This page relates to the year 1696 Gregorian Calendrier.
- March 27th: the students of the Université of Mexico City burn the scaffold of Plaza de Armas at the time of a riot which the viceroy Juan Ortega there Montañés makes repress.
Pierre Moyne d' Iberville attacks strong Pemaquid (William Henry, Maine) which capitulates the August 15th.
- November 30th: capitulation of Ferryland. Pierre LeMoyne d' Iberville conquers Newfoundland.
- Frontenac, Callières and Ramezay, with the assistance of 2 000 soldiers, militiamans and Amerindians, destroy a village given up by Onontagués (Iroquois) and devastate all harvests of its inhabitants, close to Oswego.
- Rene Lepage of Co.-Claire founds Rimouski.
- Mars: establishment of the French company of the Senegal.
- Nlaza Pedro IV is elected king (Manicongo) with the Congo (fine in 1718). It reconquers its capital São El Salvador in 1709.
Asia & Indian world
- the khan of Dzoungarie Galdan invades the country Khalkha. Kangxi intervenes in person with the head of the Chinese army.
- June 12th: Galdan is overcome by the Mandchous of Fei-yang-kou and their artillery close to Ourga on the Tola and flees towards the west with the survivors of its army.
- Tibet : The regent of the Dalaï LAMA, Sangyé Gyatso founds the medical Board of the Chakpori to Lhassa.
- the English found a commercial counter with Calcutta in India.
- January: Recoinage Act ; passage of the standard money to the gold standard in England. The value of the sterling remains stable until in 1931, except for 1797 - 1816 and 1914 - 1925.
- June 6th: Catinat takes Ath.
- June 17th:
- Fine of the reign of the king of Poland Jean III Sobieski.
- Jean Bart meets a Dutch fleet coming from Baltique on the Dogger Bank. It takes five men-of-war to the boarding and captures 45 tradind ships.
- June 26th: Secret treaty of Turin between Victor-Amédée Ier of Savoy and Louis XIV for the conquest of the Milanese.
- July 18th: The tsar Pierre Large the takes the town of Azov to the Othoman . The city is populated Western Russians, sailors and craftsmen.
- August 29th: treaty of Turin between the France and the Savoy. Louis XIV restores all his states with the duke of Savoy, which changes camp
- October 7th: Treaty of Vigevano between the duke of Savoy and the allies. Armistice in Italy.
- the Tsar Pierre Large the founds the Russian fleet. A fleet is built with Voronej, in the basin of the Don. 23 galères are put at flood for the catch of Azov.
- England: The share of the Land tax in the taxes reaches 52% then declines to be maintained around 30% after 1730. The indirect taxes ( customs and excise ) take over.
- Mars: Bearing edict ennoblement, realizing finances, of more than 500 people chosen among the most distinguished from the kingdom.
- July 19th: Declaration that no one cannot exert the Médecine if it were not received doctor in some university.
- July 28th: Died of Charles Colbert de Croissy. His/her son Torcy succeeds to him the Foreign affairs.
- Arrived at Versailles of the young person Marie-Adelaide of Savoy, intended to marry the duke of Burgundy.
- Edict of creation of the general control of the armorial bearings
- the pope creates the festival of the Virgin Mary.
- the father Jesuit Louis Lecomte publishes new reports on the state of the China which carries the controversy on the Chinese rites.
- Christianity not mysterious , of the Irishman converted with the Protestantism John Toland, which attacks the bases even Christianisme.
- Noailles, archbishop of Paris, succeeds, thanks to the assistance of Bossuet, to dodge the reproaches which oppose to him the féneloniens and the Jésuites about its sympathies Jansénistes.
Art & culture
See also: 1696 with the theater
- Republications of the Characters of Jean of the Heather, re-examined and increased new portraits.
- Correspondence , of Madam de Sévigné.
- Shortened History of Port-Royal of Jean Root (published 1742 with 1767).
- historical and critical Dictionary of Pierre Bayle.
- the Player , part of Jean-François Regnard.
- Aldermen of Paris in front of Holy-Genevieve , fabric of Nicolas de Largillière.
Births in 1696
- March 5th: Giambattista Tiepolo painter and Italian engraver
- October 17th: Auguste III, king of Poland († October 3rd 1763)
Death in 1696
- February 5th: The Marchioness of Sévigné (Marie of Rabutin-Chantal), French writer.
- February 8th: Ivan V of Russia.
- May 10th: Jean of the Heather, writer French.
- May 17th: Antoine d' Aquin, former first doctor of the king and small son of a rabbi of Avignon.
- June 17th: Jean III Sobieski, king of Poland (° August 17th 1629)
- July 28th: Charles Colbert de Croissy.
- December 28th: Miguel de Molinos, theologist Spanish quietist, in prison with Rome (1628 -1696).
- Jean Richer, French astronomer.
- April 22nd: Easter Sunday
Be-X-old: 1696 Map-bms: 1696 Simple: 1696
|Random links:||142 | Salto con pÃ©rtiga | Montseveroux | Chris Tynan | Eddie Kaye Thomas | Wallace Roney | Proclamation_d'émancipation|