This page relates to the year 1828 Gregorian Calendrier.
- July 27th:
- Died of the king mérina Radama Ier. His first wife and Ramavo cousin are proclaimed queen by the army and the nobility and take the name of Ranavalona.
- Beginning of the reign of Ranavalona, queen of Madagascar, which practices a xenophobe policy and reactionary (fine in 1861). Rainiharo, husband of Ranavalona, become Prime Minister.
- In Ethiopia, the Masâfént of the Bégameder Marié of Yédjou succeeds Ras Imâm. It is combined with powerful the dédjach Oubié, governor of the Sémien, against Sabagaudis which holds the Tigré. Married is killed in the battle, but Oubié, winner, capture Sabagaudis which is put at death.
the Imam of Mascate and Oman, Seyyd Saïd ibn Sultan visit Zanzibar.
- Doubly of the trade of Zanzibar between 1828 and 1834. Zanzibar becomes the shopping mall of the Eastern coast of Africa. The culture of the giroflier and coconuts will make its fortune.
- April 20th: Rene Curdled, a French peasant of the Two-Sevres, left only Guinea, after a visit of Djenné, remains a few months in the Holy City of Tombouctou disguised as a Moslem (fine in 1828). The city counts nearly two hundred Koranic schools and several universities. Rene Caillé crosses the the Sahara and reached the Morocco. Its statements and observations upset the chart of Africa native of Niger.
- According to Rene Curdled, Tombouctou account of 10 with 12 000 inhabitants and is the principal warehouse of the area.
a conspiracy kills the sultan of the Ouadaï, Khafrine and puts on the throne one of its sons which dies of variola at the end of some month. As all the others wire of Khafrine had the eyes burst after its assassination, it is a grandson of Abd el-Kérim, Mohammed Abd el-Aziz, which is designated as sultan of Ouadaï (1829 - 1834). Its reign is marked by many revolts and bloody repressions.
the British government leaves the administration of the coastal stations of Gold Coast at the Committee of the Merchants (fine in 1843). This one extends the cultural and legal influence the United Kingdom in the area, in particular with in the chair its president the lieutenant George Maclean starting from 1830.
- Explorations of Duranton starting from the Senegal (fine in 1838).
- April 30th: Embassy of Tchaka to the king of the the United Kingdom. It returns in August after the failure of its mission.
- May: Countryside of Tchaka against Mpondo, Thembu and Bhaca with the participation of English mercenaries.
- Revolt of the army Zulu.
- September 22nd: Died of Shaka Zulu king of the , assassinated by his/her brothers and replaced by one of them, Dingaan (fine of reign in 1840).
- the British government allows the Hottentots, the Bochimans and the Grika (mongrel) to acquire grounds, which puts them directly in competition with the Boers.
- Ordinance n° 50: equality of all the inhabitants in front of the law in the Colony of the Cape. The British penal code replaces the Dutch code.
- Voyage in England of John Philip which publishes Researches South Africa .
- January: Engagements of the lake Mirim between Argentina and Brazil.
- February 10th: Spanish naval Victoire on Mexico with the Battle of Mariel.
- April 11th: Foundation of Bahía Blanca.
- April 18th: Abdication of Antonio Jose de Sucre of the presidency of the republic of Bolivia.
- May 19th: Coming into effect of the “tariff of the abominations” to the the United States, which imposes customs taxation very high of the foreign manufactured goods. It digs the gap between the commercial oligarchy of the New England and the aristocracy of the plantations which must very expensive pay the manufactured goods.
- August 27th: Treaty of Rio de Janeiro. Independence of the Republic of the Uruguay. Stake of the competition between the Brazil and the Argentinian , Uruguay owes its independence with the the United Kingdom which wishes to create a Buffer state between the two powers.
- the Republican party is divided into national republicans (John Quincy Adams) and republican democrats (Andrew Jackson).
- December 30th: Burden with workers of textile industry with Dover (New Hampshire).
- Mars: the Assam is annexed by the British.
- Gamdhar Kanvar, resulting from a hurdy-gurdy family of Assam, is proclaimed king by the Assamais rebels who fight for their independence with respect to the British.
- August 20th: With the Bengal, the rajah Rammohun Roy founds the Brahmo Samaj, religious movement nationalist trying to adapt the Hindu culture to the modern ideas.
- August 24th: The Dutch Compagnie of the Eastern Indies takes possession of the western half of the New Guinea.
- the king of Vientiane Anou, taken refuge at the court of Huê, is stopped by the Siam ois whereas it tried to pass from Huê in China. Locked up with Bangkok, it will be carried out in 1835.
Foundation of the Java Bank .
The Middle East
- February 21st: Peace of Turkmantchaï between the Russia and the Persian , imposed by the general Paskievitch. Persia yields to Russia the provinces Erevan and of Nakhitchevan. The tsar perceives 3 million rouble of war indemnities. The border is delimited by the river Araxe. The freedom of trade is granted to the Russian merchants. The treaty envisages the right for all the Armenians living Persia to be transported in the provinces annexed by Russia: 35 000 Armenians of the area of Ourmia use of this possibility. The Russian accommodate them, hoping that the friendly attitude of the Armenians Turkish would make allies in the event of new hostilities of them.
