This page relates to the year 1718 Gregorian Calendrier.
- June 16th: attempted murder of the Viceroy of News-Spain Baltasar de Zúñiga.
- August 12th: The French of Jean-Baptiste Moyne de Bienville base La Nouvelle-Orléans in Louisiana on the Gulf of Mexico in the honor of the regent, the duke of Orleans.
- November 22nd: Battle of the island of Ocracoke. The pirate Edward Teach (Black Beard) is killed by the British Royal Marine.
- December 10th: The pirate Stede Bonnet is hung with Charleston.
- February 21st: With died of the Manicongo Pedro IV, the Congo remains in peace thanks to tribal compromises.
- a Chinese task force is pushed back by Dzoungar with the Tibet.
- Died of the Kazakh khan Tyawka which, attacked by the Mongolian of Dzoungarie had required their assistance of the Russians.
- the Russians found the fort of Semipalatinsk against the Kazakh .
The Middle East
- April 9th: Damad-Ibrahim becomes top dog of the Ottoman Empire (death on October 1st 1730). Beginning of the era of the tulips.
- Be and autumn heats. Abundant grape harvest and of very good quality in the Rhenish vineyard.
- July 21st: Treaty of Passarowitz (Požarevac) between the Austria, Venice and the Turkey, which yields a great number of territories of which the Small-Valachie (Olténie), the Banat of Temesvar, part of the Serbia until the Šumadia (1718 - 1739), the north of the Bosnia and Belgrade with the Habsbourg. Venice acquires the Dalmatie, the Albania and the Herzégovine and declares its neutrality towards its neighbors. The Othoman recover the Morée. The Austria obtains its greater territorial extension. The exchanges between the Empire and the Othomans develop following an advantageous commercial treaty for Austria.
August 2nd: Treaty of Cockpit. Formation of the Quadruple Alliance made up of the France, the the United Kingdom, the Holland and the Emperor, for the maintenance of the Treated of Utrecht against the Spain. The duke of Savoy must exchange the Sicily with the Austria against the Sardinia.
- the Spain occupies the Sicily.
- Countryside of Sicily of the Emperor against the troops of Philippe V of Spain (1718 - 1719).
- August 11th: Demolished Spanish fleet with the Battle of the course Passaro off Sicily.
- October 24th: Victor-Amédée Ier of Savoy accepts the exchange of the Sardinia against the Sicily.
- October 30th: Charles XII of Sweden tackles the south of the Norway. Another Swedish army directed by Carl Gustaf Armfeldt old the moves towards Trondheim.
- November 30th: Charles XII, king of Sweden, is killed in doubtful circumstances with the seat of Fredrikshald. It leaves behind him a kingdom exhausted and delivered to the disorder. After 107 years, the Sweden loses its statute of great power and must give up its dominant position in Baltique.
- December 2nd: Arrest of Swedish the Prime Minister, Georg Heinrich von Görtz, by the future Frederic Ier of Sweden.
- December 6th: Ulrique Éléonore adapts the crown of Sweden.
- December 15th: Ulrique Éléonore gives up the absolutime and thus opens the way with the era of freedom.
- December 27th: The the United Kingdom declares the war with the Spain. Beginning of the War of the Quadruple Alliance
- Generalization of the system of the intendants in Spain.
- dry Spring and summers and heat (1718 - 1737).
- January 28th: Disgrace of the duke of Noailles and the chancellor of Aguesseau in front of its opposition to the System of Law. It must yield the Sceaux to of Argenson, in favor of the Jésuites (fine in 1720)
- In front of the weakening of its capacity, the duke of Orleans, under the council of the Minister of Justice, returns to a policy of firmness towards the Parliaments and the Jansenists.
- May: The experimentation of the financial system of Law (joint stock companies) starts a frenzy of speculation and agiotage and causes an economic boom. The inflation of the actions and banknotes must cancel the national debt and multiply the activities.
- June: The Members of Parliament protest against the inflationary system of Law. In August, a bed of justice breaks their revolt.
- August 26th: Guillaume Dubois becomes secretary of foreign affairs.
- August - September: End of liberal Regency, beginning of authoritative Regency.
- September 10th: Early grape harvest in the North of France.
- September 24th:
- the Regent gets rid of the Councils of the Polysynodie and inaugurates a system more centralized under the crook of Dubois. The old Court, isolated of the capacity, is sprinkled by banknotes of Law (of Antin, Bourbon-Cop).
- Claude the White Secretary of State of the War.
- September: Law obtains the lease of the farm of the tobaccos.
- December 13rd: Conspiracy of Cellamare. Guillaume Dubois makes stop Antonio del Giudice, prince de Cellamare, the duke and the duchess of Maine, culprits of a plot against the Regent with Philippe V of Spain and its minister Alberoni.
- February: The tsarévitch Alexis (1690-1718), opposed to the policy of sound father, is deposed of its quality of heir.
- Mars: The former tsarina Eudoxie, shown of adultery, is exiled in a cloister on the edges of the Lac Ladoga.
- June 26th/July 7th: Alexis Pétrovitch, heir to the throne of Russia, is assassinated in prison at the instigation of his/her father, the tsar Pierre Large the.
- Congress of Åland (1718 - 1719), which does not decide anything about the Baltic territories.
- Creation of three colleges (trade, manufactures and mines) between 1718 and 1722 to supervise the economic activity.
Arts & culture
See also: 1718 with the theater
- During its stay with the Bastille, Voltaire writes his first tragedy Oedipus .
- spiritual Works , of Fénelon.
- Publication of Dialogs on the eloquence in general, and that of the pulpit in particular , of Fénelon, written about 1684.
Sciences and technology
- Gabriel Daniel Fahrenheit manufactures the Thermomètre with mercury.
- At the time of the head office of Fredrikshald the Swedish philosopher Swedenborg imagines a method of transport making it possible to make pass the boats by overland route.
- Foundation of a Natural history museum of natural history in Russia.
Economy & company
- Mercenary attitude in Prussia.
- the currency Castilian plays a national part in Spain.
- Creation of the cloth manufacture and fabrics of Guadalajara in Spain.
- Beginning of the colonization of the Banat evacuated by the Othoman , on the initiative of the government of the marshal von Mercy (1660-1734).
- Taken again marketing activity on the the Danube. The Eastern Company exports towards Constantinople objects out of iron and cloth, and imports of it wool, skins and cattle.
Births in 1718
- March 31st: Marie-Anne-Victoire de Bourbon, infante-queen of Portugal († January 15th 1781, 62 years)
- May 16th: Maria Gaetana Agnesi, Italian mathematician († January 9th 1799)
- June 5th: Thomas Chippendale, British cabinetmaker
- July 13rd: John Canton, British physicist
- October 19th: Victor-François de Broglie, Duke of Broglie, Marshal of France († March 30th 1804)
Death in 1718
Be-X-old: 1718 Map-bms: 1718 Simple: 1718 Zh-yue: 1718 年
|Random links:||Andre Belleau | Alkemade | Wearing of Brussels | Al-Aacha | TSV Schwieberdingen|