This page relates to the year 1524 Calendrier Julien.
- January 17th - March 7th: The explorer Florentin Giovanni da Verrazano, travelling for the account of François Ier de France and for ship-owners of Dieppe, explores the coast of the North America Cape Fear, in North Carolina (January 17th) with the island of the Cape Breton, in Nouvelle Scotland. He discovers bay of New York and the mouth of the river Hudson (March 7th). He has a presentiment of that North America constitutes a continent.
- Cristobal de Oli, which had been declared independent with the Honduras, is killed by Francisco de Las Put on the order of Hernán the Cortes.
- October 12th: The Cortes, being unaware of the death of Oli, assembles a punitive forwarding to Honduras. The last Aztec emperor Cuauhtémoc, suspected of wanting to raise the Indians, is hung by the Cortes during forwarding (February 28th 1525). The Cortes reached Nito (San Gil de Buena Vista), then embarks for Trujillo, which it leaves by the sea the April 25th 1526 to join Mexico City, in prey with the intrigues and the conspiracies.
- December 8th: Francisco Hernández de Córdoba founds Granada (Nicaragua).
- Creation of the the Council of the Indies chaired by Juan Rodriguez de Fonseca.
- the Hydrography , of George Baker, affirms that Dieppois sailors, Gerard and Roussel, reached the coast of the Brésil before the Portuguese and arrived to a large river (the the Amazon?).
- Arrived of 12 franciscains in News-Spain.
- the Spaniard Gum between in the Baie of Fundy (Canada).
The Middle East
- May 23rd: Beginning of the reign of Shah Tamasp (fine in 1576), Persian king Séfévide of . It organizes the capacity séfévide: it establishes an administration which perceives the tax used with maintains a standing army.
- Died of the Murad sultan to Urfa. The dynasty of the Ak Koyunlu dies out with him.
- Revolts in Egypt.
February: Believed of the Drac and the Isere.
- April 10th: Majority of Jacques V of Scotland, old 12 years.
- April 29th: Died of Bayard, military French, of a blow of Arquebus, whereas it protected the rear-guard from the French Army to the passage of Sesia with Romagnano.
- May 24th: A gigantic fire destroyed 1 500 dwellings in the district of the Belfry and Croncels, with Troyes.
- July 4th: The Spanish captain Philibert de Chalon and its ship falls to the hands from the French which occupy the port of Villefranche.
- July 26th: Died of Claude of France. It yields before dying the Brittany with her son the dolphin François, which becomes Duc of Brittany under the name of François III.
- August 15th: beginning of a country rising in Germany against the landowners the Revolt of the bumpkins (fine in 1525).
- August-September: Failure of Imperial of the Constable of Bourbon in front of Marseilles inflicted by the admiral Doria. They must withdraw Provence (September 29th). The French cross the Comté of Nice and are with Milan in October. They put the seat in front of Pavia (October 26th) and detach 6000 men against Naples.
- October 28th: Sit of Pavia by the French.
- December 25th: The pope Clément VII opens solemnly the ninth Jubilé (Holy year) .
- Thomas Howard, duke of Norfolk, enters to the Council of the king of England.
- Olaus $petri between with the royal chancellery of Sweden.
- Movement in favor of the Sture in Sweden, animated by Kristina Gyllenstierna, widow of Sten Sture, assisted of his/her Nile son. Two men of the church support it, Peter Jakobsson Sunnanväder, bishop of Västerås, and Knut Mikaelsson, canon of its cathedral. The revolt is fed by the mediocrity of the currency, the raising of prices, the lack of salt, the introduction from abroad and old faithful of Christian II of Denmark into the administration. After the failure of this revolt, Kristina gives up any political activity and marries, on the council of Gustav Vasa, Ture Jönsson Vasa Tre Rosor.
- Charles Quint takes again the Frise.
- Parliament of Ratisbon where takes part Ferdinand de Habsbourg, eager to reform the religion to bring closer Lutherans and catholic.
- Plague with Milan.
- Installation of a centralization of the Treasury in France.
- Stop of the Parliament of Paris abolishing the professional brotherhoods.
- Martin Luther introduces the black cassock of the preacher.
- Test on the free will of Érasme, where it attacks Luther on the topic of the free will whose Luther denied the existence.
Gaetan de Thiene and Jean-Pierre Carafa, bishop of Chieti ( Theatinum , in Latin) found the first congregation of regular clerks, the Théatin S. It settles with Venice in the Church Saint-Nicolas-of-Tolentino after the bag of Rome in 1527.
- Œcolampade leads the reform to Basle.
- the Viennese Gaspar Tauber is the first Protestant one of Austria carried out for heresy.
Art & culture
- Prose beyond volgar italia , of Pietro Bembo (1470 - 1547). Philologist and linguist, it revalues the use of the Italian vulgar language.
Jules Romain builds the Palais of Te (1524-1530).
- Michel-Angel is in charge of the construction of the library of the Médicis.
- the Château of Azay-the-Curtain is completed.
Births in 1524
Death in 1524
February 5th: Hans Holbein Old the, German painter.
- April 29th: Bayard, military French.
- July 26th: Claude of France, duchess of Brittany and queen of France.
- October 5th: Joachim Patinir or Joachim Patenier, Flemish painter (° v. 1485).
- December 24th: Vasco de Gama, Portuguese navigator, vice king of the Portuguese Indies. Deceased with Cochin, in India.
- Jean Lemaire of Belgians, poet and chronicler.
Be-X-old: 1524 Map-bms: 1524 Simple: 1524
|Random links:||Modern pentathlon with the Olympic Games of 1984 | Lord Price | Snowy Mountains | Pierre-François Davelu | Jean-Louis Caccomo | Empedocles|