This page relates to the year 1720 Gregorian Calendrier.
the king Jean V of Portugal removes the Company Commercial of the Brésil. It restores the exclusive colonial one, while granting contracts to private contractors ( Asiento ) and maintains the system of the convoys, organized under the authority of the Council of Finances.
- Creation of Strong Toronto by the French (for the draft of the furs).
- Introduction of the Coffee to the Martinique.
- July 25th: Combat of Anjouan
- Togo: Dispersion of the Ewé vis-a-vis the tyranny of their king Agokoli.
- Tibet : The Chinese troops expel the Dzoungars and enter Lhassa. The emperors Qing affirm their sovereignty on the country, by leaving in Lhassa representatives and a small garrison.
- the emperor Moghol Muhammad Shah, with the assistance of the viceroy of the Dekkan Nizam-ul-Mulk makes assassinate the minister Hussain Ali and imprison the minister Abdullah (poisoned in 1722).
- Muhammad Shah carries out a life of pleasure, protects arts but is not interested in the businesses of the empire and the provinces of the Empire moghol take again their independence gradually (Hyderabad, Maïssour, Aoudh, Bengal).
- Foundation by Russian of the fort of Oust-Kamenogorsk against the Kazakh .
- the Prussia obtains Stettin and them mouths of the Oder at the time of the peace of Stockholm. It transforms the area of zone of predilection of its noble great landowners, the Junkers.
- January: Treaty of Madrid: Philippe V of Spain gives up definitively the throne of France, evacuates the Sardinia and the Sicily. Charles VI gives up the crown of Spain and accepts that the suzerainty of the duchies of Toscane and Parma go to infant gift Carlos.
- February 17th: Treaty of La Hague. End of the War of the Quadruple Alliance.
- February 29th: Ulrique Éléonore of Sweden abdicates in favor of her husband Frederic de Hesse (fine of reign in 1751). This one tries to find the absolutism (1720 - 1723).
- May 20th: Philippe V of Spain is constrained to adhere to the Quadruple Alliance.
- April 22nd: Arvid Horn, chief of the party of the “Bonnets”, favorable to stability and the agreements with the Russia and the Great Britain, is named Prime Minister of Frederic Ier of Sweden.
- May 3rd: Crowning of Frederic Ier of Sweden.
- June 19th: The Diet of Ljubljana ratifies the Pragmatic Sanction.
- July 3rd: Treaty of Frederiksborg: Frederic IV of Denmark obtains the southernmost Schleswig, the Hanover, Bremen and Verden, the Prussia part of the Poméranie.
- July 27th: Battle of Grengam. Russian naval Victoire in the Islands Åland.
- August 8th: Treaty of London. The Sicily is yielded by the Savoy to the Austria in exchange of the Sardinia. Victor-Amédée II of Savoy (1718 - 1730) becomes king of Sardinia.
- September: South Sea Bubble , financial crash resulting from an unrestrained speculation on the goods of State in Great Britain. The South Sea Act subjects to royal authorization the foundation of any company by action, but measurement is not easily applicable.
- Law pointing out the right of the British Parliament to legislate in Ireland.
- January 5th: Law becomes General inspector of finances.
- February 24th: Fusion ordered by the government between the various elements of the Système of Law causes a crisis of confidence. The low-incomes of the Company of the the Mississippi add with discredit. Between February and October, all the actions are sold. The collapse of the reserves after spectacular conversions of tickets into noble metals causes the collapse of all the building. The bank becomes exhausted and ceases its payments. Law leaves for the exile in December.
- March 9th: An edict removes the provostal loads of the Maréchaussée (ancestor of the Gendarmerie), which is then made up in brigades established each one on a geographical sector, before a real grid of the territory is not carried out in 1769.
- March 22nd: After the rush of the carriers of actions, following the rumors of gold inexistence to the the Mississippi, the Stock Exchange of the firm street Quincampoix.
