oceania & the Pacific
- January 29th: The France proceeds to its last nuclear test in the Pacifique.
- March 11th: John Howard, preserving Prime Minister in Australia.
- March 25th: France, the the United Kingdom and the the United States sign the Traité of Rarotonga of 1985 on the denuclearization of the Pacifique Southern.
- November 25th: Meeting of the countries of the APEC with Manila.
Chronologies sets of themes
Arts & culture
Aeronautical: 1996 in aeronautics
- Railroads: 1996 in the railroads
- Sport: 1996 in Data-processing sport
- : 1996 in data processing
- Birth of Tomb Raider
- Arts & letters
- January 29th: Destruction by a fire of the Fenice, the opera of Venice.
- August: publication of Carlo Gozzi, the Venetian last , biography of Carlo Gozzi (1720-1805) by O. and Mr. Mathieu.
- Sciences & technology
- March 20th: British scientists put forth the assumption of a bond between the bovine spongiform Encéphalopathie (ESB) or “disease of the mad cow” and the Maladie of Creutzfeldt-Jacob.
- May 1st: With Játiva (Spain, Province of Valence), alternate of Jose Pacheco Rodríguez known as “El Califa”, Spanish Matador.
- May 20th: With Madrid (Spain), alternate of Shine Miguel Encabo, Spanish Matador.
- May 23rd: With alternate Nimes (France, department of the Gard), of Cristina Sánchez, Spanish Matador.
- May 30th: With Cordoue (Spain), alternate of Jose Shine Moreno, Spanish Matador.
- July 20th: With Valence (Spain), alternative of Jose Antonio Canales Will rivet, Spanish Matador.
- October 3rd: With Madrid (Spain), alternate of Jose Ignacio Uceda Leal, Spanish Matador.
- March 27th: Embargo of the EU on the sales of British bovine meat, following the disease of the mad cow (bovine spongiform Encephalopathy), beginning of a European crisis on the topic of the Precaution principle.
- June 5th: Withdrawal of the Gabon of OPEC.
- September 21st: European “Stability pact”, by which the applicant countries with the single currency engage with repecter a rigorous monetary discipline.
- November 18th: Agreement of Free trade between the Chile and the Canada.
- November 24th: The Lire Italian reinstates EMS left since 1992.
- December 8th: Meeting of the ZLEA ( free exchange zone of Americas ).
- December 9th: First meeting of OMC with Singapore (Dec. 9-13).
- Nobel Prize of physics: Douglas Osheroff, David Morris Lee and Robert Coleman Richardson
- Nobel Prize of chemistry: Robert Curl, Sir Harold Kroto and Richard Smalley
- Nobel Prize of physiology or medicine: Peter Doherty and Rolf Zinkernagel
- Nobel Prize of literature: Wisława Szymborska
- Nobel Prize of peace: Carlos Filipe Ximenes Belo and Jose Ramos-Horta
Births in 1996
- February 9th: James Bennett, American actor.
Death in 1996
- January 5th: Václav David, former Foreign Minister of Czechoslovakia of 1953 with 1968.
- January 8th: François Mitterrand, former president of the French Republic (° October 26th 1916)
- January 13rd: Denise Grey, French actress (° September 17th 1896)
- January 17th: Richard Baquié, French sculptor.
- January 28th: Jerry Siegel, author of band-drawn, father of “Superman”.
- February 2nd: Gene Kelly (Eugene Curran), actor, realizer, American dancer (° 1912)
- February 5th: Magnus, Italian draftsman of Cartoon (° May 31st 1939)
- February 6th: Guy Madison, actor.
- February 11th: Phil Regan, singer and actor.
- February 13rd: Martin Balsam, actor.
- February 15th: Tommy Rettig, actor.
- February 17th
- Herve Bazin, French writer.
- Evelyn Bush hammer, actress.
- February 25th: Haing S. Ngor, actor.
- February 28th: Maximilien Rubel, communist theorist.
- March 2nd: Lyle Talbot, actor.
- March 3rd
- March 13rd: Krzysztof Kieślowski, realizer polono - French.
- March 15th: Gad Al-Haq Ali Gad Al-Haq, Egyptian monk , vice-chancellor of the Mosque Al-Azhar with the Cairo (° April 5th 1917).
- March 17th: Rene Clement, realizer.
- March 22nd: Robert F. Overmyer, American astronaut (° July 14th 1936)
- April 6th: Greer Garson, actress.
- April 16th: Lucille Bremer, actress.
- April 21st: Robert Harrowing, French tycoon of the press.
- April 21st: Zora Arkus-Duntov, automobile engineer.
- May 8th: Shine Miguel González Lucas known as “Luis Miguel Dominguín”, Matador (° November 9th 1926).
- May 20th: Jon Pertwee, actor.
- May 31st: Timothy Leary, author American, psychological, militant for drugs.
- June 10th: OJ Van Fleet, actress.
- June 11th: Brigitte Helm, actress.
- June 14th: Gesualdo Bufalino, writer Italy N. (° November 15th 1920).
- June 15th: Ella Fitzgerald, American singer.
- June 18th: Milig Ar Scanv, known as Glenmor, bards Breton
- June 23rd: Andreas Papandreou, Greek politician.
- July 30th: Claudette Colbert, actress.
- July 30th: Magda Schneider, actress.
- : Mgr Pierre Claverie, bishop of Oran (Algeria), in an attack.
- August 2nd: Michel Debré, French politician.
- August 13rd: António Spínola, soldier and politician Portuguese.
- August 30th: Christine Pascal, actress and French director, commits suicide.
- September 7th: Bibi Besch, actress.
- September 10th: Thick Joanne, actress.
- September 13rd
- Wiktor Woroszylski, writer and poet Polish (° June 8th 1927)
- 2Pac, Rap fear and assassinated American actor with Las Vegas of new balls in the body.
- September 14th: Juliet Prowse, dancer and actress.
- September 18th: Annabella, actress.
- September 21st: Sabine Zlatin, Founder of the House Of izieu, Resistant, Painter
- September 22nd: Dorothy Lamour, actress.
- October 2nd: Robert Bourassa, Lawyer and former Prime Minister for Quebec.
- October 4th: Silvio Piola, Italian footballer.
- October 12th: Rene Lacoste, tennis player, business man (° 1904).
- October 14th: Laura the Plant, actress.
- October 21st: Roger Lapébie, cyclist French, 85 years.
- October 24th: Sir Gladwyn Jebb, diplomatic British, first General secretary of UNO by interim (° April 25th 1900).
- October 31st: Flesh-colored Marcel, realizer.
- November 14th: Virginia Cherrill, actress.
- November 19th: Véra Korène, actress.
- December 8th: Howard E. Rollins Jr, actor.
- December 9th: Alain Poher, French, old politician President of the Republic by interim twice.
- December 14th: Gaston Miron, Québécois poet.
- December 19th: Marcello Mastroianni, actor.
- December 20th: Carl Sagan, American astrophysicist.
- December 23rd: Sophie Tuscan of Plantier, wife of the famous French producer Daniel Toscan of Plantier.
- December 29th: Daniel Mayer, French political personality, (° 1909)
- December 30th: Lew Ayres, actor
Beats-smg: 1996 Be-X-old: 1996 Map-bms: 1996 Nds-nl: 1996 Simple: 1996 Zh-min-nan: 1996 nor Zh-yue: 1996 年
|Random links:||Tai-chi Sun style | Madrugada | Diego Perez | Facelift | Karrigell|