This page relates to the year 1672 Gregorian Calendrier.
- April 7th: Louis Buade de Frontenac becomes general governor of the News-France (1672 - 1682 and 1689 - 1698). It makes during ten years a policy of direct government and assimilation.
- November: Jean Talon leaves definitively Quebec for health reasons.
With the Quebec, Mgr of Laval tackles the principle of the distributions of alcohols to the natives by the tradesmen and the runners of wood.
- Population of the News-France: 6 700.
- Population of the New England: 120 000.
- the white colonists of the Cape constitute themselves in military company (obligation of the military service and the annual drive for all the men from 16 to 60 years).
- April: Beginning of the reign of Mulay Ismaïl, king of the Morocco (fine in 1727).
- Mulay Rachid dies after a fall of horse. His/her young brother Mulay Ismaïl will complete his work of reunification of the Morocco. He pacifies his kingdom at the price of bloody repressions. To maintain the order and to reconquer the cities occupied by Europeans, it constitutes an Arab militia ( guich of Ouadaïs ) and an army primarily made up of Sudanese, who reaches 150 000 men. With Meknès, its capital, it receives ambassadors, in particular of the France, England and Spain to bind commercial relations.
- the English bombard Algiers.
- Revolt of the Afridi of Akmal Khan in Afghanistan against the Moghols (fine in 1675).
- a French fleet appears in front of Ceylon. The attempt fails.
- Rampjaar , the Year of Disaster for the Netherlands. The country is attacked is by the bishops of Münster and Cologne, of the south by the France and on the the North Sea by the England. In spite of his treaty with the republic Dutchwoman the king of England had signed a secret treaty with France “to reduce” the “arrogant” republic too much. Guillaume III ( William III ) of Orange carries out Dutch defense.
- April 6th: Beginning of the War of Holland between the France and the United Provinces prepared by Hugues de Lionne, not declared, just announced by Louis XIV (fine in 1678).
- April 14th: Charles XI of Sweden is committed being been opposing militarily to the German princes who would like to carry help to the United Provinces.
- May 6th: Treaty of Cöln-on-the-Spee between the United Provinces and the Brandebourg.
- June: The French attack by surprised by the east while crossing the electorate of Cologne, jointly with an English offensive in the North Sea.
- June 7th: Dutch naval Victoire of the admiral De Ruyter on the British with the Battle of Solebay.
- June 12th: The French Army passes the the Rhine close to Tolhuis.
- June 16th: Catch of Arnhem, then of Wiesel and Nimègue by the French.
- June 20th: The Dutchmen flood their Polder S to save Amsterdam.
- June 27th: Taken Utrecht where the French Army establishes its districts until July.
- June 28th: Guillaume III of Orange becomes Stathouder of Holland (end in 1702). It seizes the power completely. The perpetual Edict is abolished and Guillaume III promoted admiral and general captain (July-August).
- July 23rd: Alliance of the emperor Léopold Ier with the United Provinces with $the Hague.
- August 20th: Massacre brothers Jean and Corneille De Witt with $the Hague during a popular riot orangist.
- August: The rebellion is organized in Hungary (Kuruc) with the assistance of the Transylvania.
- September 10th: Turenne enters in the median Rhineland, in spite of the imperial forces and Brandebourg eoises.
- October 18th, war enters the Poland and the Ottoman Empire: treaty of Buczacz.
- the Cossacks Zaporogue S, under the control of the hetman Dorochenko, decide to be put under the suzerainty of the sultan, who invades the Podolie (July 18th) and seizes Kamenietz (August 27th). It puts the seat in front of Łwow, which it takes. To the treaty of Buczacz, close to the border (October 18th), the Podolie passes under the authority of the Porte and Poland commits itself paying a war indemnity to the winner.
- October 26th: The Habsbourg repress the Hungarian rebellion.
- December 18th: Reign effective of Charles XI of Sweden.
Conspiracy della Torre, with Genoa.
- Turbid with Metz-native. Malvezzi (rich person anti-Spanish) are opposed to Merli (popular environments favorable to Madrid). Malvezzi call upon Louis XIV, then in war against the Spain (1674).
