This page relates to the year 1583 Gregorian Calendrier.
- August 5th: Sir Humphrey Gilbert takes officially possession of Newfoundland for the crown of England. Colonists are sent there.
- May, Japan: Katsuie Shibata is beaten by Hideyoshi Toyotomi with the Bataille of Shizugatake.
- Mongolia: With died of Altan Khan, its empire which extends from the Koukou-NOR to the great wall is not long in disintegrating in rival feudal fields. The absence of markets and exchanges between the various territories as well as the policy of the Ming, which endeavor to divide feudal Mongolian, would explain for a share the failure of the restoration of the Mongolian empire.
The Middle East
- Taken Bakou by the Othoman .
- exceptionally hot Year in Germany of the South.
- July 3rd: The tsar of Russia Ivan IV Terrible the kills his/her Ivan son in an access of anger.
- 26 - July 27th: Spanish unloading with Baía das Mós, on the island of Terceira, with the the Azores. A French fleet tries to seize for the second time the the Azores to establish Antoine there, claiming with the Portuguese throne, and knows the same failure as the previous year. The August 11th the archipelago is subjected by the Spaniards of Juan de Urbina.
- August 10th: Truce enters the Russia, the Poland and the Sweden negotiated thanks to the Jesuit Antonio Possevino. The Sweden preserves all its conquests (Narva, Revel), and removes in Russia the only outlet which it had on the gulf of Finland. Poland definitively annexes the Duché of Courlande, the province of Polotsk and the Livonie with Dorpat.
- August 19th: Petru II Cercel enters to Bucharest and becomes prince of Valachie.
- August: John Whitgift becomes archbishop of Canterbury. Partisan of a hierarchical Church, it imposes on the clergy Anglican the oath of obedience (October).
- October 22nd: Frederic IV becomes Elector Palatine (fine in 1610). It imposes the Calvinisme on its subjects.
- November 2nd, Ireland: Devastation of Munster by John Perrot and died of Gerald. The Norman princes Fitzgerald de Desmond are crushed.
- Monday December 12th: Gregoire XIII designates as cardinals four future popes Urbain VII, Gregoire XIV, Innocent IX and Leon XI.
- December 17th: destruction of the castle of Bad Godesberg by the archbishop Gebhart Ier de Waldburg, convert with the Calvinism.
- Albert de Habsbourg becomes governor of the Portugal.
- Institutional reforms with Venice.
- Exchange of letters between Ivan IV and Elisabeth Anger of England at the time of a project of marriage between Ivan and Marie Hasting, niece of Elisabeth.
- January 18th: failure of the duke of Anjou to the Netherlands. Its knack missed on Antwerp completes to discredit it near the Dutchmen. It returns in France where it dies in 1584.
- Taken Dixmude and of Nieuport by Alexandre Farnèse.
- Taken Antwerp by Alexandre Farnèse (1583 - 1585).
- : Michel de Montaigne is re-elected for a second mandate with the load of mayor of Bordeaux.
- August 24th: Flood of the the Rhone in the Camargue.
- August: Henri III tries to approach Henri de Navarre. It drives out his sister Marguerite de Valois of the court
- November 18th: Catherine de Médicis in vain tries to reconcile the king and Mister.
Art & culture
- January 26th: The Accademia della Crusca, first academy of Italian language is founded with Florence.
- April: The Italian philosopher Giordano Bruno goes to London (1583 - 1585), under the protection of the ambassador of France and attends the circle of the English poet Sir Philip Sidney.
Treated constancy , of Right Lipse.
- Monteverdi composes its madrigaux with several voices.
- Giambologna carves the Abduction of Sabines .
- Construction of the Quirinal to Rome.
- With the Japan, Hideyoshi Toyotomi builds the castle of Ōsaka. The painter Eitoku decorates it.
- In China, construction of the burial of the emperor Wanli, close to the Beijing, most spectacular of the tombs Ming, 1583 with 1590. It costs the emperor the price of 227 tons money. Behind doors autobloquantes of marble is incredible richnesses: money and gold ustensils, brocarts, clothing and personal objects of the emperor and his partners, imperial treasures and badges.
Science & technology
- Scaliger begins its work on the scientific base of the chronology.
Economy & company
- Famine in Italy, especially in the Papal States.
- August: Food shortage with Marseilles. Rationing.
- Tax on brandies in Bohemia.
Births in 1583
- September 9th: Girolamo Frescobaldi, Italian type-setter
- December 25th: Orlando Gibbons, English type-setter
nonwell informed or unknown Dates :
- Nzingha, warlike queen of Ndongo (the Angola of today)
Death in 1583
- March 15th: the happy William Binder, English priest martyr.
- June 29th: Lorenzo Suárez de Mendoza, 5th viceroy of News-Spain. (° v. 1518).
nonwell informed or unknown Dates :
- Altan, khan of the Mongolian
- Wakhchi, Persan poet
|Random links:||Black Sea | Toshiki Kaifu | Antoine de Galbert | Mount-Gauthier | Ernst-Robert Grawitz | Coil (spectacle) | Unité_monétaire_européenne|