This page relates to the year 1498 Calendrier Julien.
- Jean Cabot organizes the one second forwarding which leaves Bristol in May with an aim of reaching the Japan by the North-West. Forwarding disappears.
- Third voyage of Christophe Colomb :
- May 30th: Departure of Sanlúcar de Barrameda with six caravel S.
- With the the Canaries, the fleet divides. A part gains Hispaniola. Colomb takes more with the south and fact stopover in the islands of the Cape Verde.
- July 31st: At the end of the crossing Colomb discovers the islands of Trinité, Tobago and Grenade.
- August 4th: Colomb arrives in the delta of the Orénoque and understands quickly that it is about a continent. He believes to have discovered the terrestrial paradise.
- August 15th: Colomb visits an small island close to the coast of what will become the Venezuela, that the autochtones name Paraguachoa (abundance of sin), that he baptizes Margarita.
- the August 30th, Colomb arrives at Hispaniola that it finds at the edge of the civil war, torn between the partisans of Bartolomeo Colomb (“foreigners”) and those of Roldan judge (Spanish of “ limpia sangre ”) and by the Indians revolted against the tyranny of Bartolomé. Colomb succeeds in restoring the calm one. It accepts that the Indians are divided ( repartimiento ) between the colonists and obtains the rallying of Roldan judge, maintained in its load. Alonso de Ojeda unloads in Hispaniola, sent by the Kings Catholiques and the Fonseca bishop, adversary of Colomb, to restore the order. He does not manage to seize the power. Later, former lieutenant de Roldan, Adrien Mogica, tries a new rising and is condemned by Colomb to be hung.
- Vasco de Gama makes stopover with Mozambique (January 25th) and with Mombasa, where the incidents with the city-States Swahili multiply are. With Malindi (Kenya), after having taken hostages to guarantee his safety, it recruits Ibn Majid, the pilot who will lead it to Calicut of 23 days.
- May 17th: Arrival of Vasco de Gama in India. Three caravel S drop anchor with Kapatt, in the north of Calicut. The zamorin, sovereign Hindu of Calicut, on the coast of Hefty fellow, enables him to establish warehouses. Vasco de Gama claims for its king the sovereignty of the Indian seas, then controlled by the Arab S, which the zamorin refuses. Its rival of Cochin is combined then with the Portuguese. The sultan Mamelouk of Egypt answers the call of the zamorin, but after a naval victory, its admiral is turned over from there.
- First purging of the Sallim, intellectuals Confucianists who tried to core the capacity in Korea, under the dynasty Chosŏn.
The Middle East
- December: Beginning of the Wars of Souabe between the Swiss Confederated and the Austria (fine in 1499).
- the Tatars of the Crimea, combined Othoman , threaten Cracow (1498 - 1499).
- Maximilien Ier names Albert of Saxony perpetual governor of Frise.
- Expulsion of Jewish of Navarre under the pressure Castilian. The king of Aragon helped of the pope Alexandre VI Borgia threatens of excommunication and interdict the sovereigns and the kingdom of Navarre, where many Aragonese Jews took refuge. Fearing the invasion of Navarre by the Kings Catholiques, the king expels or forces with conversion the Jews of Navarre. The elected Superior council and bodies disappear. The central capacity takes under its direct authority the 2 000 riders of the Santa Hermandad.
- April 7th: Charles VIII, in front of going to part of Play of palm, violently knocks the head with the lintel of a roofed passageway which it had borrowed to gain of time. He manages nevertheless to arrive to destination, where he disappears. He dies at eleven o'clock in the evening, after having begun again three times conscience and beseeched the Virgin; advent of Louis XII, his cousin, duke of Orleans, which succeeds to him without opposition.
- April 8th: Beginning of the reign of Louis XII of France. Georges d' Amboise becomes effective Prime Minister (fine in 1510). It directs the foreign affairs and Worships, while Pierre de Rohan, marshal of Gié, takes care of the Interior and the War until in 1503.
- Louis XII organizes definitively the Grand the Council, kind of court of call, evocation or cassation, bench to the national scales.
- April 9th: Anne of Brittany restores the chancellery and the council of Brittany. Philippe de Montauban is named chancellor.
- May 27th: Crown Louis XII, known as “the Father of the People”, king de France (fine of the reign in 1515).
- June: the counties of Provence and of Forcalquier are attached to the royal Domaine French.
- July 29th: In short of the Pope Alexandre VI stating the various reasons for nullity of the marriage between Louis XII and Jeanne de France.
- August 10th: Beginning of the lawsuit for the dissolution of the marriage of Louis XII with Jeanne de France.
- August 25th: the Comté of Comminges is joined together with the French royal field.
- December 17th: Cancellation of the marriage of Louis XII and Jeanne de France. It is withdrawn with Bourges and founds there the order of Annonciade in 1501. She dies in 1505.
- Meeting of the General states.
- Anne of Brittany drives out the general lieutenant Jean de Rohan which proposes its alliance with the England. It tries to take Brest by the sea.
- the pope Alexandre VI Borgia is attacked by Savonarole, which denounces the corruption of the Church and claims a reform. The pope convenes this last in Rome (which does not go there), then excommunicates it the May 13rd 1497.
- April 8th: With Florence, the arrabbiati attack the Couvent San Marco. Savonarole is stopped, considered by the judges of Florence and is condemned to death, is hung, then burned like heretic with two of his partisans (May 23rd). The republicans, carried out by Pierre Soderini endeavor to make function the institutions reformed by Savonarole.
- August 17th: Laicization of César Borgia, which becomes duke of Valentinois.
- the king of France asserts the Milanese (the grandmother of Louis XII having incipient Valentine Visconti).
- Nicolas Machiavel becomes secretary of the Republic of Florence.
Art & culture
- the Italian artist Michel-Angel starts to work on marble Pietà for Saint-Pierre of Rome.
- the Apocalypse , engraving of Albrecht To last (1497-1498).
- the Justice of Cambyse (1498-1499), fabric of Gerard David.
Science & technology
- Edition of the Cosmography of Ptolémée.
Economy & company
- 1,5 million Indians with Hispaniola. 50 million approximately in the future Spanish colonies of Latin America.
- In India, prosperous Calicut thanks to the pepper of Hefty fellow and as centers of a sales network which touches the China and the Far East, the islands of the Probe, the the West Indies, Ceylon and the Arab world.
- France: 2,1 million books of sizes is raised in 1498. The tax puncture under Louis XII will increase gently up to 3,5 million books, that is to say 63 tons of money, taking into account the devaluations of the book.
- May 20th: The Portuguese navigator Vasco de Gama reaches the town of Calicut India
- Début of the third voyage of Christophe Colomb which skirts the coasts of South America, discovers Trinidad and the Venezuela (fine in 1496).
- a dentist Chinese invents the Brosse with teeth.
Births in 1498
nonwell informed or unknown Dates :
Death in 1498
- February 4th: Antonio Pollaiolo, painter, sculptor, goldsmith and Italian engraver (born v. 1432).
- April 7th: Charles VIII, king de France.
- May 23rd: Jerome Savonarole ( Girolamo Savonarola ), Italian preacher, burned alive with Florence Italy.
nonwell informed or unknown Dates :
Be-X-old: 1498 Map-bms: 1498 Simple: 1498
|Random links:||King-wizard of Angmar | Bridget Moynahan | Frampton | Canton of Avranches | Esther Baxter | La_politique_de_l'Estonie|