Its inhabitants is called Eclaibois.
Hydrography: Brook of the Mill.
The ground and peerage of this city also included/understood the village in its jurisdiction and the lords of Eclaibes were always regarded as the first founders of the Maison of Avesnes. The Seigneur S of Eclaibes played a big role in the history: they took part in the Croisade S and accepted the title of Chevaliers of Jerusalem.
Their Château is almost the only one of the area which was not entirely shaven, one still sees of them the massive towers, the thick walls, and the broad ditches. Its construction would go back to the end of XIIe century, but it would have been rebuilt with the XVIe century. It was several times besieged under the reigns of Henri II, Louis XIII and Louis XIV; Louis XI remained in 1477 there. In XVIe century, the stronghold was sold to the lord of Fosteau then passed to Charles de Croÿ which remade the castle, which was demolished with the Révolution and was used as stone quarry.
Places and monuments
Personalities related to the commune
- Common of North
- Éclaibes on the site of the national geographical Institute
- Éclaibes on the site of INSEE
- Éclaibes on the site of Quid
- Localization of Éclaibes on a chart of France and communes bordering
- Plane on Éclaibes on Mapquest
|Random links:||Business of Outreau | Agakauitai | John R. Porter | National park of Tassili | Enclosure with steps | Montrose-Gand,_Ohio|