This page relates to the year 1678 Gregorian Calendrier.
- May 11th: Disasters of the islands of Aves, with the Venezuela. Seventeen ships and 500 French sailors directed by Jean D' Estrées are lost.
- June: Raid of the corsair Michel de Grandmont against the Spanish territories of the Venezuela (Trujillo and Guaira).
- August 10th: The France obtains Tobago with the Traité of Nimègue.
- September; Canada: Of Lhut, assisted by his/her brother Tourette, engages of the business transactions on the Lac Nipigon and with the mouth of the river Kaministikwia.
- October: The French explorer Louis Hennepin discovers the Chutes of the Niagara.
- the capital of the Congo, San Salvador, is devastated and given up.
- the emperor Moghol Aurangzeb appendix the Marwar (Jodhpur) benefitting from died from its rajah Jaswant Singh.
- Rijklof van Goens becomes general governor of the Dutch Compagnie of the Eastern Indies (fine in 1681).
- Mataram yields the area of Preanger, in the west of Java, with the Company of the Dutch Indies.
The Middle East
- Arménie : the Catholicos Hagop IV share of Etchmiadzine for Rome, with an aim of asking to the pope the intervention Christian powers of Europe in Arménie, in exchange of what it would be close placing the Christian Church in Roman obedience. He dies in way, and the delegation regains Arménie except for Israel Ori, wire of one of the five melik of Karabakh, 19 years old.
- January 4th, France: Vauban becomes general police chief with the fortifications.
- January 10th: Treaty of $the Hague between the United Provinces and the England.
- February: Luxembourg, Namur, Charlemont, Ypres is invested to mask the French offensive on Ghent
- March 11th Prise Ghent by the French.
- March 25th: Ypres is taken by the French.
- Mars: Louis XIV gives up the insurrectionists of Messine to obtain better conditions with Nimègue. They are constrained per thousands with the exile.
- July 28th: Charles IV of Lorraine takes Kehl and passes the the Rhine to Altenheim.
- August 10th - September 17th: Treaty of Nimègue between the France, the Spain and the United Provinces putting an end to the War of Holland. Spain must yield the Franche-Comté and exchange the enclaves of north against 12 cities of which Saint-Omer, Cambrai, Valencian and Maubeuge which closes the ways of invasions of the France by north. Eléonore de Habsbourg wife Charles V of Lorraine.
- 14 - August 15th: undecided Battle of Saint-Denis between Luxembourg and Guillaume III of Orange.
- November: Serban Cantacuzène (1640-1688) becomes prince of Valachie. It tries to free Valachie from the Othoman supervision .
- Constitution of the Rooms of meeting, groups of expert in right charged to extend the French claims beyond the frontier assets made since 1648.
- Agreements between the Poland and the Russia, renewing the peace of Androussovo.
- Guerre enters the Russia and the Sweden.
- the Hungarian rebel against the capacity of the Habsbourg.
- September 6th: Business of the Popish Stud with London, forged by the fabulator Titus Oates, who claims to denounce a plot papist fomented by the Jésuites. A deep constrained current anticatholic Parliament to imprison, condemn, exclude the catholics suspected of plotting for the re-establishment of a monarchy subjected to Rome. Repression costs the life about thirty victims.
- October 12th: Assassination of the magistrate Edmund Berry Godfrey with Primrose Hill, London. Titus Oates proclaims that is a proof of the plot.
- Vis-a-vis the possibility of seeing the catholic Jacques, duke of York, of succeeding his/her brother Charles II, part of the political community is raised between 1678 and 1681 and tries to organize the succession by excluding York ( Exclusion Crisis ).
- Turbid in Scotland. Revolt Scot to preserve the presbyterianism whereas monarchy wants to impose the Church Anglican. The martial law is founded.
- Bref Jampridem audivimus on the question of the Droit of levels of the pope Innocent XI.
- Bossuet receives the abjuration of Miss Duras.
- Bossuet makes put at the rammer the critical History of the Old Will of Richard Simon.
Art & culture
- February 18th: Publication of the The Pilgrim' S progress , periodic mystic of John Bunyan (1678 - 1685).
- Mars: The countess of Fayette anonymously publishes its novel “ the Princess of Clèves ”.
- June 25th: Elena Cornaro Piscopia obtains its diploma of philosophy to the Université of Padoue, becoming thus the first graduate society woman of a university.
Serban Cantacuzène founds the first Rumanian school with Bucharest and makes replace the Slavon by the Rumanian in the liturgy of the orthodoxe Church.
- Fables of the Fountain (VII-XI).
- Apology or the true Memories for Marie Mancini.
- Glossarium AD scriptores mediæ and infimæ latinitatis of Of Cange.
- Very for the love , version of Antoine and Cléopâtre of Shakespeare by John Dryden.
See also: 1678 with the theater
- Foundation of the Opera of Hamburg.
- the Immaculate Conception , fabric of Murillo.
- Jules Hardouin-Mansart begins the wing of the South with Versailles.
- Charles Le Brun conceives the Galerie of the Ices to the Palais of Versailles (fine in 1684).
Science & technology
- the Astronome English Edmund Halley publishes the first Catalog of stars of the southern hemisphere (341 stars).
- Huygens exposes in its Traité light the undulatory theory of the light.
- geographical Mercury of the father Augustin Lubin (it tries to fix the scientific vocabulary of the geography).
Economy & company
Births in 1678
- March 3rd: Marie-madeleine Bulge of Verchères, heroin of the News-France.
- March 4th: Antonio Vivaldi, Italian type-setter.
- Abraham Darby industrial British, inventor of the Blast furnace to the coke
Death in 1678
- January 16th: Madeleine de Souvré, marchioness of Sanded (Courtenvaux, the Sarthe, 1599 - Port-Royal, 1678), French woman of letters.
- July 12th: Antoine III of Grammont, duke of Grammont, Marshal of France. (° 1604).
- August 16th: Andrew Marvell, English poet (° March 31st 1621, 57 years)
- October 18th: Jacob Jordaens, Flemish painter with Antwerp.
- December 9th: Robert Nanteuil, French painter.
- nonwell informed or unknown Dates :
- Giacomo Torelli, painter and Italian Scenographer (1604 -1678).
- Gilles Guerin, French sculptor.
- Marie Guichon, woman of Charles Perrault.
- April 10th: Easter Sunday
Be-X-old: 1678 Map-bms: 1678
|Random links:||Saint-Emile-of-Suffolk | Vera Films | Theorem of representation of Riesz | Jacques Ploncard d' Assac | Transmitter of medium waves of Sölvesborg | Einhard|