- January: Arrival of Jean Capodistrias with Nauplie. He becomes the first governor of Greece. Unit of the Greece (1828 - 1913).
- January 22nd: Beginning of the ministry tory of the Arthur Wellesley, duke of Wellington, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom (fine in 1830).
- April 14th: Russo-Turkish War. The tsar launches his troops in Anatolia Eastern, Moldavie and in the plain of the Dobroudja.
- May 26th: discovered Kaspar To raise, called “the orphan of Europe”, in a street of Nuremberg.
- June 23rd: Catch of Kars by the Russians.
- June 28th: Beginning of the reign of Miguel, king of the Portugal (fine in 1834). Return to the absolutism. Miguel, although it lent oath to the liberal charter, obtains the forfeiture of the queen Marie II of Bragance while being based on the nobility absolutist.
- August 6th: Mehemet Ali, khedive of Egypt, accepts the Franco-British requests for an Egyptian evacuation of the troops of the Greece. Egypt breaks its alliance with the Door.
- August: French Forwarding in Morée (1828 - 1829) of House. It occupies of it the fortified town and loses only 43 men.
- September 29th: Catch of Varna by the Russians.
- October: The armies of the tsar invade the Danubian principalities and set up a Russian military administration at it.
- December 15th: With Warsaw, creation by the second lieutenant Piotr Wysocki of a secret society which recruits among the pupils of the school of the candidates of the infantry.
- December 20th: New statute of the elementary schools and secondary in Russia.
- major Constitutional reforms in the United Kingdom (1828 - 1832). Measurements which prevent the religious dissidents from taking part in the government of the municipalities are repealed (1828). Irish
- Election of the catholic leader and nationalism Daniel O' Connell with the House of Commons with 70% of the votes.
- Germany: The Minister for Finance of Frederic-Guillaume III of Prussia Friedrich von Motz obtains an agreement of customs union (Zollverein) with the Hesse-Darmstadt which connects the two parts of the kingdom of Prussia. In reaction, Metternich and the sovereigns create a Union of the Center (Hanover, Brunswick and Hesse-Cassel) and a Union of the South (Bavaria and Wurtemberg).
- Creation in Russia of IVe section of the private Chancellery (administration of the female public assistance and educational establishments).
See also: 1828 in France
- Lamennais founds the congregation of Pierre saint intended to form a clergy erudite, able to answer the attacks of the philosophers.
- Memory to be consulted on a religious system tending to reverse the religion, the company and the throne of the count of Montlosier, which denounces the intrigues ultramontanes of part of the clergy.
Art & Culture
Science & technology
See also: 1828 in science
- Inauguration of the first covered swimming pool with Liverpool, the United Kingdom: St-George' S Pier. A club of Natation is founded there.
- the Kent is crowned champion of Cricket in England.
- the word “sport” enters the German language.
Economy & Company
- the Hungary account 57 important cities. Pest-Buda account more 86 000 inhabitants, Szeged, Pozsony, Debrecen and Kecskemét more 30 000, three other cities more 20 000.
- the prince Drucki-Liubecki, Minister Polish for Finances, founds a Bank of Poland and supports the investments in the old field of Kielee, where it creates working roads and cities.
- Foundation of the technological Institute of Saint-Pétersbourg and of the Council of manufactures in Russia.
Births in 1828
- February 8th: Jules Verne, French novelist († 1905).
- March 18th: William Randal To cream, Nobel Prize of peace in 1903 († 1908).
- May 8th: Henri Dunant, founder of the the Red Cross, Nobel Prize of peace in 1901 († 1910).
- May 12th: Dante Gabriel Rossetti, poet, writer and British painter († 1882).
- June 2nd: Wilfred Hudleston Hudleston], (born Simpson), British geologist , († 1909).
- September 9th of the Gregorian Calendar or August 28th of the Calendar Julien: Leon Tolstoï, Russian writer († 1910).
- September 22nd: Heinrich Agathon Bernstein, naturalist-traveller Dutch († 1865).
- November 3rd: Octavius Pickard-Cambridge, priest and British zoologist († 1917).
Death in 1828
- April 16th: Francisco Goya, Spanish painter (° 1746).
- June 2nd: Leandro Fernández de Moratín (° 1760), Spanish dramatic author inspired by Molière and Marivaux.
- July 15th: Jean-Antoine Houdon, French sculptor
- October 26th: Albrecht Daniel Thaer, German agronomist (° 1752).
- November 8th: Thomas Bewick, engraver and British Ornithologist (° 1753).
- November 19th: Franz Schubert, type-setter
- November 26th: Gilbert de Riberolles, French politician, appointed of the Third state of the Seneschalsy of Riom to the General states. (° March 8th 1749).
- December 28th:
- nonwell informed or unknown Dates :
Be-X-old: 1828 Map-bms: 1828 Simple: 1828 Zh-yue: 1828 年
|Random links:||Keikō (emperor) | Museum of contemporary art of the Valley-of-Marne | Brunegg | Torpedo (artillery) | Stornello|