This page relates to the year 1517 Calendrier Julien.
- February 8th: The Spanish navigator Francisco Hernández de Córdoba share of Cuba to explore the coasts north and west of the Yucatán, where he discovers the cities Maya S.
- March 4th: Francisco Hernández de Córdoba meets the Maya Yucatán. Only some small towns still survive.
- Juan de Grijalva follows the coasts north and west of the Gulf of Mexico until the Río Pánuco.
- Vasco Núnez de Balboa tries a forwarding in the Pacifique after having made transport ships out of element through the isthmus of Panama (1517 - 1518). He is decapitated on his return to Acla by his successor Pedro Arias Dávila (January 15th 1519).
- Bartolomé de Las Put is charged to cure the evils of the natives.
- August 15th: Failure of an embassy of the Portugal in China.
- Alfonso de Albuquerque sends Worse the Tomes apothecary in embassy to the court of the Ming to establish diplomatic relations. Worse included/understood than the only means of making deals with China and of resorting to the tributes, which governs the Chinese system since centuries. The embassy unloads the August 15th close to Canton and is led to Beijing, but cultural incidents emerge. Everyone is thrown in prison and the embassy is expelled.
Beginning of the reign in India of Ibrahim Shah, last sultan Lodi of Delhi (fine in 1526). It is constrained by the noble Afghans to share the capacity with his Jalal brother who asserted part of the kingdom. With resulting from the war which opposes it to Jalal, Ibrahim Shah makes it assassinate. He seeks to reduce the autonomy acquired by the Afghan chiefs during the war.
The Middle East
- the Othoman under Sélim Ier conquer the Egypt, it is the end of the sultanate Mamelouk.
- January: Sélim approaches the Cairo with its army.
- January 22nd: The last sultan Mameluke Touman Bey tries to bar the road to him but is beaten with Bataille of Ridannya then strangled three months later on the order of Sélim.
- February 3rd: Sélim enters to Cairo and appendix Egypt Mameluke. According to the tradition, the Abbasid caliph ` Al-Mutawakkil III taken refuge in Cairo, taken along to Istanbul like hostage, would have yielded his title to him ( Emir Al mumimin , commander of the believers).
- Egypt becomes a province of the Ottoman Empire. An Othoman governor is named to perceive the tribute and to manage the country. Under the reign of the successors of Sélim, the begs (or beys ) Mamelukes however manage to give a certain autonomy to the country, while pouring a tribute in Istanbul. The beys (lords) and the cachefs (provincial administrators) are indeed recruited among the Mamelukes who acquire little by little a real political power.
- March 11th: Charles de Habsbourg and François Ier is combined by the Traité Cambric.
- September: Arrival of Charles Quint in Spain, accompanied by its Burgundian advisers. It meets his mother with Torquemada. It sends in Flanders his younger brother, Ferdinand, around whose a party had been constituted.
- October 8th: Beginning of the foundation of the city of the Harbor.
- exceptionally hot Year in Germany of the South.
- New failure of the country League of the the higher Rhine.
- Raid devastator of the troops of Gueldre in Holland. Nearly a quarter of the population of Amsterdam must be helped by public charity.
- Christian II of Denmark attacks the Sweden (fine in 1520).
- Failure of a working revolt in England.
- the pope creates a congregation of the Croisade and orders the lifting of troops for the crusade.
- Charles de Habsbourg meets the king of England Henri VIII.
- Thanks to a treason, Vassili III of Russia conquers the last grounds independent of the old principality of Riazan (fine in 1524).
- the emperor Maximilien Ier sends its ambassador Sigismond von Herberstein in Russia to try a mediation between the large-duke of Lithuania and Vassili III.
- October 31st: Presentation on the doors of the church of the castle of Wittenberg of the 95 theses of Luther, at the origin of the Protestantism. Result of its spiritual advance, they launch the movement of the reform which attacks the pontifical capacity. The theses cause enthusiasm among German Christians, but the catholic hierarchy reacts highly. Summoned to retract (mission of Cajetan), Luther refuses. From a religious point of view, this event at the origin of the Reform mark the passage to the modern Time .
- November 8th: Died of Francisco Jiménez de Cisneros, general inquisitor of Castille (born in 1436). He had been the initiator of the confrontation of the translations Greek (the Seventy) and Latin (the Vulgate of Saint Jerome) of the Bible with the Hebrew text , this with the assistance of the Conversos. Its death chokes any biblical study or any critical approach in Spain.
- the students who follow the courses of Luther translate its theses of Latin into German and diffuse them, which starts a certain agitation around the preachers of indulgence.
- Querelle enters the Dominicain S and the exégète Johannes Reuchlin, defender of the Kabbale and the Talmud (in the Augenspiel).
Art & culture
- Insigna will peculiara , of J. Ferrault.
- Publication of the Theuerdank of max Treitzauerwein, with the glory of Maximilien Ier.
- the Arioste enters to the service of the brother of the cardinal of Este, Alphonse Ier, duke of Ferrare.
- Satires , poem inspired of the Latin authors, the Arioste (1517 - 1525).
- the Madonna of Harpies , table of Andrea del Sarto.
- Construction of the mausoleum of Sinkandar Lodi with Delhi.
- the French sculptor Nicolas Chanterène carries out the western gate of the church of the convent of Jéronimos to Belem, with the Portugal.
- Enlargings of the castle of Sintra, close to Lisbon.
- Large furnace bridge of the Saint-Jacob church to Levoča (Slovakia), of Gothic style, built by the Master engraver Pavol de Levoča, a 18,5 meters height in height.
Economy & company
- the Iberian peninsula is in full economic crisis.
- In France, the chancellor Antoine Duprat lance a protectionist policy intended to encourage national industry and to slow down the money and gold losses.
- Board of inquiry to measure the effects of the movement of the Enclosure S in England.
- the lawyer Werbözi Istvan publishes in Vienna a code of common law, the Tripartium , which affirms the equality of the barons and noble and fixes the rules of the serfdom of the peasants. This code remains until in 1780 the base of the Hungary peerage-book.
Births in 1517
Death in 1517
- March 26th: Heinrich Isaac Flemish type-setter (born v. 1450-1517).
- October 31st: Bartolomeo beyond Carried known as FRA Bartolomeo Italian painter, with Florence.
- November 8th: Francisco Jiménez de Cisneros, general inquisitor of Castille (born in 1436).
Be-X-old: 1517 Map-bms: 1517 Simple: 1517
|Random links:||Mount of Piety | Season 1994 of the WTA | District of the Art-and-Trades | Finger Eleven | Sicarios | Langue_féroïenne|