This page relates to the year 1118 Calendrier Julien.
- the philosopher Avempace, exiled to Fès after the catch of Saragossa by Alphonse Ier d' Aragon enters the political life. It is by twice vizier with Fès, at the Almoravides. He will be imprisoned by twice, initially for treason, then for heresy.
The Middle East
Forwarding of Baudouin Ier of Jerusalem in Egypt with 216 knights and 400 infantrymen. It crosses the the Sinai, occupies without resistance the town of Farama and reached the Nile. Baudouin falls ill. Repatriated in Palestine, he dies on the way in el-Arish, the North-East of the Sinai (April 2nd). His/her cousin Baudouin d' Edesse succeeds to him.
the military and religious order of the Templiers is founded, with Jerusalem by Hugues de Payns and some knights (Godefroy of Saint-Love, André de Montbard, Geoffroy de Saint-Omer…) in order to protect the roads borrowed by the pilgrims.
the Comté of Edesse must give up Gargar with the Turks.
- Foundation of the Turkish principality of the Mengüdjedides of Erzindjan (Anatolia).
- the Turkish emir Ilghazi, governor of Mardin in Mésopotamie, enters Alep during the summer. He marries the girl of Ridwan and beats the recall of his troops.
- Beginning of the reign of Mahmoud II, Sultan Saljûqide of Iraq (fine in 1131).
- Sanjar, sultan Saljûqide of Persian (fine in 1157), subjects all Persia.
- Beginning of the reign of Yamîn Al-Dawla Bahrâm Shâh, sultan Ghaznavide (fine in 1152)
- August 15th: Beginning of the reign of Jean II Comnène, Byzantine Emperor (fine in 1143).
- the Jean II, called “ largest of the Comnène ” ensures interior peace thanks to its agrarian policy and consolidates the empire, centred on the Balkans. It is devoted in priority to the tender of the Serbes that the Hungary supports from now on against the Byzantine interventions.
- After the death of his/her father, Anne Comnène conspires against her brother Jean II Comnène, in the hope to put on the throne her husband the soldier Nicéphore Bryenne. The plot fails and Anne withdraws herself in a monastery, where it devotes to Alexiade , a historical work in fifteen volumes (completed in 1148).
- March 10th: Beginning of the Pontificate of the Antipape Gregoire VIII (fine in 1121).
- Henri Ier of England prohibits the wars deprived in its kingdom.
- Turlough O' Connor becomes laughed Ard Érenn (supreme king) of Ireland.
Art & culture
- Completion of the abbey third of Cluny.
- In Germany, one adds the Family name to the Prénom.
- the goldsmith Rénier of Huy runs in bronze the baptismal font of the St. Bartholomew's Day Massacre church of Liege.
Births in 1118
Death in 1118
- March 5th: Maurus, bishop of Cracow.
- April 2nd: Baudouin of Boulogne, king de Jérusalem, with Al-Arish, Palestine.
- August 15th: Alexis Ier Comnène, Byzantine Emperor.
Be-X-old: 1118 Map-bms: 1118
|Random links:||Ball | Jean Baptist Louis d' Audibert de Férussac | Fernando Cerchio | Enlarged Carlo | Ka Naung | La_Grande-Bretagne_romaine|