- Mars: Business of Brittany. Supports of Spain to the revolted Breton aristocrats causes honesty in France of the Parliament of Rennes. The noble Breton ones, Pontcallec at their head, are insulated, then stopped. Four of them, are condemned to death, and 16 others by contumacy on order of the convened royal Room with Nantes by the Regent. Pontcallec, Montlouis, Talhouët and of Couëdic are decapitated the March 23rd, place of Bouffay to Nantes.
- May 25th: Return of the plague to Marseilles and in Provence, come from the Raising (120 000 died of June to the summer 1721, of which 45 000 with Marseilles, is 50% of the population), one of the last great manifestations of the disease in Europe. A medical cord of troops stops the contagion in the valley of the the Rhone and the Languedoc.
- July 17th: The Système of Law crumbles.
- the Parlement of Paris is exiled with Pontoise.
- Removal of the Councils. The secretariats of States are restored.
- August 4th: Repression of the Jansénisme: the Régent approaches the Jésuites and applies the bubble Unigenitus Dei Filius .
- December 4th: The Parlement of Paris records the Unigenitus in way ambiguity.
- December 14th: Final fall of Law.
- December 23rd: Set fire to Rennes.
- December: Government of Joseph Paris Duverney.
Création of the 1st regiment of Hussards says Hussards de Bercheny.
- Renewal of activity of the Enquiry in Spain. 64 autos-da-fe are organized between 1721 and 1727. 75 people are burned.
- Enquiry restriction on professional choice of famous downward doctors of Conversos, showing them of crypto-Judaism: Ruy Lopez de Villalobos, Huarte de San Juan, Andrès Laguna and Mateo Zapata are driven out of Madrid about 1720-1730. They leave to Bordeaux, with Amsterdam, in Turkey…
- Création of Sana dottrina, running catholic Italian moderate reformer.
- Creation with the request express of the Tsar of one évêché orthodoxe with Mogilew (Mohylew). The totality of the nobility ruthene remains however attached to the Church uniate.
Art & culture
See also: 1720 with the theater
- Pantheistikon , of John Toland.
- Life, Adventures and piracies of the captain Singleton ( the Life, Adventures and Pyracies off the Famous Captain Singleton ), novel of Daniel Defoe.
- With the Japan, the interdict is raised on the foreign books (except the religious works).
Mass in major D of Alessandro Scarlatti.
archaeological Discovery of the Palatine , with Rome.
- Italian Actors and the Sign of Gersaint , fabrics of Watteau.
Science & technology
- Creation in Paris of a deposit of charts and maritime plans.
Economy & company
Fall of the monetary value of the offices in France: a responsibility of advising at the Parliament of Paris costs approximately 100 000 pounds in 1720 and 45 000 pounds in 1743. The number of the officers reaches a maximum with 50 000 until 1771.
- has London, an investigation shows that the nine tenth of new born left with the load of the parishes die in the year.
- 20 tons of gold of the Brésil arrive at Lisbon.
- the emigration is prohibited with the Portugal.
- the Sweden produces one the third of the European Fer. It accounts for 75% of exports of the country in value.
- 17 million inhabitants in Germany.
- 474 000 colonists of British origin in North America. The colony of New York account 7000 inhabitants. 30 000 inhabitants of French origin to the Canada.
- 40 000 inhabitants with Santo Domingo (6000 in 1680).
Births in 1720
- February 10th: Charles de Géer, biologist and politician Swedish († 1793)
- March 13rd: Charles Bonnet, biologist and Swiss philosopher
- July 18th: Gilbert White, Naturalist and British Ornithologist († 1793).
Death in 1720
- August 17th: Mrs Dacier, érudite French (born Anne Lefebvre, 1647 -1720).
- October 10th: Antoine Coysevox, sculptor (Lyon, 1640 - Paris, 1720).
- October 25th: Antoine IV of Grammont, duke of Grammont, viceroy of Navarre. (° 1641).
- November 17th: Calico Jack Rackham, pirate, hung with Spanish Town (Jamaica)
Be-X-old: 1720 Map-bms: 1720 Simple: 1720 Zh-yue: 1720 年
|Random links:||Ozourt | Thierry V of Holland | The Host | Old communes of Yvelines | Vučja Lokva|