- January 28th: Died of the chancellor Pierre Séguier, who opens the decline of the State of justice compared to the State of finance.
- : Louvois, adviser
- March 23rd: Heredity of the offices of notary, prosecutors, ushers, sergeants and archers.
marquis de Chamlay, chief of Staff during the campaigns of Flanders.
- Sebastien Prestre de Vauban founds the regiments of the military Engineering French.
- Mars: Orthodoxe profession of faith of Dosithée II Notaras. The synod of Jerusalem, chaired by the patriarch Dosithée II Notaras, condemns the profession of faith of 1629 of the patriarch of Constantinople Cyrille Loukaris.
Declaration of Indulgence of Charles II of England.
- Suppression of all the commercial privileges of the clergy in Russia.
- Russia: Religious dissidents immolent themselves by fire with Nijni-Novgorod. These collective suicides are spread (37 cases until in 1691, more than 2000 victims).
Arts & culture
- College of the Irishmen with Paris.
- Reflections on the old and modern tragedy , test of Saint-Évremond.
- Observations on the French language of Household.
See also: 1672 with the theater
the cabinetmaker Boulle succeeds Jean Macé as regular supplier of the Crown.
- François Blondel builds the Porte Saint-Denis.
- Lully buys with Perrin the privilege of the royal Académie of music. It obtains the monopoly of the musical representations thus.
Sciences & technology
- the Astronome Jean-Dominique Cassini becomes the first director of the Observatoire of Paris and discovers the satellite of Saturn Rhéa. With the assistance of Jean Richer, it measures scientifically the distance Ground - Sun. He will be the father of the cartography of the kingdom.
- Sir Isaac Newton is elected with the Royal Society.
- Isaac Newton presents the telescope to reflection.
- Leibniz creates a Calculating machine able to multiply, divide and extract the square roots.
- the grenade becomes an important weapon. The first companies of pomegranates are made up in the French Army.
Economy & company
- Bad harvests in Europe related to the coldness of the climate (1672 - 1677).
- Increase in the fiscal charge related to the war until the end of the reign of Louis XIV.
- Development of the French fleet: 120 ship of the lines (18 in 1661), 30 galères.
- the French Army counts 120 000 men. Refunding of the “expenses of stages” caused by the regiments of passage in the provinces.
- In England, the banking system is managed by the goldsmiths of London, who have safes. Exceed currency is locked up with the Tour of London. Charles Ier of England had benefitted from it to take a loan compulsory on the reserves, which shakes the credit of the goldsmiths. In 1672, Charles II of England cannot refund another loan, causing the bankruptcy of the goldsmiths.
Births in 1672
May 1st: Joseph Addison, statesman, writer and poet English (1672-1719)
- June 9th: Pierre Ier of Russia, tsar of 1682 with 1725.
- October 20th: Louis-Antoine Muratori, Italian writer (1672-1750)
Death in 1672
- April 21st: Antoine Godeau, man of letters and bishop French.
- April 30th: Marie of the Incarnation, Ursuline and mystical French (° 1599)
- April: Mulay Rachid, sultan of the Morocco.
- May 8th: Mr. de Tréville, Lieutenant Capitaine of the company of the Musketeer S
- May 9th: François of Mothe Vayer, writer libertine (Paris, 1588 -1672).
- July 3rd: Francis Willughby, ornithologist and ichthyologist English (° 1635).
- September 12th: Tanneguy the Boilerman, philologist and hellenist French.
- September 16th: Anne Bradstreet, first American woman writer . (° 1612).
- November 6th: Heinrich Schütz (Köstritz, 1585 - Dresden, 1672), German type-setter, major figure of the German Baroque music at the 17th century.
- November 16th: Franciscus of Boë Sylvius, biologist.
- December 16th: Jean II Casimir Vasa, king of Poland (° March 22nd 1609)
nonwell informed or unknown Dates :
- April 17th: Easter Sunday
Be-X-old: 1672 Map-bms: 1672 Simple: 1672
|Random links:||Charles Quint, ascent on three degrees | Magadha | Akalabeth | Saint-Bauzille-of-fitchet | Varenna | Erasmus_Alberus|