This page relates to the year 1738 Gregorian Calendrier.
- the kingdom of Abomey pay tribute with the kingdom of Oyo.
Saint-Denis becomes chief town of the island Bourbon with the detriment of Saint-Paul.
- Nâdir Shâh enters in India by the Passe of Khyber and takes Lahore.
- February 4th: The financier Joseph Süss Oppenheimer (the Jew Süss) is carried out with Wurtemberg.
- May 8th: sale of the Viscount of Turenne (in the Low Limousin), one of the last parts independent of the Kingdom of France, with Louis XV whose wife is then Polish, whereas the woman of Charles Godefroy Viscount of Turenne, born Sobieski is it also Polish.
- July 13rd: battle of Méhadia, in the judeţ of Caraş-Severin, in which took part the duke François III of Lorraine.
- August 2nd: The France proposes its mediation with the Germanic emperor Charles VI in his war with the Turkey.
- November 18th: Third treated of Vienna: Stanislas Leszczynski gives up the Polish crown with the profit of Auguste III of Poland and receives the duchies of Bar and Lorraine on a purely basis for life (fine in 1766). François-Etienne of Lorraine gives up the duchy of Lorraine for the Toscane and of strong allowances paid by France. Gift Carlos, wire of Philippe V of Spain and Elisabeth Farnèse, which gives up the expectancy of the duchy of Toscane yielded to the duke of Lorraine and to the duchy of Parma yielded to the emperor of Austria, obtains Naples and the Sicily. The France adheres to the Pragmatic Sanction. End of the War of succession of Poland. The Poland is evacuated by the Russian troops and saxonnes.
- the Saxon king Auguste III does not appear in Poland, but engages the demilitarization and the neutralization of the country in a European system which wants that Poland is not submitted to only one guard. With the Diet, eight assemblies out of ten are broken in consequence of the liberum veto introduces in 1652. The diplomacies of France, Austria and Russia intervene in the discussions with money blow; the families of the tycoons follow one or the others according to their own interests, and according to fights start between the Potocki and the Czartoryski.
- Russo-Turkish War: Evacuation of the the Crimea by the Russian troops, decimated by the disease. The Peste reaches the Russia.
- Vexations of Königsegg against the Turks in Serbia.
- French Intervention in Corsica (fine in 1741).
- Jean-Baptiste Marchault becomes Maître of the requests in France.
- With the Portugal, Sebastião Jose de Carvalho E Mello is named ambassador with London (1738 - 1744), then with Vienna (1744 - 1749).
- Appearance in Russia of the forgery tsarévitch Alexis Pétrovitch.
- Taken again Franco-Russian relations. The prince Antioche Cantemir is with Paris as ambassador plenipotentiary.
- License worsening the weight of the Drudgery in Bohemia starting again agitation in the campaigns.
- April 28th: Bubble In eminenti : the Pape excommunicates the Franc-maçonnerie.
- May 24th, with 20:45: John Wesley (1703 - 1791) has an interior illumination ( ligth within ) which gives him the insurance of the hello. It in the open air organizes vast gatherings for its preaching methodist. It enters in relation to the Moravian Frères.
Art & culture
See also: 1738 with the theater
- June 24th: Foundation of the Big room of France.
- October 2nd: First publication of the “Sheet of Opinion of Neuchâtel”, first daily newspaper of French language. It is published without discontinuity until our days under the title of “the Express train”
Samuel Johnson publishes in anonymity its first great poem, London , which is an immediate success.
- Claude-Adrien Helvétius is named farmer general. He resigns thereafter because of the corruption of his colleagues of office.
- James Thomson composes the Rule Britannia .
- Okumura Masanobu produces prints color.
- François Butcher painted the lunch .
- Cleaning lady , fabric of Chardin.
- Seen basin of Saint-Marc , fabrics of Canaletto.
Science & technology
- April: Publication of Elements of the philosophy of Newton , work of popularization of Voltaire.
- Publication of the Figure of the Earth, determined by the Observations of Sirs Maupertuis, Clairaut, Camus, Monnier & of Mr. the Outhier Abbot, accompanied by Mr. Centigrade. (Paris, royal Printing works, 1738).
- Memories to be used with the history and progress of Astronomy, the Geography and Physics , Joseph-Nicolas Delisle.
- Hydrodynamica of Daniel Bernoulli in which it exposes the fundamental theorem of the Mécanique fluids which bears its name: the Theorem of Bernoulli.
- the Académie of Paris determines the relationship between Speed of sound and intensity of the wind.
- Pulpit of Chemistry to the University of Oxford.
- Invention of the Weaving loom mechanical in Great Britain.
- Franz Ketterer invents the Cuckoo clock.
Economy & company
- France: Foundation of the porcelain factory of Vincennes (transferred then to Sevres).
- France: Institution of the royal militia for the construction of the roads. A circular of Philibert Orry on the drudgeries obliges the bordering communes to send operations on the roads in building site. Measurement proves at the same time effective and unpopular. 30 000 km of new motor-roads will be built until in 1782.
- to restrict the encroachments of the mesta and the sterilization of the grounds, Philippe V of Spain tries to impose on all the Spain the setting in défens of the communal ones. It will be necessary to give up this measurement for tax reasons in 1748, with the help of an increase in the taxes on wool.
- Land register of the Savoy.
Births in 1738
- June 22nd: Jacques Delille, Man of the church, poet, French academician (elected in 1774) († 1813)
- : Jacques François Dugommier, military French. († November 17th 1794).
- November 15th: William Herschel, British astronomer
Death in 1738
- June 21st: Lord Townshend, British agronomist (1674-1738, known as Lord Turnip), who popularized the introduction of one culture to the place of the fallow and the systems of complex rotation. The fallow are replaced by weeded plants (turnip, potato, beet) or fertilizing plants (clover and alfalfa). These cultures make it possible to nourish the population and to develop the breeding.
- January 17th: Jean-François Dandrieu, French musician.
- September 23rd: Hermann Boerhaave, doctor and botanist Dutch (° 1668).
Be-X-old: 1738 Map-bms: 1738 Simple: 1738 Zh-yue: 1738 年
|Random links:||Other-church | James Gadsden | Meductic | The Killers (news) | Fourth district of the Guadeloupe|