This page relates to the year 1516 Calendrier Julien.
- January 20th: Diaz de Solís, started from Jopa the December 13rd 1515, unloads with the Río of Plata (Mar Dulce) where it is killed by anthropophagous Indians Charrúa or Guaraní.
- Creation of the “foreign post” of Pernambouc (Recife), concession granted by the king of the Portugal for the exploitation of the wood of Brazil.
- Askia Mohammed is scrambled with her ally Kanta, king of the Kebbi, for the division of the spoils. Askia Mohammed must beat a retreat for the first time. Peace lasts however on the Empire Songhaï until the end of its reign.
the emir of Harrar Mahfouz, reinforced by troops and a standard come from Arabia, lance a forwarding against the Fatajar. David II of Ethiopia tightens a ambush to him, kills it, and invades the Adal where it destroys the palate of the Sultan at the time when the Portuguese fleet of Lope Soares takes Zeïla and burns the city (1517). Mohammed becomes sultan of the Adal.
the success of David II enables him to draw aside the empress Eléni capacity and to control with its own way.
the inhabitants of Algiers request its assistance from Baba `Arudj Barberousse against the Spaniards. It occupies Cherchell then, then Algiers. These successes encourage `Arudj to extend its field. It seizes Miliana, of Médéa, Ténès, then of Tlemcen (1516 - 1518).
The Middle East & world arabo-Moslem
- August 24th:
- the sultan Mamelouk of Egypt Qânsûh Ghûrî is killed by the Othoman with the Bataille of Marj Dabiq, close to Alep.
- Beginning of the reign of Touman Bey, sultan Mameluke of Egypt (fine in 1517).
- October 28th: Victoire of the Othomans on the Mamelukes with Yaunis Khan close to Gaza.
- January 23rd: With died of Ferdinand II of Aragon, the succession in Spain proves to be difficult: one claiming with the throne since 1470, the Beltraneja , girl of a king of Castille and widow of a king of Portugal, is always alive. Jeanne Insane the has legitimate rights.
- March 13rd:
- Charles Ier takes the crown of Castille and Aragon jointly with his/her mother, under the same conditions as his/her grandfather Ferdinand, it in the Holy-Gudule church of Brussels.
- Charles Quint becomes king of Sicily (Charles IV) and prince of the Netherlands.
- Beginning of the reign of Louis II Jagellon, Lajos , king of Hungary and Bohemia (fine in 1526). Wire of Ladislas, ten years old, is put under the supervision of the emperor Maximilien Ier and the king of Poland Sigismond until its majority in 1521. He will marry Marie, the sister of Charles Quint.
- March 29th: Creation of the Ghetto of Venice. The Juifs of the city are constrained by the senate of living in an island in the north of the city ( geto nuovo ). They must carry the yellow Rouelle, the pointed red hat on raised board, the belt with fringe. The women cannot leave without long veils nor broad coats draped on their dresses, to which sumptuary Lois prohibit any luxury.
August 13rd: Milan (Italy) is yielded by the Spain to the France by the Traité Boundary-line. Charles Quint is committed compensating the house for Albret which with lost the Iberian part of the Navarre. François Ier gives up his rights on the kingdom of Naples.
August 18th: Legal settlement of Bologna between François Ier and the pope Leon X, negotiated by the chancellor Antoine Duprat, who recognizes the Église gallicane (nomination with the king of the bishops and abbots, instituted by the pope). He is approved by the Ve council of Lateran. The Parliament of Paris and the Sorbonne resist the recording of the legal settlement vainly.
September 9th: The Turkish corsair Cuthogoli presents himself with 12 to 15 veils to the entry of the Adriatique.
- In Spain, Charles Quint refuses to limit the capacities of the the Holy Office and prevents the publication of a bubble of Leon X abolishing the system of the secret charges.
Arts & cultures
- the bishop of Meaux Guillaume Briçonnet, of liberal spirit, animates the “ Cénacle of Meaux ” with Lefèvre d' Etaples, Guillaume Farel, François Vatable, which will be dispersed because suspecté of Hérésie (1526).
- Olaus $petri makes his studies of theology to Leipzig, then with Wittenberg, where he becomes the disciple and the friend of Martin Luther (1516 - 1519).
- Maxime the Greek (1470 - 1556), invited by Vassili III of Russia, leaves the Mont Athos for Moscow, in order to put in order the Greek manuscripts and to re-examine the translations in Slavon of Greek liturgical texts. It supports that Moscow, third Rome, must animate the crusade against the Islam to release Holy-Sophie and Constantinople.
- Sir Thomas More publishes the Utopie ( Of optimo reipublicae statu deque nova insula Utopia ), Romance policy (critical of the political organization and nun of the monarchical mode and description of the ideal life on the island of Utopia, where reign a perfect equity enters the individuals, subjected to a Community mode which does not block of anything freedom of each one). It not evokes a religion institutionalized where several confessions could coexist, where the priests could marry, women to reach the priesthood and where atheism would be tolerated.
- Érasme writes a critical edition of the New Testament in Greek, published with Basle by Johann Froben. It is edition of the biblical text established starting from new manuscripts, which contains the original Greek text enriched by critical notes and a Latin translation more exact than that of the Vulgate.
- Institution of the Christian prince , Erasme, then to advise future Charles Quint.
- Publication of the furious Roland of the Arioste. Work is a great success at once.
- Edition of the General Cancioneiro , collection of songs, with the Portugal.
- the king François Ier makes come Léonard de Vinci to Amboise, where it spends the three last years of his life to the castle of the Clos Lucé.
- Assumption , painting of the Titien.
- Neptune and Amphitrite , fabric of Jan Gossaert.
Science & technology
- Edition of the Book of Duarte Barbosa (Geography of the East).
Economy & company
- April 23rd: The Reinheitsgebot, which regulates the manufacture and the marketing of beer, is enacted by Guillaume IV of Bavaria.
- the dyeing of Indigo is introduced in Europe.
- the Café is imported for the first time in Europe.
Births in 1516
- February 18th: Marie Tudor, future Queen of England
- March 26th: Conrad Gessner, Swiss naturalist († 1565)
Death in 1516
- January 23rd: Ferdinand Ier d' Aragon.
- August: Jerome Bosch ( Jeoren Anthoniszoon van Aeken ), Flemish painter
- October 30th: Louis Malet de Graville, Admiral de France. (° v. 1438).
- November 29th: Giovanni Bellini, Italian painter
- December 13rd: Johannes Trithemius, religious German, founder of the Cryptology
- December 27th: Jacques d' Amboise, religious French, abbot of Jumièges and Cluny, bishop of Clermont.
Be-X-old: 1516 Map-bms: 1516 Simple: 1516
|Random links:||Men, women, directions for use | Clay Shaw | Anne Pierjean | Nathaly Odent | Bakionica | Particule_élémentaire|